Author Topic: It's all about the shoes  (Read 1609 times)

It's all about the shoes
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Per recent Marc Spears tweet:

"Source says Heat free agent LeBron James had a meeting with Nike today in Las Vegas and will meet with Heat president Pat Riley on Wednesday"

We forget how much being Lebron is like running a big business.  I wonder what Nike is whispering in his ear:  [fill in the blank]

Re: It's all about the shoes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
Don't think they really care where he goes just how he does it. I would imagine him winning a ring boosts his shoe sales by a solid amount, so they probably want him to go where ever he feels he has the best shot at winning which is probably what he wants anyways. The real question is what NBA team does lebron buy in 10 years?

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah I said it in another thread...

I bet they already have a commercial cut to the tune of "Coming Home".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ImCpNqbJw&feature=kp

"I know my kingdom awaits... and they've forgiven my mistakes".   Too easy.  If he signs with the Cavs, I expect to see that within 24 hours.

That intro is exactly 30 seconds... It's like it was written with the intention of being a LeBron commercial.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:25:45 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Nike pay's LeBron $15m per year, LeBron has the best selling signature shoe and his own Nike collection that sells everything from shoes to clothing to gear.

LeBron probably meets with Nike every summer.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:35:43 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:26:46 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6

"I know my kingdom awaits... and they've forgiven my mistakes".   Too easy.  If he signs with the Cavs, I expect to see that within 24 hours.

That intro is exactly 30 seconds... It's like it was written with the intention of being a LeBron commercial.
Lol thats pretty likely

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Nike pay's LeBron $15m per year, LeBron has the best selling signature shoe and his own Nike collection that sells everything from shoes to clothing to gear.

LeBron probably meets with Nike every summer.

I think the OP was just pointing out that not every player has as many factors to consider when deciding what to do with his future.

Even other big stars with big endorsement deals probably dont have as many inputs as Lebron does when it comes to decision making. Not that I feel bad.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:00:53 PM »

Offline Rodan45

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3

WOW. Props to you man, that really is dead on perfect. 

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:33:38 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
A lot of the problems Lebron has has I credit with his management and agent. He chose to have unqualified friends from home run his business and tell him what to do. Thats why I think he had to learn the hard way.

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 11:49:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Which is why its used all the time. You just need to recreate that "We Are All Witness" Billboard:

Shot opens, its raining, close on LeBron's face on the billboard, back to a crying child, outside in the rain, clutching an old LeBron Cav's Jersey, staring at to the billboard, Sun comes out, kid's smiling. Pull back, loads of people with throwback LeBron jerseys all cheering. Sad violins all day.

I still think he's staying with Miami.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:54:30 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
even though he will probably go back to miami, it would be one of those interesting storylines in sports history if he went back.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 11:58:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
even though he will probably go back to miami, it would be one of those interesting storylines in sports history if he went back.

Superstar achieves success, personal legacy secured he returns to the town he was so eager to leave in hopes of personal glory, knowing that he is now beyond reproach in their eternal quest for a championship. Everything to gain, nothing to lose -- that would fit the LeBron free agency model to a T, actually.

Now I'm suspicious.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Have fun.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Here's an image of the banquet hall for LeBron's skills camp in Vegas featuring Cavs (... or Heat) colors, a basketball with "LJ" insignia, complete with crown, that was originally posted by the Cavs in-house DJ.