Author Topic: Danny is lost  (Read 18610 times)

Re: Danny is lost
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2014, 10:00:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
During a rebuild Ainge's plan is actually simple.

1. Improve the team's talent in trades, draft, free agency when the opportunity is there.
2. Acquire assets to help with future deals (picks, players).
3. Develop the talent on the team.

He has been upfront about this. A rebuild rarely happens quickly.

A proper rebuild is not still having 2 or 3 class b players on the team. Bc you are stuck in no mans land . Just good enough to be the 6th or 7th worse team in the league. This trade doesnt mean anything if danny cant flip the assets to actually improve the team.  I hope he can and will be aggressive

year 1 in the rebuild plan is just done...

don't be impatient...rebuilds usually take a few years with the first 2 or 3 years sucking very badly...

give it time

Ppl keep saying the word rebuild yet danny sounded like at the end of last season it is not going to be .

If we got asik and afflalo would this be still be considered a rebuild??

Other teams like the 76ers are not drafting payton to crowed the pg position. They already have MCW and got a draft and stash player in saric. The gm to me has a plan in how he wants his team to look like in 2 or 3 years.

Whats is danny doing?? Lets draft smart, young, overpay for AB.  Ask thomas if he wants to sign. Ask bazemore to come.

So basically all of you guards can kill each other for playing time while little to nothing is getting resolved elsewhere??

Im not happy with what is happening currently. Doesnt mean danny cant make things better but im not optimistic about it

You spent a lot of time in the Kevin Love trade threads telling everyone that we should keep the pick and draft Smart. Now that Danny's drafted Smart he's "lost". Pick a side and stick with it.

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we got asik and afflalo would this be still be considered a rebuild??

I would call that a disaster.

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Who if any has looked into the NBA crystal ball and can tell us who might be available in the up coming years or this year besides love and can tell us who might be available by trade or free agency?

Who might be the prize of the 2015 draft?

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Who if any has looked into the NBA crystal ball and can tell us who might be available in the up coming years or this year besides love and can tell us who might be available by trade or free agency?

I assume you meant 2015 free agents. Marc Gasol, Deandre Jordon, Lamarcus Aldridge, are all UFA

Im a big gasol guy. 2015 draft is supposed to be C/PF heavy.

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2014, 12:07:41 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I assume you meant 2015 free agents. Marc Gasol, Deandre Jordon, Lamarcus Aldridge, are all UFA

Honestly, at this moment I don't see Gasol leaving Memphis. Things could change, but I just don't envision it.

« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2014, 07:17:11 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
I did like the Zeller move. He's young and has size. Now please trade Rondo for picks and do this the right way. He's standing in the way of Smart. Hell take on Lin if it gets us Capella or the New Orleans 1st.

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Honestly, at this moment I don't see Gasol leaving Memphis. Things could change, but I just don't envision it.

Why not? That team is only getting older and is forever stuck as an 8 seed.

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Why not? That team is only getting older and is forever stuck as an 8 seed.

Because from all I can tell thus far he loves playing there and sees himself as a guy that wants to play for one team for his career. Plus, they have pretty much clean financials going forward so plenty of room to improve.

« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I expect Memphis to fall of this season or next. you can only tread water for so long and that's what they've been doing for the last few yrs. in this league you have to eventually move forward 

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2014, 08:51:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I expect Memphis to fall of this season or next. you can only tread water for so long and that's what they've been doing for the last few yrs. in this league you have to eventually move forward 

Which is what they've been doing. They've cleaned up their financial situation all while remaining competitive. From next year on they'll be operating with cap space and flexibility that previously wasn't existent.

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Which is what they've been doing. They've cleaned up their financial situation all while remaining competitive. From next year on they'll be operating with cap space and flexibility that previously wasn't existent.

I think they waited too long to do this. I just think we're going to see the effects of making long playoff runs with nothing to show for it come to a head in Memphis.

just my opinion, I've been wrong before.

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2014, 09:21:40 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They're also dealing with what looks to be a very dysfunctional ownership/front office
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I go to college about an hour south of Memphis, so I constantly have conversations with grizzlies fans. Most of them think Gasol will resign with Memphis because of his relationship with zbo and Conley. Don't forget that Marc also went to high school in Memphis while Pau was playing for the grizzlies. With that being said there is a disconnect between ownership and the fan base because many fans are not content with the first round of playoffs every year. The owner is not willing to spend the necessary money.

« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2014, 12:07:40 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I don't think Trollboy13 quite understands how you do a rebuild. His proposed moves would make the Celtics a perennial 6-8 seed for the foreseeable future while giving away precious assets.

Danny's plan is simple - hire a young coach who may be a genius rather than an old tired retread; draft the BPA; ensure that the Cs have trade and cap flexibility; collect assets in the form of young players and 1st round picks; don't waste assets on players that can only make you marginally better; and wait patiently until the opportunity allows you to spend those assets on difference-makers.

It's not hard, but Danny is the master at this kind of plan. And right now he's executing it perfectly. He's gone from an gun that was nearly empty to one that is fully loaded with ammo to spare. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the target to appear. And if one doesn't appear soon, he'll trade away yet another asset (Rondo) for more ammo. Because in the long run, the guy with the most bullets will often be the one who wins.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.