Author Topic: Can a player acquired via TPE be used in a three team trade?  (Read 879 times)

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
Basically what the subject says.

For example, let's say I used the TPE to acquire Hayward (just for example).  Could I use Hayward in a trade with multiple players towards Love and Martin?
Play to win.  Always.

Re: Can a player acquired via TPE be used in a three team trade?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No because it'd be a separate trade from the C's standpoint, and there are restrictions on trading a player again after you've traded for him.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
No because it'd be a separate trade from the C's standpoint, and there are restrictions on trading a player again after you've traded for him.

thanks for the clarification.

i was just curious if there were creative ways to use the TPE that could net us somebody big.
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

thanks for the clarification.

i was just curious if there were creative ways to use the TPE that could net us somebody big.
94. When can a team trade a free agent it signs? Do they have to keep him forever?

Generally a team only has to keep a player for three months after signing a contract or December 151 of that season, whichever is later. This does not apply to draft picks, who can be traded 30 days after signing. For sign-and-trade transactions, the initial trade which completes the sign-and-trade obviously is allowed, even though it occurs right after the player is signed. The trade restriction in a sign-and-trade applies to the first subsequent trade.

See question number 99 for more information on trade restrictions.

1   January 15 if the player is a Larry Bird or Early Bird free agent, re-signs with his prior team, his team is over the cap, and he receives a raise greater than 20% in the first season of his contract.
Its even more restrictive than that, I was wrong. The above is the proper rule.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You could have a player signed and traded from Team A to Team B and the Celtics using the TPE to absorb contracts from Team B, with Team A receiving only picks and no actual contracts in return.  For the Celtics to receive a major player, the TPE would probably be used to absorb a bad contract or two that the other teams want to get rid of as part of the price for getting the main player in the deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference