Author Topic: BOS-PHI-SAC Trade Idea  (Read 2955 times)

BOS-PHI-SAC Trade Idea
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:34:48 AM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
BOS IN: Thomas (S/T 3YR/20M), Stauskas, Mclemore, KJ Mcdaniels, 2017 sac top 8 protected 1st

PHI IN: Wallace, Thompson, 2015 clippers pick from bos, the rights to their own pick back we obtained from the heat, 2015 Sac 1st top 5 protected, 2017 bos 2nd round pick

SAC IN: Rondo, PP Trade exception, bogans

Why for Boston: We get 3 great guard prospects to go along with smart, bradley, and young. I expect 1 or probably 2 to get moved to hopefully for a center. Mcdaniels could make the roster  and we get a 1st.

Why for Philly: They came out and said they are willing to take on salary for assets. I think this could be a strong spot for wallace. They get a plethora of picks to go along with however many they have had before. Eventually they will trade those picks for high profile players to go along with the core of MCW, Noel, Embiid, Saaric. Write around the time wallaces contract expires they could make a huge play to bring in some big free agents.

Why for Sacramento: They get an established star in rondo. The trade exception will probably be used to bring in Josh Smith. Bogans can be cut for immediate cap space or be moved to bring in another player. Rondo Gay Smith and Cousins could have loads of potential and this just seems like a deal Sacramento would make.

So what do you guys think about the trade for each team??
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

Re: BOS-PHI-SAC Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:02:01 AM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Forever Green
Can't combine TPE with other player salaries.
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:10:01 AM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Learn to be you and only you

could you make say the S/T for thomas for the TE a seperate deal?
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:37:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Sacramento owes a top 10 protected pick to Chicago in 2015, protected also for 2016, and unprotected for 2017.  They cannot trade picks in the manner you describe in this trade.  The earliest they could send a pick to Philly would be 2017, and therefore the earliest they could send a pick to Boston would be 2019.

Additionally, you don't trade TPE's.  You use them to acquire a player without sending any outgoing salary, so the Pierce TPE being on the "in" line for Sacramento makes no sense.  That said, the salaries going between the teams match fine, so there is no need to include the TPE (or Bogans for that matter).

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 04:44:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

could you make say the S/T for thomas for the TE a seperate deal?

You don't need the TPE (and see above) but you can structure it that way.  Currently you have the Celtics sending out $28 million in salary and taking in only about $10 million (Stauskas hasn't signed a contract yet, so he's at $0 until he does).  If you wanted, you could use the TPE to absorb both Thomas and McLemore, and get new trade exceptions of $12.9 million (Rondo), $10.1 million (Wallace) and $5.2 million (Bogans).

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 05:29:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
My SAC-BOS-PHI trade goes like this:

BOS out: Rajon Rondo, PHI 2015 protected pick
BOS in:  Isaiah Thomas (S&T for no more than Bradley's deal), Nik Stauskas, Nerlens Noel

SAC out: Isaiah Thomas (S&T), Nik Stauskas, Ben McLemore
SAC in: Rajon Rondo

PHI out: Nerlens Noel
PHI in: Ben McLemore, PHI 2015 protected pick

For us and Sacramento, it's very similar to the rumored Rondo deal all year, except we trade Ben McLemore, since we really don't need three more guards (we barely need two).  Noel was picked 6th in 2013 and McLemore 7th, so Philly gets their pick back to make up the difference.  McLemore seems like a Hinkie player -- long and athletic for his position, so lots of upside if he can improve his shooting.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
BOS IN: Thomas (S/T 3YR/20M), Stauskas, Mclemore, KJ Mcdaniels, 2017 sac top 8 protected 1st

PHI IN: Wallace, Thompson, 2015 clippers pick from bos, the rights to their own pick back we obtained from the heat, 2015 Sac 1st top 5 protected, 2017 bos 2nd round pick

Why for Boston: We get 3 great guard prospects to go along with smart, bradley, and young. I expect 1 or probably 2 to get moved to hopefully for a center. Mcdaniels could make the roster  and we get a 1st.

Why for Philly: They came out and said they are willing to take on salary for assets.

Are you calling Wallace an asset????
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:34:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Why for Philly: They came out and said they are willing to take on salary for assets.

Are you calling Wallace an asset????

No.  Wallace is the salary.  Draft picks are assets.

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 08:21:21 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I've got a Bos-Phi-Det 3 team trade idea

Bos gets: Michael Carter Williams and Thaddeus Young
Det gets: Gerald Wallace, Keith Bogans and a future 1st
Phi gets: Rondo and Josh Smith.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
My SAC-BOS-PHI trade goes like this:

BOS out: Rajon Rondo, PHI 2015 protected pick
BOS in:  Isaiah Thomas (S&T for no more than Bradley's deal), Nik Stauskas, Nerlens Noel

SAC out: Isaiah Thomas (S&T), Nik Stauskas, Ben McLemore
SAC in: Rajon Rondo

PHI out: Nerlens Noel
PHI in: Ben McLemore, PHI 2015 protected pick

For us and Sacramento, it's very similar to the rumored Rondo deal all year, except we trade Ben McLemore, since we really don't need three more guards (we barely need two).  Noel was picked 6th in 2013 and McLemore 7th, so Philly gets their pick back to make up the difference.  McLemore seems like a Hinkie player -- long and athletic for his position, so lots of upside if he can improve his shooting.

Are you crazy?  Philadelphia isn't trading Noel let alone for  McLemore and a pick?  Come on now....

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Noel was picked 6th in 2013 and McLemore 7th, so Philly gets their pick back to make up the difference.

... that... is some very interesting logic.

"Charlotte should trade a pick and MKG for Anthony Davis.  Davis was picked first in 2012 and MKG was picked second, so New Orleans gets another pick to make up the difference."

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Noel was picked 6th in 2013 and McLemore 7th, so Philly gets their pick back to make up the difference.

"Charlotte should trade a pick and MKG for Anthony Davis.  Davis was picked 1st in 2012 and MKG was picked 2nd, so New Orleans gets another pick to make up the difference."

I mean, yeah, I've used better logic.  Even further down in the same post where I indicated why I thought Philly might like McLemore.  But your reductio ad absurdem is poor, as it assumes that the difference between Davis and MKG is the same as Noel and McLemore, which it wasn't on draft night and isn't now.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

"Charlotte should trade a pick and MKG for Anthony Davis.  Davis was picked 1st in 2012 and MKG was picked 2nd, so New Orleans gets another pick to make up the difference."

I mean, yeah, I've used better logic.  Even further down in the same post where I indicated why I thought Philly might like McLemore.  But your reductio ad absurdem is poor, as it assumes that the difference between Davis and MKG is the same as Noel and McLemore, which it wasn't on draft night and isn't now.

McLemore hasn't shown anything of note yet and Noel's played a single Summer League game.  Just seems more than a bit presumptuous to assume that they're relatively equal value based on their draft position and that a pick makes up the difference.  Noel was putting up historic defensive numbers in college rivaled by only Olajuwon and Robinson.

Even beyond that, a "Hinkie player" at this point is a guy who looks like the best possible asset.  Nothing more, nothing less.  At this point, I think Hinkie is more than willing to take his chances on the big guy who put up college numbers similar to two Hall of Famers over a guard who's promising but has yet to really show anything in the NBA.  I suspect there's a reason why you were more than willing to propose a trade that somehow lands Noel in Boston, too. And not just the whole "well, we already have other guards" angle. ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:01:47 AM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 11:32:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

McLemore hasn't shown anything of note yet and Noel's played a single Summer League game.  Just seems more than a bit presumptuous to assume that they're relatively equal value based on their draft position and that a pick makes up the difference.  Noel was putting up historic defensive numbers in college rivaled by only Olajuwon and Robinson.

Even beyond that, a "Hinkie player" at this point is a guy who looks like the best possible asset.  Nothing more, nothing less.  At this point, I think Hinkie is more than willing to take his chances on the big guy who put up college numbers similar to two Hall of Famers over a guard who's promising but has yet to really show anything in the NBA.  I suspect there's a reason why you were more than willing to propose a trade that somehow lands Noel in Boston, too. And not just the whole "well, we already have other guards" angle. ;)

I mean, it's a message board for posting fun trades, so that was an angle.  But truly, I was looking for a young player who was defense first, offense second, considering our backcourt at times in this hypothetical trade includes teeny Isaiah Thomas and not-very-good-defender Nik Stauskas.  McLemore's and this player's salaries should ideally be near each other.  I wanted someone who wasn't going to be a restricted free agent next year.  The players who fit these qualifications were Andre Drummond and Nerlens Noel, since Gorgui Dieng's salary doesn't match.

Truthfully, I like McLemore.  He's athletic, and is a good scorer.  He started to play a lot better the last month of the season, and I think there's a good shot he takes some more steps forward this season.  But he's an asset who doesn't fit our team, so I was trying to find an alternative (and I can't trade Stauskas as I'm a huge Michigan fan, which is the real hidden angle you're looking for).

And yeah, McLemore hasn't shown much in the NBA (aside from some improvement as the season progressed).  But Noel has shown less.  I know he was injured, but he's not the second coming, and no NBA team, including Philly, values him as such.  Would I be willing to give a better pick than Philly's own back to them?  Sure, I'd give them the Clippers pick if they wanted that more.  But do I think there's a canyon-sized gulf between the two players?  Honestly, I don't.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Fair enough.