Author Topic: Why isn't Sullinger playing in Summer League?  (Read 8080 times)

Re: Why isn't Sullinger playing in Summer League?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't think 3rd year players are allowed..? Think it's just for rookies and 2nd year players...at least it used to be.
I thought I seen some guys who've been around longer than a couple years but maybe you're right

Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones are both third-year players who are currently playing for OKC's Summer League.  Reggie Jackson did the same thing last year.

Yeah and that says a lot about their development. Even Isiah Thomas questioned OKC's decision to that on the broadcast.

Well, Jackson went on to have his best season ever last year, so I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to say about their development.  I'm just noting that third-year players can and have played in Summer League.

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 09:43:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am fine with him not playing extra games with his back issue at this point.  I know it was "fixed", but still no reason to put more wear and tear on it.

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 09:49:51 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Third year players do play in the Summer League, but starters typically don't -- even when they're starting on 25 win teams.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Third year players do play in the Summer League, but starters typically don't -- even when they're starting on 25 win teams.

Yeah but Sully wasn't even a starter. (Started half the games roughly). He was off the bench behind Bass and Hump most of the year.

There's no reason Sully shouldn't be in summer league.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am fine with him not playing extra games with his back issue at this point.  I know it was "fixed", but still no reason to put more wear and tear on it.

Like maybe gaining 20 lbs?

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Like maybe gaining 20 lbs?

Another issue that needs to be worked on.

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Sully probably never had to worry about his weight until getting to the NBA and his back surgery likely made it difficult to do anything about it for his first two years in the league.  He needs to show effort and discipline with it this year but I'm not worried if he's blown up like a balloon right now.  At his age, shedding pounds is nothing.  It's when you start to creep up into your 30s that gaining and losing weight becomes a losing battle.

Mike

"WHEN YOU CREEP UP INTO YOUR 30'S"???  That's really hard on the ears when you're about to turn 70 :'(

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Embarrassed or would be so.....if he is out of shape as reported.

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
DNP:  cake

Welp...

DNP - Michael Sweetney

I remember Oliver Miller in summer league maybe ten years ago.  Dude had soft, soft hands, good passes, good outlet passes, nice touch around the rim, but he couldn't play more than 5 minutes at a time.

I remember Moresweetsforme playing for the C's summer league a few years back - am I remembering Tractor Traylor, too?  Seems like lots of big, big men who've gotten their chances with the C's.  Sully just better not come into camp fat - seen that story way too many times.

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Sully probably never had to worry about his weight until getting to the NBA and his back surgery likely made it difficult to do anything about it for his first two years in the league.  He needs to show effort and discipline with it this year but I'm not worried if he's blown up like a balloon right now.  At his age, shedding pounds is nothing.  It's when you start to creep up into your 30s that gaining and losing weight becomes a losing battle.

Mike

I sort of agree. He's always going to be a big dude, but there's definitely a line between "big and healthy" and "big and fat." Charles Barkley's various seasons are a great example of the difference.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

Mike

I sort of agree. He's always going to be a big dude, but there's definitely a line between "big and healthy" and "big and fat." Charles Barkley's various seasons are a great example of the difference.

If he can't be committed to coming into camp this year in the best shape possible...  forget it.  Just look at how quickly guys like Sweetney and Eddy Curry at themselves out of the league (or at least stopped being effective).   

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Mike

If he can't be committed to coming into camp this year in the best shape possible...  forget it.  Just look at how quickly guys like Sweetney and Eddy Curry at themselves out of the league (or at least stopped being effective).

Best shape possible after an injury is a lot less "best shape" than he could do while he was healthy, though.

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

Mike

Best shape possible after an injury is a lot less "best shape" than he could do while he was healthy, though.

What injury is going to be the excuse this time, though?  He gets a pass (begrudgingly) for last year; if he's really pushing 280 right today, though...  why? 

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What injury is going to be the excuse this time, though?  He gets a pass (begrudgingly) for last year; if he's really pushing 280 right today, though...  why?
Well, for what it's worth, he's been at 280+ for the better part of the last 5 years (save for predraft camp). I'm not particularly optimistic about him ever maintaining reasonable playing weight, therefore I'd like him dispensed with before the rest of the league has caught up to the fact that the remainder of his career will likely be a constant struggle to not be a meatball.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Mike

That back surgery is becoming a very long term excuse.  He was fat in his last year of college too, before anyone was aware of the back issue.