Author Topic: Idea: Sullinger/Lance Stephenson S&T to MIN, Love to BOS, Martin/Smart to IND  (Read 2383 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
According to rumors, Ainge is still trying to make a deal for Love and looking for established players who can be sent to the Timberwolves.  The Celtics reportedly have been talking to Lance Stephenson.  Let's combine the two rumors and come up with a three-team deal that involves a sign-and-trade of Lance Stephenson to Minnesota and Kevin Love to Boston.  This deal requires giving Indiana something to make it worth their while.

First, Minnesota sends Kevin Martin to Indiana as a replacement SG.  Then, Boston sends the rights to Marcus Smart to the Pacers as their potential George Hill replacement.  Indiana has sent out more money than they have brought back (how much depends on Stephenson's contract), but Martin and Smart is a reasonable return so far.

The Celtics still need to send out salary to match salaries.  The Wolves need a replacement PF, so they get Jared Sullinger.  You still need more contracts, so you send them either Brandon Bass or do a sign-and-trade of Kris Humphries, if Humphries is willing.  You use unguaranteed contracts to do the rest of the contract matching.

So far, this is what teams get:
Indiana: Kevin Martin, Marcus Smart
Minnesota: Jared Sullinger, Lance Stephenson, Brandon Bass or Kris Humphries, unguaranteed filler
Boston: Kevin Love

Minnesota has a top-12 protected 2015 pick that they owe Phoenix.  They would like to have a pick for next season.  Indiana probably wants a bit more.  So, send the 2015 Cippers pick to Minnesota and the protected Philly pick to Indiana.

There are some role players who could be swapped.  If Indiana is exploring options to move Hibbert, maybe he and Pekovic can be included in a deal.  (The Celtics would not be getting Dieng or Mahinmi under any circumstances).  Minnesota might ask for Olynyk over Sullinger.

The Celtics would still have the extra picks from Brooklyn (and their own firsts) and the TPE to use in chasing after a center.  The trade can possibly be structure to create some TPEs for at least some of the teams.

This deal depends on Stephenson being willing to go to Minnesota.  He might be the sort of player who will go to whoever pays him what he wants.  The Celtics may have to send out cash as part of the trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As I said in the other thread... this is horrible return for Minnesota.  If 'sota merely wanted Lance Stephenson and some garbage filler for Kevin Love, Larry Bird would jump all over that in a nanosecond and keep Kevin Love to himself.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Boston would probably have to include the both 2015 first-rounders for Minnesota to sweeten it, but not bad. TP.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
As I said in the other thread... this is horrible return for Minnesota.  If 'sota merely wanted Lance Stephenson and some garbage filler for Kevin Love, Larry Bird would jump all over that in a nanosecond and keep Kevin Love to himself.

The Celtics have additional assets they can throw in.  Even if this proposal is unacceptable, it provides what I think is a valid framework for future negotiation.  It provides an opportunity for Bird to add in some salaries he might want to dump.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Well, if the Celts can get Love by just dealing Sullinger, Bass' expiring contract, a S/T of Kardashian and the 2015 Clippers pick (which will probably be in the mid to late 20s), DA should be named executive of the year like he was back in 2008.

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Isn't Indy looking for an upgrade at PG since they are so close to being a Championship-caliber team?  I don't think they would have any interest in Smart in return.   They want to win now and they aren't going to trust a rookie.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Well, if the Celts can get Love by just dealing Sullinger, Bass' expiring contract, a S/T of Kardashian and the 2015 Clippers pick (which will probably be in the mid to late 20s), DA should be named executive of the year like he was back in 2008.

I did include the draft rights to Marcus Smart and the Philly pick (both going to Indiana) as part of the deal.....

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I did include the draft rights to Marcus Smart and the Philly pick (both going to Indiana) as part of the deal.....

Got it.

Not a bad idea at all!!

The only hang up I can see is whether or not Stephenson agrees to go to Minnesota to play for that pinhead Saunders.

Nice trade idea though.

I hope it happens!

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Isn't Indy looking for an upgrade at PG since they are so close to being a Championship-caliber team?  I don't think they would have any interest in Smart in return.   They want to win now and they aren't going to trust a rookie.

It depends on how much they like Smart and how good they think they are at player development.  They'd probably start out the season with Smart as a combo guard off the bench behind Martin and Hill and hope he plays well enough to displace one of them.  Maybe the Pacers would want to include Barea or Bayless (who would have to be S&Ted) to give them additional guard depth. 

If the Celtics were willing to absorb the contract of Hill with the TPE or find a way to flip him to a fourth team, maybe that gives the Pacers more flexibility to bring in a different PG.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The only hang up I can see is whether or not Stephenson agrees to go to Minnesota to play for that pinhead Saunders.

I'm assuming he wants to go where he gets paid the most, with location/situation mattering only if the money is close.

Offline C-Green

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
I like the trade, I can't imagine Stephenson would be willing to do a sign and trade to go to Minnesota like gpap said. Maybe Stephenson is all about the $, for this scenario i hope he is.

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
Would much rather send Bradley or Green or Both haha rather than Smart
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart