Author Topic: Question about our TPE  (Read 672 times)

Question about our TPE
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:16:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Can we use our TPE to sign Lance Stephenson to a deal of 10.8 million? And if we did, could we then possibly give him a contract of 2-3 years of 12+ million, and then do a sign and trade to Minny?

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Question about our TPE
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think you'd have to structure any subsequent deal with Minnesota in a very careful way, so as not to combine Lance with other salary to acquire a trade target making more than $10.8 mil.

But you can't use the TPE to acquire Lance if he's signed to a contract of more than $10.8 mil.

Edit: Had forgotten that acquisitions via S&T are prevented from being immediately traded, even if no salary aggregation is taking place. TP to LC for the clarification.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:39:15 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Question about our TPE
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The largest contract that fits into the TPE is four years for approximately $43.87m, beginning at around $10.28m.  Sign-and-trade contracts have to be at least three years in length.  You can't sign another team's free agent and immediately trade him.  You can, however, have a deal along the lines of Indiana signing and trading Stephenson to Minnesota, Love going to Boston, and Kevin Martin going to Indiana, with the Celtics presumably sending other stuff to both teams.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference