Author Topic: No celtcs rumor Phil-NY  (Read 2347 times)

No celtcs rumor Phil-NY
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Interesting non celtics rumor that I just read.

Amare and Shumpert to Phili for ??? writer for Newwark Star Ledger speculates it would be for a non-guaranteed contract and a pick.

If Im the Knicks I try to make that trade for Thad Young.

For Phili

Shumpert is only 24would be a nice pairing with MCW, Amare comes off the book after the season and is a vet to have around Noel and Embiid.

For NY

If they can retain Melo (I think they will) then Young is a perfect pairing for him. He every night can take the more difficult forward assignment on D while bringing some SF skills to the PF position on offence. If Jackson can pull a rabbit out of his hat and get P Gasol this team beomes a EFC contender.

PG Calderon, Larkin
SG Hardaway, Smith
SF Melo
PF Young
C  Gasol, Dalembert

I know not celtics news but thought it was interesting

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: No celtcs rumor Phil-NY
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
why does it seem like teams are bending over backwards to bail the Knicks out?

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:53:52 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Yeah, especially the Sixers. I don't get it.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Philly is so far under the salary floor that Amar'e might not cost them very much money.

So they're just using a surplus of payroll to acquire Shumpert and other pieces.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:57:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So... Philly has a chance to make the playoffs is what you're telling me? So that means, one my first round pick for us next year.

Come on Philly!

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Yeah, especially the Sixers. I don't get it.

For anyone whining about the Celtics not tanking hard enough, making this type of move and not caring who you're helping is what hardcore tanking is all about.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I mean, sure it helps NY, but they're in such a bad spot, it doesn't help them all that much.

If they made this trade, they still wouldn't have any effective cap room.  They'd technically have about $5.2 million if they renounced the mid-level exception and the bi-annual exception, but since the mid-level is $5.3 million, that wouldn't really get them very far.  They could waive Dalembert, who's partially guaranteed, clearing up another $2 million, but that would still only give them $7 million in cap room, and one more hole in the roster to fill.

What this deal would do is help NY avoid the luxury tax, and give them access to the full MLE instead of the taxpayer MLE, at the cost of Shumpert.  Yes, it probably helps NY, but not in a way that allows them to make a quick turnaround this offseason if Melo stays.

Note:  I'm assuming the Knicks already have waived or will waive their other non-guaranteed contracts, such as Odom and Shannon Brown.  If they keep those players, then even waiving Dalembert doesn't afford them cap room.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I mean, sure it helps NY, but they're in such a bad spot, it doesn't help them all that much.

If they made this trade, they still wouldn't have any effective cap room.  They'd technically have about $5.2 million if they renounced the mid-level exception and the bi-annual exception, but since the mid-level is $5.3 million, that wouldn't really get them very far.  They could waive Dalembert, who's partially guaranteed, clearing up another $2 million, but that would still only give them $7 million in cap room, and one more hole in the roster to fill.

What this deal would do is help NY avoid the luxury tax, and give them access to the full MLE instead of the taxpayer MLE, at the cost of Shumpert.  Yes, it probably helps NY, but not in a way that allows them to make a quick turnaround this offseason if Melo stays.

Note:  I'm assuming the Knicks already have waived or will waive their other non-guaranteed contracts, such as Odom and Shannon Brown.  If they keep those players, then even waiving Dalembert doesn't afford them cap room.

I think it also helps the 6ers, cuz A. it would help with their playoffs push with Shumpert and Amar'e sort of being a mentor to Noel and Embiid.

And it doesn't cost them much money as some of the above said. I feel NY is a bad place for Amar'e.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Getting far enough under the apron would also open up the opportunity for the Knicks to receive a player who has been signed and traded, although they have little in the way of assets to send out in such a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Knicks getting someone to take 25 mil off their books ... And getting a pick out of it ? 

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
It'd be a pick in name only.  Philly hasn't traded away a single draft pick in the past year that wasn't heavily protected to the extent that they will not have to surrender it.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Here's the interesting part...

Knicks moves the big contract, and that opens up enough space to keep Carmelo and go hard after someone like LeBron or Bosh.