Author Topic: Doc Rivers during Summer League comments on the Boston Celtics community  (Read 5709 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
I have a love-hate relationship with Doc. When we were losing prior to the big trade, I was very supportive of him. As I was during the first 2 maybe 3 years of the Big 3 era. After that I thought he stopped coaching as well as I was expecting of him, and I was glad when he left. I had no problem with him leaving, though I thought the way he left (meaning things best left unsaid as you leave an organization) was in poor taste for me... to the point I don't like him much more and hope for the worst.

That said, seems like he joined last night the commentators at the Orlando Summer League and talked a bit about the Boston Celtics, his time here, the fans, and what not... and it reminded me of what I liked about him. But the bridges are still burned a bit, but it is what it is.

You can read what he said here:
http://celticszone.com/2014/doc-rivers-talks-about-the-celtics-at-summer-league/

Not sure if more was said, but from what is quoted there I thought it was nice to hear from his perspective.

Here's a bit of what was said, more in the link above:

“When we were bad, they still came — and not only did they come, they actually cared,” said Doc. “There were people on me and on Danny, but we never wavered. And there were really more people who totally understood what was going on and what we were doing.

“Even when we were about to make the big trade to change our team, I remember being in the grocery store and having fans come up and say, ‘Don’t trade Al. Don’t trade the young guys.’ They know the game. They study the game. And they love the young guys. You know, they didn’t want to see Gerald Green leaving and Al Jefferson leaving. Even though they knew there was a chance we could win it all by trading those guys, they still loved the young guys and they saw what they could become.

“I don’t know if there’s any other place where a guy is there for so short a time and people always love them. I guarantee you when Al comes into Boston, he’s still one of the favorites — and he hasn’t played there for (seven) years. That’s cool.”

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not sure what jumps out at me more:

The fact that Doc has fond memories of Boston or the fact that there were people actually going up to him, pleading with him for the Celts to NOT trade Al Jefferson and Gerald Green? ???

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715

The fact that Doc has fond memories of Boston or the fact that there were people actually going up to him, pleading with him for the Celts to NOT trade Al Jefferson and Gerald Green? ???

Is it that surprising? It still goes on now with people who don't want to trade Bradley, Sullinger, or Olynyk.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Doc was an average coach with a great team.

God I miss KG.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Why wouldn't Doc have fond memories of Boston?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

Might be a bit of "Back in my day" in this, but seeing Al come into his own those few years was awesome and there were more than a few people who didn't want the KG trade to happen. The KG trade might have been a no-brainer, but it wasn't a no-hearter, if that makes sense.  It was pretty bittersweet to see Al go.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Doc was an average coach with a great team.

God I miss KG.

I say Doc became a better coach under the KG era...he had his moments during our run

I appreciate what Doc has done for this organization. But sometimes I wonder, what will happen had someone like Pop coached us instead...

I mean looking how he managed minutes for Duncan and all, would KG still be injured in that Jazz game

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Doc was great during the Big Three Era. He was very much made in the same mold as the Phil Jackson, Larry Bird, K.C. Jones types in the sense he was great for a contending team and juggling egos, but not the greatest for a rebuild. He also handled the Boston limelight quite well--not something to be underrated in this town.

I also think he is way overly vilified by this board for "not playing young players." Time and again we heard this while people conveniently ignored that a) he played guys like Rondo, Perk, BBD, and Powe and b) there isn't one example of a youngster who miraculously blossomed after leaving the dark clutches of Doc. Instead, we had the likes of Bill Walker, JaJuan Johnson, and J.R. Giddens who simply weren't NBA caliber players.

The only thing that annoys me now is the victim card he is pulling with the Clippers. Doc made an inherently selfish decision to jump ship to LA because he knew it would be a better situation for him. And I'm ok with that. But he did it fully aware he was going to work for an owner that had a history of racism and mismanagement. He ultimately decided that the potential gain was worth the risk. And that's perfectly acceptable to do. Many people have made similar decisions.

But he should stop acting so shocked and upset and victimized by the whole Sterling situation. If he was really that against working for someone like Sterling, he should have stayed in Boston where he had a stellar ownership/management team.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

No reason why he wouldn't.

To me, that wasn't the story of the article.

The story of the article was that there were people who actually didn't want to see the KG trade, similarly to how there's people now who don't want to see the Love trade happen.

I am wondering if this strange attachment to unproven younger players is a Boston thing or if it goes on in every major sports city.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

The story of the article was that there were people who actually didn't want to see the KG trade, similarly to how there's people now who don't want to see the Love trade happen.

I am wondering if this strange attachment to unproven younger players is a Boston thing or if it goes on in every major sports city.

It's every city.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I loved Big Al !!!

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Big Al was just a likeable guy and offensively, in the post he is a unique player, particularly in this era. it was hard as a fan to see him go.

But this was a prime example of the professionals actually do know more than the fans. I know its hard to believe but it's true.

in retrospect it's quite laughable that people were torn over trading Gerald **** Green! and Big Al, who we essentially traded for a shot at a championship. which we got. it's narrow-mindedness like this that keeps franchises down for decades upon decades.

I was hopeful of seeing Gerald Green grow and be something special. I loved Big Al(still do). I would make that trade every day of my life for a shot at a championship.

Fans get delusions of grandeur when it comes to young guys. because they're thinking -  "multiple champioships, Spurs did it, dynasty...."

Smart teams worry about getting 1. Bad teams overlook getting just 1.

As for Doc. I questioned him a bunch early on, felt he made his name off of Tracy Mcgrady. couldn't stand him not playing the young guys when we didn't have anything better. but did understand why he did it.

when Pierce and he clashed I won't lie I wanted to see him gone, I didn't like him to begin with. but then I started to believe and still do think he was probably the best thing to happen to Pierce.

Then that moment on the sideline between Doc and Pierce when we won the championship, all my hate towards Doc went away completely.

as for the way Doc left. I can't hate the guy, this team ran it's course. he endured plenty of "rebuilding" during his tenure. to expect him to do it again was wishful thinking imo.

I think it doesn't take a great coach to win a championship but a bad coach can definitely prohibit you from winning one. Doc is a good coach.   

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So fans who wanted to keep Jefferson and Green "know the game"? That's hilarious.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think the point doc was trying to make was that no matter how bad the team was the fans knew and cared about scrubs like Gerald Green.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Doc was great during the Big Three Era. He was very much made in the same mold as the Phil Jackson, Larry Bird, K.C. Jones types in the sense he was great for a contending team and juggling egos, but not the greatest for a rebuild. He also handled the Boston limelight quite well--not something to be underrated in this town.

I also think he is way overly vilified by this board for "not playing young players." Time and again we heard this while people conveniently ignored that a) he played guys like Rondo, Perk, BBD, and Powe and b) there isn't one example of a youngster who miraculously blossomed after leaving the dark clutches of Doc. Instead, we had the likes of Bill Walker, JaJuan Johnson, and J.R. Giddens who simply weren't NBA caliber players.

The only thing that annoys me now is the victim card he is pulling with the Clippers. Doc made an inherently selfish decision to jump ship to LA because he knew it would be a better situation for him. And I'm ok with that. But he did it fully aware he was going to work for an owner that had a history of racism and mismanagement. He ultimately decided that the potential gain was worth the risk. And that's perfectly acceptable to do. Many people have made similar decisions.

But he should stop acting so shocked and upset and victimized by the whole Sterling situation. If he was really that against working for someone like Sterling, he should have stayed in Boston where he had a stellar ownership/management team.

TP for this.  Saved me a lot of typing.

Doc was phenomenal (to steal his favorite adjective) here but I'm happy with Stevens now in our situation.

Doc went to a very talented team but went to play for a noted racist.  It just happened to blow up when he was there.  Everyone in the NBA knew about it.

But if he stays there long term I think the team will be better off now more than ever.  The team was bad under Sterling for a reason.   New ownership could be a great thing there.

It's every city.

I feel like it's going away more now though, with so many fans being arm chair GMs these days. 

We see a lot of demand to trade certain players on the team (now mostly with by far our best player and long tenured player and former champion AND captain)... so yeah it can go either way.

An important factor, I believe, is where the player is at in development and potential.  For example, Gerald Green was still a guy who could figure it out and seemingly be an All Star (did, to an extent, like this season... so took a while and isn't an All Star anyways).  Jefferson was playing defense away from being one of the leagues major stars too (he also never did that).

With guys like Sully and Olynyk and Smart it could be like that.  Especially, I think, if the rebuild takes a while and we get attached watching them grow.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:54:56 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford