Author Topic: Rondo/Bass/2015 2nd for Jennings/Monroe (Idea)  (Read 2927 times)

Rondo/Bass/2015 2nd for Jennings/Monroe (Idea)
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »

Offline kramer197

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Trade works for both sides, particularly the Celtics. Detroit is motivated by the opportunity to fix the logjam in their front court, and everyone knows Monroe is the odd man out (and has said as much himself). Bass is clearly reserve with their line-up looking like Rondo-Stucky-KCP-Smith-Drummond.

Boston gets a lot better immediately with Jennings' shooting ability complimenting the more slashing-oriented Smart and Bradley. He also provides positional versatility, able to play either guard spot. I feel it would be best to have Jennings at the point and Smart at the 2 just for match-up purposes.

Monroe isn't necessarily the shot blocker we need, however he is 6'11" and is best suited to play Center for both offensive and defensive purposes, which he would in Boston. The C's starting 5 would look like Jennings-Smart-Green-Sullinger-Monroe, with Bradley, Olynyk, Young, and Pressey fueling the bench.

Overall I think both teams improve significantly, but more importantly the Celtics improve significantly. I think this makes us at least a .500 team with a lot of room to improve. In a few years, if we're able to lock up Jennings and Monroe long-term, improve the bench, and Smart/Young develop as planned, we'll be looking at a 50+ win team in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:30:42 PM by kramer197 »

Re: Rondo/Bass/2015 2nd for Jennings/Monroe
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I dont want jennings anyway near this team

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Monroe is o e of the worst interior defenders in the NBA. Also Marcus Smart is better than Jennings, in my opinion.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »

Offline kramer197

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Monroe is o e of the worst interior defenders in the NBA. Also Marcus Smart is better than Jennings, in my opinion.

Not for a lack of trying, though. He's not a Rasheed Wallace type that comes and goes when he pleases. If you watch him play, he's surrounded by bad defensive players in a bad defensive system, not to mention the fact that he's playing out of position with Detroit.

Also, I hope Smart does become a better player than Jennings, but you still can't have a back court full of non-shooters.

Re: Rondo/Bass/2015 2nd for Jennings/Monroe (Idea)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
After hearing all the "Rondo can't shoot" complaints I shudder to imagine B Jennings as a Celtic. Plus he can't pass as well, nor play defense as well. If you take Rondo and like magically cut him into three pieces....take one of those pieces...you got Jennings now. On a good day.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I want no part of Jennings either.   I would not mind seeing Rondo moved for a big though.  All this talk of moving him for a guard makes little sense with AB resigning and our draft.   Unless the signing is a part of a deal to come.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Jennings? Yuck.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Not to sound rude, but it seems according to a lot of posters on this site, no one in the NBA can seem to play defense (Love, Melo, Monroe, Westbrook, etc)

I am just curious as to which player in the NBA right now is the textbook definition of a good defender, according to CB.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
This could work.

If the Pistons end up resigning Monroe, I also think you could do Rondo/Green for Jennings/Drummond because of the Rondo/Smith connection (Det plays Green at SF, Smith at PF and Monroe at C.)

I think Detroit would be willing to give up Drummond if it meant the Celts taking Jennings of their hands.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Not to sound rude, but it seems according to a lot of posters on this site, no one in the NBA can seem to play defense (Love, Melo, Monroe, Westbrook, etc)

I am just curious as to which player in the NBA right now is the textbook definition of a good defender, according to CB.
Anyone playing defense on Jennings is a good defender. Holding your opponent to 37% shooting is doing a good job.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:50:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Anyone playing defense on Jennings is a good defender. Holding your opponent to 37% shooting is doing a good job.

That's not really answering the question.

I am not a big Jennings fan nor am I necessarily advocating for the proposed trade (although I do like Monroe.)

I am just saying it seems that of players get criticized for not playing defense, and I am just trying to get a read of who a good defender is.

Admittedly, I am someone who values good offense over good defense so maybe I am not the best judge of talent.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:57:52 PM by gpap »

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Monroe is o e of the worst interior defenders in the NBA.

Is he worse than Sully or Olynyk?

Olynyk           
BLK%  1.5
DRTG  107
DRB% 18.8
DWS   1.4

Sully
BLK% 1.9
DRTG  105
DRB% 20.6
DWS  1.9

Monroe
BLK% 1.4
DRTG  108
DRB%  21.6
DWS  2.3

Sully is the best shot blocker,   He also wins DRTG, (Estimate of Points per 100 Possessions).   Monroe is best at DWS and DRB.  So he is as bad folks.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I'd stay away from Jennings. Ultimate chucker.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »

• Ray Allen

I am not a big Jennings fan nor am I necessarily advocating for the proposed trade (although I do like Monroe.)

I am just saying it seems that of players get criticized for not playing defense, and I am just trying to get a read of who a good defender is.

Admittedly, I am someone who values good offense over good defense so maybe I am not the best judge of talent.

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/The%20Dwight%20Effect%20A%20New%20Ensemble%20of%20Interior%20Defense%20Analytics%20for%20the%20NBA.pdf

i would consider looking at this information and allowing it in my analysis. I really do not mean to sound off as an ignorant "He play no Dfence", but some players just do not  and it is not hard to prove after looking at the numbers and footage. But people can change, and that is called the x factor.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 09:20:17 PM »

• Ray Allen

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/The%20Dwight%20Effect%20A%20New%20Ensemble%20of%20Interior%20Defense%20Analytics%20for%20the%20NBA.pdf

i would consider looking at this information and allowing it in my analysis. I really do not mean to sound off as an ignorant "He play no Dfence", but some players just do not  and it is not hard to prove after looking at the numbers and footage. But people can change, and that is called the x factor.
Also today I wrote a post about Larry sanders
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=72287.0

Thats one example of player who plays defense. In my opinion.