Author Topic: What free agent we need to get and what I think the celtics should do.  (Read 5708 times)

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Jordan Hill!  I've been looking at what might be available, and with not many legit bigs out there, I believe Jordan Hill is a must get for the C's.

He's a legit big who can defend the middle and protect the rim.  Based on numbers, he's improved in each year.  He shouldn't cost much more than 6-7 mil per which is double his last years salary.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'd much rather get Isiah Thomas and keep Rondo, meaning we probably let Pressey go and shift Bradley to almost full-time at SG. Thomas-Rondo-Smart would be an amazing PG trio and Bradley could still make an Impact at the SG position.
Thomas, Rondo, Smart makes no sense to me.  Three starting point guards and no center.

Yeah I don't see how getting 3 pgs who all should be get 30+ minutes, and are all undersized, makes any sense.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We don't have to throw in the towel on the upcoming season. Ainge did that last year. I would try to acquire proven players either by trade or free agency(Love, Monroe, Gasol, Bosh, Hayward, Deng) and get back to vying for a championship.

I don't see two players on that list that could lead us to a championship.   I see a good team with those guys but losing in the playoffs and low draft picks.   If we get a guy on your list best be a young one that will develop with our youth because.   Monroe, Hayward and Love are not leading a team to a title.  Deng is getting up there.  Bosh just had a vanishing finals.   Gasol is older than dirt.

Is it better to tank and not have a chance or fool yourself that you can compete and not have a chance?   One has at least draft picks to offer, the other maybe a Atlantic Conference Title, but no chance at the NBA finals.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Ryan Kelley and next year Kyle Singler. Cheap two year deals with options

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We don't have to throw in the towel on the upcoming season. Ainge did that last year. I would try to acquire proven players either by trade or free agency(Love, Monroe, Gasol, Bosh, Hayward, Deng) and get back to vying for a championship.

I don't see two players on that list that could lead us to a championship.   I see a good team with those guys but losing in the playoffs and low draft picks.   If we get a guy on your list best be a young one that will develop with our youth because.   Monroe, Hayward and Love are not leading a team to a
I would like to get Hump back, but not for the price he previously was being paid.

He's very solid. Could be a very good 3rd big. Will rebound and play tough defense, score here and there. MLE sounds nice.
He's the only one on that list that I'm interested in keeping. I would sign him for the vet min, but maybe not for the MLE.
.  Deng is getting up there.  Bosh just had a vanishing finals.   Gasol is older than dirt.

Is it better to tank and not have a chance or fool yourself that you can compete and not have a chance?   One has at least draft picks to offer, the other maybe a Atlantic Conference Title, but no chance at the NBA finals.
I would wager that the C's get none of those players anyway. Like others have said, they will be quiet in free agency.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Jordan Hill and Ed Davis. Two long athletic bigs.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Tall athletic big would be nice.   It's the fourth of July and only a few more days for the TE fireworks.

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
If we could I'd cut the entire team and start over.  No one on this team is that good and they are over paid. Cut Rondo out of this statement, do you see any of are players starting on a title contending team? In all seriousness if you take your green koolaid glasses off the only real possibility is Jeff Green. That should tell us how far we are from contending. As for Rondo, he in my opinion is over rated. He's a pass first point guard, of course he's going to average 10+ assist a game, he can't do anything else. Can he shoot, no. can he make a free throw, no. do he try every game, no. is he a leader, no. If we don't trade him he's going to walk next summer. He is not worth 100 mill, but then again either are many others. We just gave AB a horrible contract, an undersize SG who's numbers just went up because no one else can score on this team and everyone acts hes the second coming. The bum can't make layups, stay healthy, shoot consistent, dribble and can get posted up by bigger guards. On top of all that, we can't attract free agents and have no luck in the draft. UGH!!!! 16 years to go until #18!!

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we could I'd cut the entire team and start over.  No one on this team is that good and they are over paid. Cut Rondo out of this statement, do you see any of are players starting on a title contending team? In all seriousness if you take your green koolaid glasses off the only real possibility is Jeff Green. That should tell us how far we are from contending. As for Rondo, he in my opinion is over rated. He's a pass first point guard, of course he's going to average 10+ assist a game, he can't do anything else. Can he shoot, no. can he make a free throw, no. do he try every game, no. is he a leader, no. If we don't trade him he's going to walk next summer. He is not worth 100 mill, but then again either are many others. We just gave AB a horrible contract, an undersize SG who's numbers just went up because no one else can score on this team and everyone acts hes the second coming. The bum can't make layups, stay healthy, shoot consistent, dribble and can get posted up by bigger guards. On top of all that, we can't attract free agents and have no luck in the draft. UGH!!!! 16 years to go until #18!!

A couple things,

1. Yes our roster would not be starters for a title contending team besides Rondo/Green and maybe Bass if he was the fifth best player...That's kind of the point...If we had a starting five capable of being title contenders, we would be title contenders.

2. Rondo is a pass first pointguard but saying he can only get assists is a lie. He is a very good rebounder and can defend/get to the rim when he really wants to.

3. I'd be kind of shocked if we didnt at least make the finals in the next 10 years let alone 16. We seem to be set up well for the future.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I'd much rather get Isiah Thomas and keep Rondo, meaning we probably let Pressey go and shift Bradley to almost full-time at SG. Thomas-Rondo-Smart would be an amazing PG trio and Bradley could still make an Impact at the SG position.
Thomas, Rondo, Smart makes no sense to me.  Three starting point guards and no center.

Yeah I don't see how getting 3 pgs who all should be get 30+ minutes, and are all undersized, makes any sense.
just for context....

nba avg pg height w/o shoes = 6' 1.2"
rondo height w/o shoes = 6'
smart height w/o shoes = 6' 2"
thomas height w/o shoes = 5' 9"

nba avg pg standing reach  = 8'1.6'
rondo standing reach = could not find it, but he has very long arms
smart standing reach = 8' 4"
thomas standing reach = 7' 8.5"

and only thomas is really undersized. since rondo has an amazing arm length that could overcome the 1.2" shortfall in height.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Don't need Thomas if we still have Rondo. The fact is we just resigned AB (like it or not) and we have Smart, no need for a fourth quality guard. If we trade Rondo (which I'm on the fence about) than adding a scoring guard like Thomas makes sense.

I personally like a KO/Sully (as long as he can get in shape) rotation, if we could add a big that can defend and rebound I would be very happy.

I think Jordan Hill makes a lot of sense at this point.

PG/SG rotation: Rondo/AB/Smart
SF: Green
Big rotation: KO/Sully/Hill

Bench: Wallace (unfortunately), Bass (unless trade), Hump?, Pressey, Young...

I could get into watching that team and in the sad East if they stay healthy they could be a 6-8 seed.

*I think KO is going to have a good second year, he seems to be taking it serious and looks like he has tightened up.

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
If trading rondo is a must.....trade rajon for lance stephenson and draft picks (or maybe lance and Roy hibbert, I'd rather the draft picks), then trade Jeff green and those picks for Greg monroe.
We would still have a slew of draft picks and already have young talent (24 is the oldest).
A core to build around of smart, Bradley, stephenson, James young, Kelly o, sully, and moose would be an unbelievable start to a rebuild.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:58:04 PM by bmac934 »