Author Topic: How Could Celts Benefit if Lebron Signs in Cleveland?  (Read 6312 times)

How Could Celts Benefit if Lebron Signs in Cleveland?
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Vibe I'm getting from the media is that it is neck and neck between Cleveland and Miami as to where Lebron goes.  I am wondering if we could somehow resurrect our role as facilitator, per Kevin O'Conner's excellent article a couple of weeks ago.

Let's assume:

1. Lebron will go to Cleveland if they are able to get to land another decent FA such as Bosh or Carmelo, or are able to get Love. (I don't think Kyrie Irving and Wiggins are enough to give Lebron confidence that they would be able to win the East, not to mention an NBA championship).
2.  Would Cleveland be required to move Wiggins to have the cap space to sign Lebron and another near max FA?  If so, would they be willing to do so? Hard to imagine they would hesitate. What impact did Kyrie's new contract have on their ability to sign a second big FA?  Pretty much can't happen?
3.  Say we could play a role, and we could get Wiggins in the process.  Given Philly's strong desire for Wiggins, would you consider flipping him to Philly for the rights to Embiid and Saric?  I would bet you Philly would agree to that trade.

Curious to hear from those salary cap experts out there to see if this is completely unrealistic. It was an idea that had a lot of traction before the draft.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:03:22 PM by footey »

Re: How Could Celts Benefit if Lebron Signs in Cleveland?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I do not understand why so many believe LeBron will go back to Cleveland.

That Cavs team is so far away being Championship caliber. It's pie in the sky stuff.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
A lot of buzz I have been reading on the 'Net.  Where there's smoke....?

If Lebron is seriously thinking about it, would it not behoove Danny to contact Lebron's agent and/or Cleveland to help them clear enough space for another big FA to join him?  Lebron can't afford to wait for Wiggins to mature over the next 2-3 years before he is ready to be a big time contributor.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:24:57 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
here is what lebron can make with another team than miami
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/10/maximum-contract-scenarios-carmelo-lebron.html

cavs payroll: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/cleveland-cavaliers-team-salary/
http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/cavaliers.jsp

Anderson Varejao   $9,704,545       (only 4 million guaranteed no guarantee date)        
Kyrie Irving   $7,070,730       
Jarrett Jack   $6,300,000       
Anthony Bennett   $5,563,920             
Tristan Thompson   $5,138,430           
Andrew Wiggins (unsigned 1st)   $4,592,200    (+20%)           
Dion Waiters   $4,062,000    
Tyler Zeller   $1,703,760    
Sergey Karasev   $1,533,840   
Scotty Hopson   $1,450,878           
Carrick Felix   $816,482       
Matt Dellavedova   $816,482

If they waive Varejao, Hopson, Felix and Dellavedova, + 3 empty cap holds, and renounce their FA's they are roughly at 42 million. Enough to sign lebron.

They also have many assets for a Love trade.

Thompson
Waiters
Bennett
Varejao actually (for kevin martin) Minny cuts varejao and saves money this year and 2 years of martin future salary.

I don't think they make Wiggins available for Love if they get Lebron, the idea is to  pair him with lebron.

So they might roll with Irving/wiggins/lebron/love/zeller

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Thanks, that was very helpful.   Seems like if Love is the guy, not much we could do to get involved.  But I could see Wolves holding out for Wiggins, since the pressure would be on Cleveland to accomodate Lebron.  Just don't know who he would want on the roster with him.  Melo?  Bosh?  Seems like that team would be missing an inside presence, especially on the defensive end.

Pau Gasol would make some sense, at least on a short term basis. He'd probably command about $10mm per at this stage.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If Cavs trade Wiggins for Love and sign LeBron, I'd probably try to snatch up Anthony Bennett from them.  I think he still has a future.  Kid has the tools, he just is raw and hasn't put it together yet.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1556

That Cavs team is so far away being Championship caliber. It's pie in the sky stuff.

agreed
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

They have a young core of high level prospects and a young player a year removed from being arguably the best pg in the game. They also have financial flexibility. It's not that far fetched that Lebron could team up with Kyrie and Wiggins and filler could be traded for Kevin Love.

AV
Love
James
Waiters
Irving

Slot in some solid "been there" vets and that team is an INSTANT contender in the East.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

They have a young core of high level prospects and a young player a year removed from being arguably the best pg in the game. They also have financial flexibility. It's not that far fetched that Lebron could team up with Kyrie and Wiggins and filler could be traded for Kevin Love.

AV
Love
James
Waiters
Irving

Slot in some solid "been there" vets and that team is an INSTANT contender in the East.

If they can get Kevin Love in there, I can see it as viable destination.

But MVPs do not pass up on playing with established stars to play with group of kids. No Love. No LeBron.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

agreed

I don't get the feeling from the media at all that James is even thinking about going back to Cleveland. The only thing the media is giving are rumors that Lebron is looking at Cleveland to get more page views. I would be shocked to see James leave Miami at this point, unless a team was able to bring both Melo and James in together.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

agreed

I don't get the feeling from the media at all that James is even thinking about going back to Cleveland. The only thing the media is giving are rumors that Lebron is looking at Cleveland to get more page views. I would be shocked to see James leave Miami at this point, unless a team was able to bring both Melo and James in together.

Broussard on ESPN yesterday said it was neck and neck between Miami and Cleveland, with Miami having the slight edge. 

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

agreed

Broussard on ESPN yesterday said it was neck and neck between Miami and Cleveland, with Miami having the slight edge.

Bolded for emphasis
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I didn't say it would happen, just that it is being speculated. That there is buzz around the league.  One of the sources is some hip hop artist, LOL, but sources have come from more unlikely sources.  Didn't Real GM break a story the other day? 

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

agreed

I don't put much stock in Broussard's insider info, and though I can certainly see why LeBron would return to Miami, I'm not sure why people see it as a lock. Wade's best days are well behind him, Bosh was nowhere near the force he was the previous couple of postseasons, the Heat have already lost out on Gortat and Lowry, and they stand to completely lose out on beefing up the supporting cast unless Bosh and Wade forgo big contracts. Time's ticking on that team.

Cleveland, on the other hand, has Irving and Wiggins, lots of youth and potential, and I think the city would welcome LeBron back. A lot bigger window of contention there.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think the only way to get in on this is to get a 4th team involved. Some one like Detroit.

Send Rondo and Green to Detroit.

Detroit sign and trade Monroe and filler, maybe an other player from Boston to Minni

Minni send Love to Cleveland, Filler to Boston

Cleveland send Wiggins, and filler to Boston/Minni.

Hard to figure out what would work with out trademachine, but Detroit will have a hard time moving Smiths contract and sign Monroe while Smith is there. Rondo makes Smith better by dictating his shots, Green makes them better by moving Smith to the PF spot and giving them a 3 point shooter in Green. They are a little PG heavy, but they can trade later.

Minni gets a established player, we could help them out with either sending them some one like Bradley or send Bradely to Cleveland and Cleveland sends Waiters to Minni.

Cleveland gets Love and frees up capspace.

Boston gets Wiggins, and filler. The youth movement officially starts. Smart/Young/Wiggins/KO/Fav makes for a fun lotto team!  :P

Man I wish Lebron and Melo would crap or get off the pot so we can stop fantasizing! LOL