Author Topic: Would you trade Sullinger in a deal for a center?  (Read 2873 times)

Would you trade Sullinger in a deal for a center?
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What about Sullinger and a first (plus filler contracts, if needed)?

The Celtics could use some combination of Olynyk, Bass, and Humphries (resigned on a reasonable deal) at PF.

What centers are there that might be available who you would consider giving Sullinger up for?  What stuff would have to be added to a deal for you to trade Sullinger for Koufos?  What if the Wizards asked for him as part of a sign-and-trade for Marcin Gortat?  Would his inclusion be a deal-breaker if someone who you consider an elite center suddenly became available?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Would you trade Sullinger in a deal for a center?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6

The Celtics could use some combination of Olynyk, Bass, and Humphries (resigned on a reasonable deal) at PF.

What centers are there that might be available who you would consider giving Sullinger up for?  What stuff would have to be added to a deal for you to trade Sullinger for Koufos?  What if the Wizards asked for him as part of a sign-and-trade for Marcin Gortat?  Would his inclusion be a deal-breaker if someone who you consider an elite center suddenly became available?
He def wont be a deal breaker if theres an elite center available (Gortat/Monroe/Jordan)

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

He def wont be a deal breaker if theres an elite center available (Gortat/Monroe/Jordan)

For one of those he's gone!

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Today, tomorrow or any day after that.  I would love to be a Sully supporter but the guy just hasn't learned that he has a responsibility to make himself better when he is off the court.  280lbs + back problems = serious durability and conditioning issues.  Not to mention that this team should be running up and down the court.

I like his effort in games..love his ability to bang and board.  Hate the weight and his new love for the deep ball.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Monroe's not really a center and in any case, none of them are exactly 'elite'. 

If we had a top player on the team already and we had a following deal to land either Gortat or Jordan for Sully, I'd make the deal contingent on what other pieces are involved.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Not even close... If we could get a good center for sully then you do it. it's not that he isn't a good player, it's jus.t that his size and athleticism is going to keep his ceiling down IMO. He doesn't have the ability to create his own shot, not great putting it on the floor, inconsistent shooter, and struggles down low vs longer PFs and Cs.

His strengths would be the exact strengths of the center we would get.. Only we would have 4 more inches in length (shot blocking, etc).

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If we had a top player on the team already and we had a following deal to land either Gortat or Jordan for Sully, I'd make the deal contingent on what other pieces are involved.

My question is: what other pieces?  Preferably involving a center who you can make a case for possibly becoming available.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I would be willing to give up Sully for a center who is a top 15 center that can be part of the team long term. So probably someone under the age of 26/27. I am not giving up Sully for any short term fixtures. Not with the team's roster as currently constituted (so far removed from title contention).

I would not trade Sully for Gortat. Too old. Not a long term piece. Already starting to decline. Do not think he will age well. Mediocre skill level coupled with lack of (high level) physical talent and a decline in effort/focus on defensive duties is not a good mixture.

No way in hell would I trade Sully for Koufos. Koufos is a backup quality center. I am not giving up a middle of the pack starting forward (where I rate Sully) for a backup center.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Sully's not going to be here when this team turns the corner so the answer is yes.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:29:56 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White

I would be willing to give up Sully for a center who is a top 15 center that can be part of the team long term. So probably someone under the age of 26/27. I am not giving up Sully for any short term fixtures. Not with the team's roster as currently constituted (so far removed from title contention).

I would not trade Sully for Gortat. Too old. Not a long term piece. Already starting to decline. Do not think he will age well. Mediocre skill level coupled with lack of (high level) physical talent and a decline in effort/focus on defensive duties is not a good mixture.

No way in hell would I trade Sully for Koufos. Koufos is a backup quality center. I am not giving up a middle of the pack starting forward (where I rate Sully) for a backup center.
Yup exactly... No way id lose sully for koufos... Only as part if a deal for a top 20 Center...

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:33 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
Sully's not going to be here when this team turns the corner so the answer is yes.
I think he very well may be here...

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I also think people would be surprised how little value Sully has to other teams in the league.  I believe I read an article the other day about the C's offering him as part of a package to get the #1 and the Cavs basically laughed.  I've heard Jalen Rose comment on how little both KO and Sully are worth.....

Are either of them even starters on a +500 team?

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:36:22 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
I also think people would be surprised how little value Sully has to other teams in the league.  I believe I read an article the other day about the C's offering him as part of a package to get the #1 and the Cavs basically laughed.  I've heard Jalen Rose comment on how little both KO and Sully are worth.....

Down the line they def may be... If we had a decent center last year and a go to wing scorer (Jeff Green does not qualify) we couldve easily been a +500 team and sully wouldve been the starting 4..

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 10:38:05 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Sully can't defend at all and has big problems with anyone with length. 

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 10:40:48 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White

Sully can't defend at all and has big problems with anyone with length.
Sully is actually a pretty decent defender he just looked bad last year cuz he spent most of his minutes against 7-footers... He was fine against most PFs... He guarded Love pretty well at the garden and scored effectively that game as well...besides his rebounding by itself would get him a start on many decent teams