Author Topic: Jeff Withey  (Read 3999 times)

Re: Jeff Withey
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
wouldn't be shocked if some type of trade went down where Withey and Rivers are moved. I believe the Asik deal is contingent on NO moving some additional salary. The salary clearing would likely come by trading Rivers and I could see Withey included. Maybe the Cs get involved by shipping Bogans out for these two.

good thinking (didn't realize that about Asik deal). the penalty for taking Rivers = getting Withey. like it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
i like the idea of bringing Withey, but i doubt the pelicans would like the trade him with his cheap contract...

how about ed Davis? he just became a unrestricted free agent as the grizz wont give him a qualifying offer. can he play center? 

i really liked him when he played for the raptors.

I was thinking about him the other day.  Why not?  He might be too skinny to play center, though (he's only 6'10").  We'd be foolish not to look into him, however, imo.

Also, why is everyone so high on Withey?  He's barely in the league.  Not that he can't play, I just hope that no one is expecting him to be a savior here haha.  Personally, I think that we should be more interested in the guy who posterized him earlier in the season, Xavier Henry.  Why wasn't he signed last year?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:22:31 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
i like the idea of bringing Withey, but i doubt the pelicans would like the trade him with his cheap contract...

They are in a situation where they might have to lose him anyway, either sending him to Houston to be waived or waiving him themselves.  New Orleans is in a position to potentially get something for nothing, whether it is a second round pick or being able to dump Austin Rivers.

Would you rather give up a second or take on Rivers or would you rather let him hit free agency and hope to sign him without giving anything up?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Jeff is a stiff who doesn't have much going for him other than his size, so I think we're better off Jeff Withoutey.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Also, why is everyone so high on Withey?  He's barely in the league.  Not that he can't play, I just hope that no one is expecting him to be a savior here haha.  Personally, I think that we should be more interested in the guy who posterized him earlier in the season, Xavier Henry.  Why wasn't he signed last year?

Here is what the Pelicans blog The Bird Writes wrote about him:

Jeff Withey flashed a good deal of positives. First, he was ultra-efficient on offense. Out of all NBA players who played a minimum of 500 minutes, he ranked 9th in offensive rating. Yes, he was fastidious with his shot selection, but on a team with a wealth of scoring options, that didn't pose as a hindrance. In fact, when he was on the floor, the Pelicans boosted a positive Net Rating of 2.1 (105.5 ORtg, 103.4 DRtg), the best of all Pelican regulars not named Luke Babbitt.

Second, Withey posted a 6.1 BLK%. That placed him sixth in the league, sitting only behind Anthony Davis, Serge Ibaka, Bismack Biyombo, Ronny Turiaf and Chris Andersen. For all those clamoring for a twin towers effect immediately after it was announced the Pelicans selected Nerlens Noel in last year's draft, there still remains the chance of incredible paint protection down the road.

Third, Withey proved his reputation as a renowned collegiate defender wasn't a fluke. According to Synergy Sports, opponents managed a 39.8 FG% against him. Player tracking data via NBA.com states he held the opposition to a 42.9 FG% around the rim. That's 6 percentage points more stingy than Davis and the only bigs who averaged 25+ minutes a game to best that mark were Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Larry Sanders and Robin Lopez.

On the minus side, he is a poor rebounder and lacks strength/weight.

So, he's basically an athletic shot-blocker and defender who has some weakness vs the pick and roll and has raw but limited offensive potential while rebounding less than you might expect for his size/athleticism, partly because he seems to prioritize defensive positioning over getting set for a rebound.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
No interest. Boston already has a superior third string quality center in Joel Anthony. A defensive minded shot-blocking center who is superior to Withey.

Your serious right? Withey is so much better than anthony right now

Joel Anthony is a better low post defender, better face up big man defender, better defensive rotations, better transition defense, better PnR defense and better closing out on jump-shooters.

Both are weak rebounders. Joel Anthony has slight edge due to quickness/agility and ability to get out of his area offensive rebounds.

Offensively, Joel Anthony is superior in transition and on cuts. Neither is a passer, jump-shooter and low post scorer.

Wow.  Withey had a 15.3 Efficiency Rating last year compared to Anthony's 8.2.  That is almost TWICE the efficiency rating!!  I agree with the previous poster saying that Jeff is already better than Joel EVER was or will become.

Joel Anthony is a joke and is NOT really the size a center should be anyway.

I LOVED Withey in college and I LOVE him now.

Get him Danny!!!

Smitty77