Author Topic: Jeff Withey  (Read 4005 times)

Jeff Withey
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I like Withey and believe he'd be a smart acquisition on the lower end of the cost spectrum. With NOP acquiring Asik (and still very thin on the wings / 3pt shooting), I wonder if he could be had fairly cheap.

Problem is its tricky to match up a player in return whose a great fit for them. Jeff Green would make sense in NOP, but there's not really enough to add (salary or talent) to a deal on their end to make sense of it.

Wonder if they'd accept Chris Johnson and a high 2nd for him -- doubt it. Regardless, wanted to raise his name. I'd like to see the Cs get 'im.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Jeff Withey
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I like Withey and believe he'd be a smart acquisition on the lower end of the cost spectrum. With NOP acquiring Asik (and still very thin on the wings / 3pt shooting), I wonder if he could be had fairly cheap.

Problem is its tricky to match up a player in return whose a great fit for them. Jeff Green would make sense in NOP, but there's not really enough to add (salary or talent) to a deal on their end to make sense of it.

Wonder if they'd accept Chris Johnson and a high 2nd for him -- doubt it. Regardless, wanted to raise his name. I'd like to see the Cs get 'im.

Withey is on a minimum contract, so no need to find matching salaries.

A future second rounder should be enough to get him, I would think.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No interest. Boston already has a superior third string quality center in Joel Anthony. A defensive minded shot-blocking center who is superior to Withey.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
wouldn't be shocked if some type of trade went down where Withey and Rivers are moved. I believe the Asik deal is contingent on NO moving some additional salary. The salary clearing would likely come by trading Rivers and I could see Withey included. Maybe the Cs get involved by shipping Bogans out for these two.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No interest. Boston already has a superior third string quality center in Joel Anthony. A defensive minded shot-blocking center who is superior to Withey.

Your serious right? Withey is so much better than anthony right now

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I would welcome Withey. He has legit size at C.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:24:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Joel Anthony is a better low post defender, better face up big man defender, better defensive rotations, better transition defense, better PnR defense and better closing out on jump-shooters.

Both are weak rebounders. Joel Anthony has slight edge due to quickness/agility and ability to get out of his area offensive rebounds.

Offensively, Joel Anthony is superior in transition and on cuts. Neither is a passer, jump-shooter and low post scorer.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:37:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Withey stands to improve and Anthony stands to decline next year, and while we may have a 3rd string center we currently have no 2nd or 1st string centers.

We currently have a gaping hole at C and we're rebuilding. Gambling on a young C like Withey on the cheap seems like a sensible move whether or not we have Joel Anthony. In 3 years we could have a nice backup C we've developed in-house. Joel Anthony will almost certainly not be on the team by then.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think this is a smart gamble.

Withey showed he was an elite shot blocker at KU, and he's got the size and instincts to be a rich man's version of Stiemer. Given our needs, we need to take some fliers on bigs like this.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Withey stands to improve and Anthony stands to decline next year, and while we may have a 3rd string center we currently have no 2nd or 1st string centers.

We currently have a gaping hole at C and we're rebuilding. Gambling on a young C like Withey on the cheap seems like a sensible move whether or not we have Joel Anthony. In 3 years we could have a nice backup C we've developed in-house. Joel Anthony will almost certainly not be on the team by then.

Celtics already have two 3rd string centers in Faverani and J.Anthony. Bringing in another is a waste of a roster spot. And it is not a solution to Boston's problems at the center position. They need someone who is a genuine upgrade over current options.

The Celtics have one project center in Faverani already on the books and another set to come over from Turkey in C.Iverson in near future. They do not need a third project 3rd string center in Withey. They have enough already.

This is a waste of a roster spot.

And a waste of whatever asset (2nd round pick) Ainge has to give up to get Withey.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I rather have Fab Melo  :(
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Withey would be a better cheap option to chase after than that Bismack Biymbo dream that a bunch of people here want to go after.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Joel Anthony is a better low post defender, better face up big man defender, better defensive rotations, better transition defense, better PnR defense and better closing out on jump-shooters.

Both are weak rebounders. Joel Anthony has slight edge due to quickness/agility and ability to get out of his area offensive rebounds.

Offensively, Joel Anthony is superior in transition and on cuts. Neither is a passer, jump-shooter and low post scorer.

Withey is just much more athletic and quicker right now.  Also his offensive game is coming along which can't be said about Anthony. If this were two-three years ago, you have a point. Right now anthony is relaxing, not doing too much and getting ready for retirement or to finish off his career in china or something

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »

Offline mr. kurtz

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
i like the idea of bringing Withey, but i doubt the pelicans would like the trade him with his cheap contract...

how about ed Davis? he just became a unrestricted free agent as the grizz wont give him a qualifying offer. can he play center? 

i really liked him when he played for the raptors. 

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

most amusing post i've read on Cs blog in 2014 -- especially that 'transition and cuts' bit. TP!

Joel's PER last year? "N/A". he's not better than anyone at anything. if he was still good for anything whatsoever the Heat wouldn't have dumped him for nothing so Chris Anderson could be their only center during a title run.

Withey's 7 feet, 24 years old, and -- despite some flaws -- an outstanding shotblocker (i won't use the term "rim protector" -- nasty). take a flier on him.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)