Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension  (Read 49199 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2014, 05:01:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
OKC's ownership is a perfect example of bad ownership in general.
Robert Sarver is offended! He has that locked up for at least another three years.

« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Can't believe how many people trust this rumor.......

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.

Max is always around the team, played for the Cs, and played with Ainge. If he's saying it, I would tend to believe him. Which begs the question, is the rumor so outlandish? This will be Rondos final huge contract so is it really such a stretch that he would ask for max money to provide financial security?

Max is the same guy who was telling people that Baby's second contract (3 years, $8M total) was going to be $10M a year. He was just as plugged in then as he is now.

Maybe more plugged in than you gave him credit for...

Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg  · 
Rondo asked if he sees himself as a max contact guy. Answers "yes" as Ainge playfully blinks hard next to him.

Honestly, what would you expect him to say?

Whatever Rondo signs for, I wouldn't take it as evidence that Max is really plugged in though.

You've always maintained that there was no definitive proof that Rondo wanted a max despite quite a few reports stating it.

Of course he's looking for the max. Why wouldn't he be? Players want to get paid, especially one that will be looking at his final big payday.

Every player in the nba wants max money. Why wouldn't they? I'd take $20M a year if I could get it. I'd guess that I said something along the lines of he might sign for less than the max. I might not have explicitly added the disclaimer that he'd want as much money as he could get, I assumed people were smart enough to realize that.

That's not what you've always said, though. In fact, it basically contradicts some of your earlier thoughts on Rondo.

This was you, in this very thread, in a response about Rondo's agent asking for 85M, according to David Aldridge, and then settling for 55M.

That's one of the reasons this has legs, people *still* buy that Aldridge rumor despite everyone involved denying it

So I assume when you wrote that you weren't smart enough to realize people always want as much money as possible. 

Also, who exactly denied that report? I challenge to show an example of someone denying the report, other than his agent (not good to ask for 85M and settle for 55M) or the team (who doesn't discuss contract negotiations anyways), because you're just making stuff up to support your argument.

Most of the articles that came out after Rondo signed the extension were like:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/celtics-rondo-55-million-extension-081000953--nba.html

"League sources said the extension is for five years and guarantees Rondo at least $55 million. With the two sides facing a Monday deadline to get a deal done, Duffy said he called Celtics president Danny Ainge on Sunday to inform him Rondo was prepared to play out his contract and become a restricted free agent next summer because they weren’t satisfied with the team’s previous offers. Ainge, however, surprised Duffy by responding that Rondo’s contract hopes would be met.

“As much as we were willing to wait his contract out, the Celtics stepped up to the plate to meet the original request,” Duffy said by phone."

That hardly constitutes my "making things up". Other accounts you can find will even say that the Celts offered $45M and when up by $10M to meet Duffy's demands.

By the way, do you even read what you write? You challenge me to find an example of someone denying the report other than the agent or the team. You might have trouble wrapping your mind around this, but those are the only people who would actually know what went on in the negotiations.

Why would Duffy acknowledge that he initially asked for 85M, but was rebuffed? That's not doing his job as an agent. Not only does that make no sense, but also contradicts you stating that "every player wants max money". So how can you make that comment, but then suggest that Rondo's agent went to the negotiating only seeking 55M over 5 years?

For one that often questions others ability to read, your reading comprehension sure seems lacking. Your condescending nature never lacks though. You must have a lot of friends.

So… every agent for every player should always start out negotiations _asking_ for the absolute maximum contract their client qualifies for, regardless of whether it will realistically be met?

Journeyman, bench role player FAs should be asking for max deals?   Because they probably 'want' that much money, right?  According to the logic you are expressing here, because Rondo might want as much money as he can get, therefore his agent _must_ have asked for $85M -- and not the $55M that the agent claimed to have asked for and that Ainge has never corrected him on and never mind that no one other than Aldridge ever seems to have reported that $85M number.

There is a difference between acknowledging that all players might _want_ to get a max deal versus the action of actually _asking_ for a max deal in negotiations.

Starting out negotiations too far from where you are willing to meet in the middle is not really a very good negotiating ploy.   That can lead the other side to think you will not meet them at a reasonable point so they won't negotiate in turn and the next thing you know a player is traded or becomes a FA when it could have been avoided all along.   A good agent, like a good GM will typically have a common understanding of where in the market a player's value sits and they will negotiate around that point knowing they will end up near it.

You're arguing about certain things that I never said. I never said all players should ask for max deals, but Rondo's agent should do his due diligence as an agent to have asked for 85M over 5 years. I wouldn't have considered that outlandish. Moreover, I would say that Rondo at 23, following an amazing playoff run vs Chicago and Orlando deserved the max more than the Rondo of today, who last we saw had lost a step or two.

That was confirmed by the very credible Aldridge and refuted by no unbiased party. I take what Duffy says with a grain of salt. As an agent which sounds better, "we asked for 85M, but settled for 55M" or "the Celtics met our original request"?

So you are saying that only Rondo's agent should follow this ill-advised strategy?   Why single only his agent out?

Deserving or not, the Celtics would have been put pretty heavily into the luxury tax by such a request.  The C's were taxpayers during most of that period.  That extra 6M per year would have cost a heck of a lot more when you add on tax penalties.  The Celtics also were looking forward to having other big contracts to sign in the next couple of years.   Duffy would know all this.

It makes no sense that an agent representing a player who _wants_ to get signed by a particular team would ask for a number that the team couldn't possibly meet or puts them up against the wall in order to do so.

I see zero evidence that Aldridge is more credible on this topic than the agent and GM involved in the actual negotiation.   The number Aldridge provided has been confirmed by no other source as far as I can tell.   If you have an independent verification of it, please share.  Otherwise, it sounds like it was made up out of thin air.

The "Rondo of today", is not really relevant.  The contract, if any, will be signed next summer.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2014, 05:47:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.

Max is always around the team, played for the Cs, and played with Ainge. If he's saying it, I would tend to believe him. Which begs the question, is the rumor so outlandish? This will be Rondos final huge contract so is it really such a stretch that he would ask for max money to provide financial security?

Max is the same guy who was telling people that Baby's second contract (3 years, $8M total) was going to be $10M a year. He was just as plugged in then as he is now.

Rondo asked if he sees himself as a max contact guy. Answers "yes" as Ainge playfully blinks hard next to him.

Whatever Rondo signs for, I wouldn't take it as evidence that Max is really plugged in though.

You've always maintained that there was no definitive proof that Rondo wanted a max despite quite a few reports stating it.

Of course he's looking for the max. Why wouldn't he be? Players want to get paid, especially one that will be looking at his final big payday.

Every player in the nba wants max money. Why wouldn't they? I'd take $20M a year if I could get it. I'd guess that I said something along the lines of he might sign for less than the max. I might not have explicitly added the disclaimer that he'd want as much money as he could get, I assumed people were smart enough to realize that.

That's not what you've always said, though. In fact, it basically contradicts some of your earlier thoughts on Rondo.

This was you, in this very thread, in a response about Rondo's agent asking for 85M, according to David Aldridge, and then settling for 55M.

That's one of the reasons this has legs, people *still* buy that Aldridge rumor despite everyone involved denying it

So I assume when you wrote that you weren't smart enough to realize people always want as much money as possible. 

Also, who exactly denied that report? I challenge to show an example of someone denying the report, other than his agent (not good to ask for 85M and settle for 55M) or the team (who doesn't discuss contract negotiations anyways), because you're just making stuff up to support your argument.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/celtics-rondo-55-million-extension-081000953--nba.html

"League sources said the extension is for five years and guarantees Rondo at least $55 million. With the two sides facing a Monday deadline to get a deal done, Duffy said he called Celtics president Danny Ainge on Sunday to inform him Rondo was prepared to play out his contract and become a restricted free agent next summer because they weren’t satisfied with the team’s previous offers. Ainge, however, surprised Duffy by responding that Rondo’s contract hopes would be met.

“As much as we were willing to wait his contract out, the Celtics stepped up to the plate to meet the original request,” Duffy said by phone."

That hardly constitutes my "making things up". Other accounts you can find will even say that the Celts offered $45M and when up by $10M to meet Duffy's demands.

By the way, do you even read what you write? You challenge me to find an example of someone denying the report other than the agent or the team. You might have trouble wrapping your mind around this, but those are the only people who would actually know what went on in the negotiations.

Why would Duffy acknowledge that he initially asked for 85M, but was rebuffed? That's not doing his job as an agent. Not only does that make no sense, but also contradicts you stating that "every player wants max money". So how can you make that comment, but then suggest that Rondo's agent went to the negotiating only seeking 55M over 5 years?

For one that often questions others ability to read, your reading comprehension sure seems lacking. Your condescending nature never lacks though. You must have a lot of friends.

So… every agent for every player should always start out negotiations _asking_ for the absolute maximum contract their client qualifies for, regardless of whether it will realistically be met?

Journeyman, bench role player FAs should be asking for max deals?   Because they probably 'want' that much money, right?  According to the logic you are expressing here, because Rondo might want as much money as he can get, therefore his agent _must_ have asked for $85M -- and not the $55M that the agent claimed to have asked for and that Ainge has never corrected him on and never mind that no one other than Aldridge ever seems to have reported that $85M number.

There is a difference between acknowledging that all players might _want_ to get a max deal versus the action of actually _asking_ for a max deal in negotiations.

Starting out negotiations too far from where you are willing to meet in the middle is not really a very good negotiating ploy.   That can lead the other side to think you will not meet them at a reasonable point so they won't negotiate in turn and the next thing you know a player is traded or becomes a FA when it could have been avoided all along.   A good agent, like a good GM will typically have a common understanding of where in the market a player's value sits and they will negotiate around that point knowing they will end up near it.

You're arguing about certain things that I never said. I never said all players should ask for max deals, but Rondo's agent should do his due diligence as an agent to have asked for 85M over 5 years. I wouldn't have considered that outlandish. Moreover, I would say that Rondo at 23, following an amazing playoff run vs Chicago and Orlando deserved the max more than the Rondo of today, who last we saw had lost a step or two.

That was confirmed by the very credible Aldridge and refuted by no unbiased party. I take what Duffy says with a grain of salt. As an agent which sounds better, "we asked for 85M, but settled for 55M" or "the Celtics met our original request"?

So you are saying that only Rondo's agent should follow this ill-advised strategy?   Why single only his agent out?

Deserving or not, the Celtics would have been put pretty heavily into the luxury tax by such a request.  The C's were taxpayers during most of that period.  That extra 6M per year would have cost a heck of a lot more when you add on tax penalties.  The Celtics also were looking forward to having other big contracts to sign in the next couple of years.   Duffy would know all this.

It makes no sense that an agent representing a player who _wants_ to get signed by a particular team would ask for a number that the team couldn't possibly meet or puts them up against the wall in order to do so.

I see zero evidence that Aldridge is more credible on this topic than the agent and GM involved in the actual negotiation.   The number Aldridge provided has been confirmed by no other source as far as I can tell.   If you have an independent verification of it, please share.  Otherwise, it sounds like it was made up out of thin air.

The "Rondo of today", is not really relevant.  The contract, if any, will be signed next summer.

You think that an agent attempting to get the most money for his client is an "ill-advised strategy". How'd that work out for Bledsoe?

You really think that Duffy is looking out for the best interest of the Celtics and the tax dollars ownership will have to shell out? An agent who's very income is based on a percentage of his clients contracts is thinking more about cap figures? Think about that.

Ainge never discussed Rondo's previous contract publicly, only Duffy did. Which I mentioned above would be beneficial to him to say the C's met his demands. Is there any other writer who refuted Aldridge's report? Anyone? Would Aldridge have any conceivable reason to lie? Duffy would.

Rondo today or the Rondo next summer does not have the same value as the Rondo of 09. That Rondo was full of potential and the thought was "what if" he learns to shoot. Well, now he's just older, didn't learn to shoot, is coming of an ACL surgery, and has had several character related issues over the years.

« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Anybody who thinks Rondo doesn't want a max deal next summer is fooling himself/herself.

« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

You think that an agent attempting to get the most money for his client is an "ill-advised strategy". How'd that work out for Bledsoe?

You really think that Duffy is looking out for the best interest of the Celtics and the tax dollars ownership will have to shell out? An agent who's very income is based on a percentage of his clients contracts is thinking more about cap figures? Think about that.

Ainge never discussed Rondo's previous contract publicly, only Duffy did. Which I mentioned above would be beneficial to him to say the C's met his demands. Is there any other writer who refuted Aldridge's report? Anyone? Would Aldridge have any conceivable reason to lie? Duffy would.

Rondo today or the Rondo next summer does not have the same value as the Rondo of 09. That Rondo was full of potential and the thought was "what if" he learns to shoot. Well, now he's just older, didn't learn to shoot, is coming of an ACL surgery, and has had several character related issues over the years.

Bledsoe asked for 16.
The team offered 12.
Time passed.
They settled on 14.

Duffy's job is looking out for the best interests of his client - that isn't necessarily served by making unreasonable requests to the team the client wants to play for because that can end up with the client being traded to some other team.   An agent doesn't collect percentages on contracts for a player after he's been fired by the player.  And that definitely happens.

Nothing you have offered provides any reason to find the Aldridge number any more credible than what Duffy said.   To suggest that it is 'unbiased' requires knowledge that it came from an unbiased source.  Do you know what source provided it, if any, to Aldridge?   You apparently don't.

The fact that no other reporter refuted it does not make it more credible.  The more important factor is that no other writer _confirmed_ it.

I doubt the value of Rondo in the eyes of Danny Ainge has ever been dependent on whether he "learns to shoot".
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #260 on: September 30, 2014, 06:23:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think your definition of "very credible" is "says what I agree with". And who exactly are the unbiased people who are going to refute what Aldridge said? You claim that the people who actually know whether he's right or not are biased. That's horribly flawed logic on your part.

Just as bad is your frequent claim that Rondo's agent would deny that he asked for 85M because that would make him look bad. Pretty much anyone who knows much about negotiating will explain to you that having your initial bid accepted is about the worst mistake you can make. If Duffy asks for $55M and Danny says yes, how does Rondo know that he couldn't have gotten $60M or $65M? What's worse for an agent than saying he might have gotten a better deal for his client if he'd started out at a better number?

Beyond that, you're under-cutting your argument in these threads with this point. If you think that Rondo's agent asked for $17M and settled for $11M what would you expect the team to pay him if he asks for $20M? $13M? $12.5M? Obviously you couldn't use the expectation that Rondo would ask for a lot as proof he'd be unaffordable.

« Reply #261 on: September 30, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
what do you guys make of ainge's show of support with the press conference with rondo? is that legit, or is he just trying to pump up rondo's trade value?

« Reply #262 on: September 30, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
what do you guys make of ainge's show of support with the press conference with rondo? is that legit, or is he just trying to pump up rondo's trade value?

Ainge has been working closely with Rondo for 8+ years now.   He picked him and has apparently been behind him all the way to this point.   They've won a championship and came close to at least one more. 

I don't see any reason to think his support for Rondo isn't legit.

« Reply #263 on: September 30, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I be surprise if Rondo is on this team this time next year
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I be surprise if Rondo is on this team this time next year

People have been saying that since 2009 or so.