Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension  (Read 49198 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2014, 01:17:53 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Per 36 minutes, Rondo's career average is 12.1 Points, 9.2 Assists, 5 Rebounds and 2.1 Steals while shooting 47.5% FG.

He's made 4 All-Star games.

Among active players he 4th in career APG, 3rd in career Assist Percentage, 2nd in steal percentage, 7th in defensive rating and second in career triple doubles (Jason Kidd and Grant Hill rank higher, but both retired after last season).

He has made the All-Defensive Second Team 2 times, he All-Defensive First team 2 times, and the All-NBA Third team once.

I think Rondo is well within his rights to consider himself a max contract player.  You may feel otherwise, but when you look at some of the guys getting max contract deals in the past 4 or 5 years (Roy Hibbert, Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Eric Gordon, Josh Smith) I think it becomes incredibly difficult to argue that Rondo is not worthy of that.

Hard to understand why the latter four players in your list received anything near max contracts.  After last season's late meltdown, Hibbert's deal must be reevaluated.  In a few years, expect NBA owners to reissue the cry that "we must be saved from ourselves" with an even kinder (to ownership) CBA...

Max contract for Rondo?  Ha ha, that's a good one.  Hopefully this is just public posturing, but if RR is really serious about this, I don't think he'll have much trade value at all.  This latest injury is not helpful to his cause or to the Celtics.

Parsons and Hayward were just this summer. Owners are already pounding sand about this summer's extensions? I don't get it.

« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2014, 03:08:41 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
It is no more a question of whether he is worth the max or not, but if we have other options.

Rondo is the face of the franchise right now. Every single of the new guys (rookies or not), when asked about what excites them the most about this season, pointed to Rondo. Not the banners, the traditions, the coach or other players - only Rondo. Believe it or not, after 1 year away, Rondo is still recognizable, rumor worthy star, players are excited to play with.

We ain't getting anybody that exciting (for players or fans) in a trade. Solid peaces, potential, picks - yes, but not a face of a franchise. As others have pointed out, somebody is bound to offer max sheet to Rondo next summer. We either match or lose him.

So, Options are:
 - trade him and have a looong rebuild ahead, but with a slightly worse starting point than Bucks, Sixers, Suns etc...
 - keep him on the max price (a discount for a Non-trade clause?) and try to build a contender in the next years.

Good thing - with all those picks, we have either option available.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #242 on: September 30, 2014, 03:18:39 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
To be fair... I think the question was something like 'Do you think you are a max contract player?' Rondo being Rondo, he would never answer 'No' to that.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #243 on: September 30, 2014, 05:19:22 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Can't believe how many people trust this rumor.......

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.

Max is always around the team, played for the Cs, and played with Ainge. If he's saying it, I would tend to believe him. Which begs the question, is the rumor so outlandish? This will be Rondos final huge contract so is it really such a stretch that he would ask for max money to provide financial security?

Max is the same guy who was telling people that Baby's second contract (3 years, $8M total) was going to be $10M a year. He was just as plugged in then as he is now.

Maybe more plugged in than you gave him credit for...

Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg  · 
Rondo asked if he sees himself as a max contact guy. Answers "yes" as Ainge playfully blinks hard next to him.

Honestly, what would you expect him to say?

Whatever Rondo signs for, I wouldn't take it as evidence that Max is really plugged in though.

You've always maintained that there was no definitive proof that Rondo wanted a max despite quite a few reports stating it.

Of course he's looking for the max. Why wouldn't he be? Players want to get paid, especially one that will be looking at his final big payday.

Every player in the nba wants max money. Why wouldn't they? I'd take $20M a year if I could get it. I'd guess that I said something along the lines of he might sign for less than the max. I might not have explicitly added the disclaimer that he'd want as much money as he could get, I assumed people were smart enough to realize that.

That's not what you've always said, though. In fact, it basically contradicts some of your earlier thoughts on Rondo.

This was you, in this very thread, in a response about Rondo's agent asking for 85M, according to David Aldridge, and then settling for 55M.

That's one of the reasons this has legs, people *still* buy that Aldridge rumor despite everyone involved denying it

So I assume when you wrote that you weren't smart enough to realize people always want as much money as possible. 

Also, who exactly denied that report? I challenge to show an example of someone denying the report, other than his agent (not good to ask for 85M and settle for 55M) or the team (who doesn't discuss contract negotiations anyways), because you're just making stuff up to support your argument.

Aldrige's exact quote:
The meeting between the Celtics and Rondo's agent, Bill Duffy, came after two weeks of relatively amiable discussions about the parameters of a new deal for the 23-year-old Rondo, who has become one of the league's better young point guards despite periods of occasional drift and clashing with Coach Doc Rivers. But the discussions haven't yet led to a consensus on how to pay Rondo in a potential five-year deal. Rondo and Duffy are seeking a maximum or near-max contract that would pay him between $80 and $85 million; the Celtics are loath to put anything near that much into Rondo, given their existing expenditures for star players like Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:29:40 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #244 on: September 30, 2014, 05:57:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Per 36 minutes, Rondo's career average is 12.1 Points, 9.2 Assists, 5 Rebounds and 2.1 Steals while shooting 47.5% FG.

I think if a player or agent tried to use PER 36 in negotiations they would be laughed out of the building.

« Reply #245 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.

Max is always around the team, played for the Cs, and played with Ainge. If he's saying it, I would tend to believe him. Which begs the question, is the rumor so outlandish? This will be Rondos final huge contract so is it really such a stretch that he would ask for max money to provide financial security?

Max is the same guy who was telling people that Baby's second contract (3 years, $8M total) was going to be $10M a year. He was just as plugged in then as he is now.

Rondo asked if he sees himself as a max contact guy. Answers "yes" as Ainge playfully blinks hard next to him.

Whatever Rondo signs for, I wouldn't take it as evidence that Max is really plugged in though.

You've always maintained that there was no definitive proof that Rondo wanted a max despite quite a few reports stating it.

Of course he's looking for the max. Why wouldn't he be? Players want to get paid, especially one that will be looking at final big payday.

+1 .  Tim you have said numerous times that Rondo never asked for the max before and now you say, what do you expect him to say??

CELTICSBLOG RULE #1:  Tim will NEVER admit that he's wrong about anything, anytime, anywhere.

Sure, I've admitted I was wrong in the past when that's been shown to be true. Learn to read.

« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2014, 08:03:14 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
It is no more a question of whether he is worth the max or not, but if we have other options.

Rondo is the face of the franchise right now. Every single of the new guys (rookies or not), when asked about what excites them the most about this season, pointed to Rondo. Not the banners, the traditions, the coach or other players - only Rondo. Believe it or not, after 1 year away, Rondo is still recognizable, rumor worthy star, players are excited to play with.

We ain't getting anybody that exciting (for players or fans) in a trade. Solid peaces, potential, picks - yes, but not a face of a franchise. As others have pointed out, somebody is bound to offer max sheet to Rondo next summer. We either match or lose him.

So, Options are:
 - trade him and have a looong rebuild ahead, but with a slightly worse starting point than Bucks, Sixers, Suns etc...
 - keep him on the max price (a discount for a Non-trade clause?) and try to build a contender in the next years.

Good thing - with all those picks, we have either option available.

You summed up the issue with your first point. Rondo is the Celtics most recognizable player. He is a 4th option on a contender and a solid role player in the NBA. For a team like the Celtics you should shoot for someone higher to build your team and organization around. He is a diva without the skill set to back it up. Currently they have no one even close to a franchise player on the roster with very little upside other than picks. Rondo needs to go so Ainge can do the right thing and tank. I'm also tired of the Brad Stevens Ned Flanders act. Show that you're a good coach then you can walk around positive all the time. Stevens has proved nothing and hell if it wasn't for playing in a mediocre conference he might have never gotten into the tourney. You think he could have matched up with the big boys in the SEC or ACC then you're dreaming.

Rondo wants a max contract for production the Celtics could probably eventually get out of Banks 2.0 for a fraction of the price. He is nothing special and I wish Celtics fans would drop the act. LeBron, Durant, Curry, Paul etc...those are max players. Whoever signs Rondo to that deal is going to be praying for a lockout in 2 years.

« Reply #247 on: September 30, 2014, 08:08:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He's made 4 All-Star games.

Among active players he 4th in career APG, 3rd in career Assist Percentage, 2nd in steal percentage, 7th in defensive rating and second in career triple doubles (Jason Kidd and Grant Hill rank higher, but both retired after last season).

He has made the All-Defensive Second Team 2 times, he All-Defensive First team 2 times, and the All-NBA Third team once.

I think Rondo is well within his rights to consider himself a max contract player.  You may feel otherwise, but when you look at some of the guys getting max contract deals in the past 4 or 5 years (Roy Hibbert, Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Eric Gordon, Josh Smith) I think it becomes incredibly difficult to argue that Rondo is not worthy of that.

Hard to understand why the latter four players in your list received anything near max contracts.  After last season's late meltdown, Hibbert's deal must be reevaluated.  In a few years, expect NBA owners to reissue the cry that "we must be saved from ourselves" with an even kinder (to ownership) CBA...

Max contract for Rondo?  Ha ha, that's a good one.  Hopefully this is just public posturing, but if RR is really serious about this, I don't think he'll have much trade value at all.  This latest injury is not helpful to his cause or to the Celtics.
Josh Smith didn't sign a max contract and the other guys were all coming off of rookie deals so their max contract is much different than what Rondo's would be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #248 on: September 30, 2014, 08:10:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Of course he's looking for the max. Why wouldn't he be? Players want to get paid, especially one that will be looking at his final big payday.

Every player in the nba wants max money. Why wouldn't they? I'd take $20M a year if I could get it. I'd guess that I said something along the lines of he might sign for less than the max. I might not have explicitly added the disclaimer that he'd want as much money as he could get, I assumed people were smart enough to realize that.

That's not what you've always said, though. In fact, it basically contradicts some of your earlier thoughts on Rondo.

This was you, in this very thread, in a response about Rondo's agent asking for 85M, according to David Aldridge, and then settling for 55M.

That's one of the reasons this has legs, people *still* buy that Aldridge rumor despite everyone involved denying it

So I assume when you wrote that you weren't smart enough to realize people always want as much money as possible. 

Also, who exactly denied that report? I challenge to show an example of someone denying the report, other than his agent (not good to ask for 85M and settle for 55M) or the team (who doesn't discuss contract negotiations anyways), because you're just making stuff up to support your argument.

Most of the articles that came out after Rondo signed the extension were like:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/celtics-rondo-55-million-extension-081000953--nba.html

"League sources said the extension is for five years and guarantees Rondo at least $55 million. With the two sides facing a Monday deadline to get a deal done, Duffy said he called Celtics president Danny Ainge on Sunday to inform him Rondo was prepared to play out his contract and become a restricted free agent next summer because they weren’t satisfied with the team’s previous offers. Ainge, however, surprised Duffy by responding that Rondo’s contract hopes would be met.

“As much as we were willing to wait his contract out, the Celtics stepped up to the plate to meet the original request,” Duffy said by phone."

That hardly constitutes my "making things up". Other accounts you can find will even say that the Celts offered $45M and when up by $10M to meet Duffy's demands.

By the way, do you even read what you write? You challenge me to find an example of someone denying the report other than the agent or the team. You might have trouble wrapping your mind around this, but those are the only people who would actually know what went on in the negotiations.

« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2014, 08:24:54 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/celtics-rondo-55-million-extension-081000953--nba.html

"League sources said the extension is for five years and guarantees Rondo at least $55 million. With the two sides facing a Monday deadline to get a deal done, Duffy said he called Celtics president Danny Ainge on Sunday to inform him Rondo was prepared to play out his contract and become a restricted free agent next summer because they weren’t satisfied with the team’s previous offers. Ainge, however, surprised Duffy by responding that Rondo’s contract hopes would be met.

“As much as we were willing to wait his contract out, the Celtics stepped up to the plate to meet the original request,” Duffy said by phone."

That hardly constitutes my "making things up". Other accounts you can find will even say that the Celts offered $45M and when up by $10M to meet Duffy's demands.

By the way, do you even read what you write? You challenge me to find an example of someone denying the report other than the agent or the team. You might have trouble wrapping your mind around this, but those are the only people who would actually know what went on in the negotiations.

Why would Duffy acknowledge that he initially asked for 85M, but was rebuffed? That's not doing his job as an agent. Not only does that make no sense, but also contradicts you stating that "every player wants max money". So how can you make that comment, but then suggest that Rondo's agent went to the negotiating only seeking 55M over 5 years?

For one that often questions others ability to read, your reading comprehension sure seems lacking. Your condescending nature never lacks though. You must have a lot of friends.

« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just because a player wants max money does no mean the player has his agent ask for max money. I think this very simple fact is being lost amongst all of the back and forth.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:13:29 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Why would Duffy acknowledge that he initially asked for 85M, but was rebuffed? That's not doing his job as an agent. Not only does that make no sense, but also contradicts you stating that "every player wants max money". So how can you make that comment, but then suggest that Rondo's agent went to the negotiating only seeking 55M over 5 years?

For one that often questions others ability to read, your reading comprehension sure seems lacking. Your condescending nature never lacks though. You must have a lot of friends.

So… every agent for every player should always start out negotiations _asking_ for the absolute maximum contract their client qualifies for, regardless of whether it will realistically be met?

Journeyman, bench role player FAs should be asking for max deals?   Because they probably 'want' that much money, right?  According to the logic you are expressing here, because Rondo might want as much money as he can get, therefore his agent _must_ have asked for $85M -- and not the $55M that the agent claimed to have asked for and that Ainge has never corrected him on and never mind that no one other than Aldridge ever seems to have reported that $85M number.

There is a difference between acknowledging that all players might _want_ to get a max deal versus the action of actually _asking_ for a max deal in negotiations.

Starting out negotiations too far from where you are willing to meet in the middle is not really a very good negotiating ploy.   That can lead the other side to think you will not meet them at a reasonable point so they won't negotiate in turn and the next thing you know a player is traded or becomes a FA when it could have been avoided all along.   A good agent, like a good GM will typically have a common understanding of where in the market a player's value sits and they will negotiate around that point knowing they will end up near it.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

So… every agent for every player should always start out negotiations _asking_ for the absolute maximum contract their client qualifies for, regardless of whether it will realistically be met?

Journeyman, bench role player FAs should be asking for max deals?   Because they probably 'want' that much money, right?  According to the logic you are expressing here, because Rondo might want as much money as he can get, therefore his agent _must_ have asked for $85M -- and not the $55M that the agent claimed to have asked for and that Ainge has never corrected him on and never mind that no one other than Aldridge ever seems to have reported that $85M number.

There is a difference between acknowledging that all players might _want_ to get a max deal versus the action of actually _asking_ for a max deal in negotiations.

Starting out negotiations too far from where you are willing to meet in the middle is not really a very good negotiating ploy.   That can lead the other side to think you will not meet them at a reasonable point so they won't negotiate in turn and the next thing you know a player is traded or becomes a FA when it could have been avoided all along.   A good agent, like a good GM will typically have a common understanding of where in the market a player's value sits and they will negotiate around that point knowing they will end up near it.

This is exactly what happened to James Harden. His agent wanted him to get the max. Harden said in a interview he would've like to stay in OKC, he just wanted a few days to think bout taking less. He even said he would've but  literally hours later, OKC traded him off because they weren't willing to take the chance of losing Harden for nothing . Perfect example of bad negotiation
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:56:14 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »

« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
OKC's ownership is a perfect example of bad ownership in general.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

You're arguing about certain things that I never said. I never said all players should ask for max deals, but Rondo's agent should do his due diligence as an agent to have asked for 85M over 5 years. I wouldn't have considered that outlandish. Moreover, I would say that Rondo at 23, following an amazing playoff run vs Chicago and Orlando deserved the max more than the Rondo of today, who last we saw had lost a step or two.

That was confirmed by the very credible Aldridge and refuted by no unbiased party. I take what Duffy says with a grain of salt. As an agent which sounds better, "we asked for 85M, but settled for 55M" or "the Celtics met our original request"?