Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension  (Read 49224 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
1. if Rondo extends and doesn't enter FA, the most he gets is about $45m
2. if Rondo enters FA and signs with the C's, the most he gets is about $100m
3. if Rondo enters FA and signs with another team, the most gets is about $85m

Not trying to downplay the rest of your fantastic post, but this might as well be the Three Free Agency Commandments for the next few months. We need this plastered on all the digital walls everywhere.

I agree, but something is wrong between #2 and #3.  The fifth year of a five year deal will be worth close to $22 million, not $15 million as the algebra suggests.

I think option #3 is $80 million ($20 million average salary for four years) for signing elsewhere.  I think option #2 is about $105 million ($21 million average salary for five years) for signing with the Celtics.  The team with Bird rights can offer both higher salaries and more years.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:51:28 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think he's accounting for the salary cap increasing year in and year out, since the contracts are written as a percentage of the cap, if I'm thinking clearly -- don't have time to look it up.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

• For Pro-Rondo/Anti-Trade posters: Would you be willing to sign him for the max? If not, what is the minimum price point (between 0-100M) he can ask for that will make you say, "no thanks"?
  • For Anti-Rondo/Pro-Trade posters: the opposite; What is the maximum price point (between 0-100M) he can ask for that you would still deem fair?

I pose these questions because for me, whether Maxwell's rumors have any legs or not is beside the point. To me, it poses a larger and more interesting question at hand, which is at what threshold are we willing to sign Rondo or let him go.

I'm pro-Rondo.  I think he'll get a 4-year max offer from some team.  That max includes 4.5% raises.  The Celtics max includes 7.5% raises and an extra year.  I would walk away if he rejected both of the following options:

1) A 4-year deal max deal with 7.5% raises.
2) A 5-year deal max with 4.5% raises, with that final year a player option.

Both of those options are significantly better than any other team can offer.  He can have the extra security in the fifth-year player option, or the bigger raises, but not both.  I'm also fine with adding a 15% trade kicker.  He's at least earned that, being on the trading block for the last 5 years.

FWIW, i think some team will offer Rondo the 4-year max as well. TP for the great answer.

- LilRip

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I really like Rondo, but considering how loaded the point guard position is in general, i do not want to pay Rondo 20 mil per year. That is too much.

I'd say go forward with a Smart, Bradley back court instead.

Use that money on a big man, or a star scorer when the time comes.

If Rondo wont resign at 45/ 3 years, the Celtics should trade him before the Mid season deadline.

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Not trying to downplay the rest of your fantastic post, but this might as well be the Three Free Agency Commandments for the next few months. We need this plastered on all the digital walls everywhere.

I agree, but something is wrong between #2 and #3.  The fifth year of a five year deal will be worth close to $22 million, not $15 million as the algebra suggests.

I think option #3 is $80 million ($20 million average salary for four years) for signing elsewhere.  I think option #2 is about $105 million ($21 million average salary for five years) for signing with the Celtics.  The team with Bird rights can offer both higher salaries and more years.

yeah, I read somewhere it could be about $104 or $105M. But whether it's 100M, 104M or 105M, i think it's still within reason to say "about $100M"  ;D

- LilRip

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am not sure that I am either anti or pro Rondo, he is just a player with strengths and flaws and has a value relative to other players and the salary cap.

I would offer Rondo the 3 year $45 extension that I believe he is eligible for.  Part of that I would make the last year player option.  That salary is short enough (especially if he opts out) that he can sign another big one without being locked in for a long term if the team does not turn it around.  It is also long enough where if he blows out his knee, he can take the final year and still be pretty well set.   If he doesn't take that, trade him.

I suspect this has already been offered and rejected.  Some team will probably offer him near the $85 M which is too rich for me for Rondo.  Rondo has value, let's cash in some of that value before he walks and we get nothing.

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

yeah, I read somewhere it could be about $104 or $105M. But whether it's 100M, 104M or 105M, i think it's still within reason to say "about $100M"  ;D

I hear you on approximations for the purposes of the Celticsblogs forums.  My concern wasn't the specific number ($105 vs. $100) but more the difference in the max offer that the Celtics vs. others will be able to offer.  You have that estimated as $15 million (choice 2 vs. choice 3), when the actual number is likely between $25 and $30 million.  This creates a lot more room for negotiation between Rondo's open market max and his Bird rights max.

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
You also have to consider Rondos perspective here. He's hitting his prime years , comming off acl surgery and looked pretty poor when he played last season. He has also not proven yet that he is a top player in this league without the big three in his team. If he accepts an extension he loses out on 40-55 million of guaranteed money. He has to cash in now as much as he can, this is his best chance at getting paid big bucks before he's over the hill, or reinjured , or having his flaws magnified on a poorer roster in a league with many good point guards. He has to cash in now if anyone is willing to give him 85 million.

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

http://www.businessinsider.com/18-athletes-more-money-endorse-sport-2013-6?op=1
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Update based on recent signings:

Lowry  4 years $48M
Parker  4 years $55M (if you include 2014-15)
Rondo?

He could be extended at what would work out to be a 4 year $58M contract with 2014-15 included and 3 years added.  I think that is very fair.  I feel like if Rondo had made up his mind to stay in Boston, he would take that.  I don't blame him for wanting to enter FA and that doesn't mean he doesn't still have some loyalty to Boston but I don't think him declining the extension (which I assume he has done) is about the money.  He wants freedom.

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

http://www.businessinsider.com/18-athletes-more-money-endorse-sport-2013-6?op=1

One month later, and I still think this is, at best, tangentially related to my post.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I really like Rondo, but considering how loaded the point guard position is in general, i do not want to pay Rondo 20 mil per year. That is too much.

If Rondo wont resign at 45/ 3 years, the Celtics should trade him before the Mid season deadline.

I'm beginning to think along these lines as well.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I'm beginning to think along these lines as well.

I still consider Bradley as a backup SG...If we're going with Smart in the future, I want a SG that is not undersized

45/3 was along the lines of what I want to give Rondo as well...I mean sure I love Rondo and don't want to trade him, but I sure don't want to overpay him either.

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Rondo is not getting a max contract from anyone.

I beg to differ with your opinion.

Sacramento definitely would. New York Knicks definitely would. Possibly there are four or five other teams like the Lakers, Utah, Phoenix, Detroit, and Dallas.

I think we need to trade Rondo and turn to Marcus Smart.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Sacramento definitely would. New York Knicks definitely would. Possibly there are four or five other teams like the Lakers, Utah, Phoenix, Detroit, and Dallas.

Just wondering what makes you so certain of this.  I don't know so can't say you are wrong but I can say it would surprise me.