Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension  (Read 49225 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Is this like a few years ago when David Aldridge (a far more reliable "reporter" IMO) claimed Rondo and his agent were demanding a 5 yr, $85m deal only for it to be reported later that Rondo initially asked for the $55m deal he ended up getting?

So yeah, it's silly season. Take all of this with a large grain of salt.

That's one of the reasons this has legs, people *still* buy that Aldridge rumor despite everyone involved denying it.

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Is this like a few years ago when David Aldridge (a far more reliable "reporter" IMO) claimed Rondo and his agent were demanding a 5 yr, $85m deal only for it to be reported later that Rondo initially asked for the $55m deal he ended up getting?

So yeah, it's silly season. Take all of this with a large grain of salt.

That's one of the reasons this has legs, people *still* buy that Aldridge rumor despite everyone involved denying it.

I wouldn't pull down the Rondo wallpaper in your bedroom yet, Tim.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:07 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Can't believe how many people trust this rumor.......

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.

Max is always around the team, played for the Cs, and played with Ainge. If he's saying it, I would tend to believe him. Which begs the question, is the rumor so outlandish? This will be Rondos final huge contract so is it really such a stretch that he would ask for max money to provide financial security?

Is he saying it because it's true or because someone wants that rumor out there?  Is this being planted by someone with an agenda who is trying to accomplish something?
I bet its Marcus Smart who started the rumor. He has the most to gain and is it just coincidence that he gets drafted and a couple days later this rumor pops out of nowhere?!?!?!Marcus Smart has his tricks......

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
All due respect to Cornbread, a highly revered Celtic legend and extremely entertaining color commentator,  He seems to be talking out his you-know-what here.

A hundred million dollar extension?  That's roughly $56million more than he's eligible to actually sign an extension for.

C'mon, Max.  Stick to calling games on the radio.  Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:59:54 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Way too much to pay a role player. He's going to make D-Will's contract look good.

Hmmmm. He must easily have the record for playoff series triple doubles by a role player. Why do I torture myself reading Rondo threads?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:05:40 PM by vinnie »

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
All due respect to Cornbread, a highly revered Celtic legend and extremely entertaining color commentator,  He seems to be talking out his you-know-what here.

A hundred million dollar extension?  That's roughly $56million more than he's eligible to actually sign an extension for.

C'mon, Max.  Stick to calling games on the radio.  Ridiculous.

Maybe it's not ridiculous.   Can't Rondo get a 5yr $100mil deal with the Celts next year if he stays????
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Way too much to pay a role player. He's going to make D-Will's contract look good.

Hmmmm. He must easily have the record for playoff series triple doubles by a role player. Why do I torture myself reading Rondo threads?

Well there isn't much else to discuss and it was the popular rumor of the day. But all these threads end up with people arguing over extremes, Rondo is a top 3 point guard or Rondo is a bench player. Isn't reality, like it always is, that its somewhere in between? (Closer to top 3 than bench)
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2014, 02:05:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What if Rondo really wants to be a Celtic for life and is trying to torpedo attempts to trade him by making any interested team feel reluctant to meet his alleged asking price?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 02:09:32 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Kylie Irving just got a 90 million dollar deal

I wonder how this sets up Rondo on the market....
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
people are arguing over whether or not this is possible. here's the summary:

1. if Rondo extends and doesn't enter FA, the most he gets is about $45m
2. if Rondo enters FA and signs with the C's, the most he gets is about $100m
3. if Rondo enters FA and signs with another team, the most gets is about $85m

--

I think it's perfectly realistic that Rondo would want the max contract, given that this is likely the biggest payday of his career (the contract would expire when he's 33). Also, it's no secret that he's currently underpaid at $11M. Can't help but wonder if he feels a little jealous or his pride stings a little because his peers make so much more than him (kinda like how Kidd felt after Kerr and Fisher signed for coaching contracts larger than his).

All that said, the questions I want to pose are - assuming that Rondo is 100% going to enter FA, and he makes a full recovery,  and is completely willing to sign with the C's, regardless of rebuilding situation:

• For Pro-Rondo/Anti-Trade posters: Would you be willing to sign him for the max? If not, what is the minimum price point (between 0-100M) he can ask for that will make you say, "no thanks"?
  • For Anti-Rondo/Pro-Trade posters: the opposite; What is the maximum price point (between 0-100M) he can ask for that you would still deem fair?

I pose these questions because for me, whether Maxwell's rumors have any legs or not is beside the point. To me, it poses a larger and more interesting question at hand, which is at what threshold are we willing to sign Rondo or let him go.

- LilRip

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Rondo is not getting a max contract from anyone.

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

--

I think it's perfectly realistic that Rondo would want the max contract, given that this is likely the biggest payday of his career (the contract would expire when he's 33). Also, it's no secret that he's currently underpaid at $11M. Can't help but wonder if he feels a little jealous or his pride stings a little because his peers make so much more than him (kinda like how Kidd felt after Kerr and Fisher signed for coaching contracts larger than his).

All that said, the questions I want to pose are - assuming that Rondo is 100% going to enter FA, and he makes a full recovery,  and is completely willing to sign with the C's, regardless of rebuilding situation:

• For Pro-Rondo/Anti-Trade posters: Would you be willing to sign him for the max? If not, what is the minimum price point (between 0-100M) he can ask for that will make you say, "no thanks"?
  • For Anti-Rondo/Pro-Trade posters: the opposite; What is the maximum price point (between 0-100M) he can ask for that you would still deem fair?

I pose these questions because for me, whether Maxwell's rumors have any legs or not is beside the point. To me, it poses a larger and more interesting question at hand, which is at what threshold are we willing to sign Rondo or let him go.

I'll be happy if he extends, saves us tons of money, but that will never happen as 45 vs 85 or 45 vs 100 is a big big deal

So I expect him to go for that 100 mil deal from us, so if he returns somewhere between 85 and 90. Else, he bolts

I rather wait out this season first to see if he is worth anywhere near that money before I made any sorts of trade or signing decisions...next year he will be 100% no more excuses...

If he can carry the team to the playoffs, average a near triple dub of 18 / 11 / 8 then absolutely, I will give him that max contract...other wise I do not see a reason to give him THAT much money

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

--

I'll be happy if he extends, saves us tons of money, but that will never happen as 45 vs 85 or 45 vs 100 is a big big deal

So I expect him to go for that 100 mil deal from us, so if he returns somewhere between 85 and 90. Else, he bolts

I rather wait out this season first to see if he is worth anywhere near that money before I made any sorts of trade or signing decisions...next year he will be 100% no more excuses...

If he can carry the team to the playoffs, average a near triple dub of 18 / 11 / 8 then absolutely, I will give him that max contract...other wise I do not see a reason to give him THAT much money

18/11/8??? He's a steal at the max if he averages that.

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Not trying to downplay the rest of your fantastic post, but this might as well be the Three Free Agency Commandments for the next few months. We need this plastered on all the digital walls everywhere.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'm pro-Rondo.  I think he'll get a 4-year max offer from some team.  That max includes 4.5% raises.  The Celtics max includes 7.5% raises and an extra year.  I would walk away if he rejected both of the following options:

1) A 4-year deal max deal with 7.5% raises.
2) A 5-year deal max with 4.5% raises, with that final year a player option.

Both of those options are significantly better than any other team can offer.  He can have the extra security in the fifth-year player option, or the bigger raises, but not both.  I'm also fine with adding a 15% trade kicker.  He's at least earned that, being on the trading block for the last 5 years.