Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension  (Read 49238 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Can't believe how many people trust this rumor.......

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.
and..... vice versa i guess.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.

Max is always around the team, played for the Cs, and played with Ainge. If he's saying it, I would tend to believe him. Which begs the question, is the rumor so outlandish? This will be Rondos final huge contract so is it really such a stretch that he would ask for max money to provide financial security?

Is he saying it because it's true or because someone wants that rumor out there?  Is this being planted by someone with an agenda who is trying to accomplish something?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Is he saying it because it's true or because someone wants that rumor out there?  Is this being planted by someone with an agenda who is trying to accomplish something?
Or because he has no clue about the CBA, and can't tell "max extension" from "max contract"?

If Rondo wanted "max extension", that would have been signed by now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2014, 03:26:50 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Or because he has no clue about the CBA, and can't tell "max extension" from "max contract"?

What's the difference between the "max extensions" and "max contract" in this case?

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

What's the difference between the "max extensions" and "max contract" in this case?

Just under 60 million dollars.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2014, 03:49:47 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If they decide to trade him, I would rather try to package him and get something better instead of just "trading down" and getting McLemore or Waiters.

What about Rondo, Sullinger, and the 2016/2018 Nets picks for Drummond, Jerebko, Bynum, and Datome?

Leaves us with:

Smart
Bradley
Green
Olynyk
Drummond
6th man: Young

Will still need to draft a PF in 2015, but thats a pretty strong core group.

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2014, 03:51:42 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Max is always around the team, played for the Cs, and played with Ainge. If he's saying it, I would tend to believe him. Which begs the question, is the rumor so outlandish? This will be Rondos final huge contract so is it really such a stretch that he would ask for max money to provide financial security?

If he were actually hearing it from people with the team or people around Rondo, I doubt it would be news that gets out via Cedric Maxwell.  They'd be leaking this to others.

It's not a stretch that Rondo and his agent might initially ask for max money.  Nothing about Rondo would indicate that he values money above all else or needs to validate himself through his contract.

Mike

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

If he were actually hearing it from people with the team or people around Rondo, I doubt it would be news that gets out via Cedric Maxwell.  They'd be leaking this to others.

It's not a stretch that Rondo and his agent might initially ask for max money.  Nothing about Rondo would indicate that he values money above all else or needs to validate himself through his contract.

Mike

I agree with your first 'graph, not sure there's any evidence for the second one either way (cue absence of proof...)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Is this like a few years ago when David Aldridge (a far more reliable "reporter" IMO) claimed Rondo and his agent were demanding a 5 yr, $85m deal only for it to be reported later that Rondo initially asked for the $55m deal he ended up getting?

So yeah, it's silly season. Take all of this with a large grain of salt.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Cedric Maxwell also thinks that Kevin Love is a better 3 point shooter than Larry Bird was.

He's a funny guy...but not very bright at times.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The way I judge whether someone is a max player is whether his presence alone makes the team a playoff team.  Rondo does not.  Therefore he is not.

So you agree with me,  Love is not a max contract player.

At least someone agrees!

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2014, 05:47:56 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
If they decide to trade him, I would rather try to package him and get something better instead of just "trading down" and getting McLemore or Waiters.

What about Rondo, Sullinger, and the 2016/2018 Nets picks for Drummond, Jerebko, Bynum, and Datome?

Leaves us with:

Smart
Bradley
Green
Olynyk
Drummond
6th man: Young

Will still need to draft a PF in 2015, but thats a pretty strong core group.

They may trade Monroe but there's no way that they trade Drummond. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Contract year rondo. He's gonna go ballistic this season. Should still try to pursue love, though incredibly unlikely

This is exactly why we will not trade him until early January at the earliest.  It's going to be like playoff Rondo every game, and someone is going to bite the bullet and give Ainge the offer he's been looking for for years.

Good point.

hhmmnnnnnnn
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Contract year rondo. He's gonna go ballistic this season. Should still try to pursue love, though incredibly unlikely

This is exactly why we will not trade him until early January at the earliest.  It's going to be like playoff Rondo every game, and someone is going to bite the bullet and give Ainge the offer he's been looking for for years.

Good point.

hhmmnnnnnnn

Only if Rondo agrees to an extension with that team though. No matter how well hes playing even the stupidest GM won't give up much for half a season rental.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Max is the same guy who was telling people that Baby's second contract (3 years, $8M total) was going to be $10M a year. He was just as plugged in then as he is now.