Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension  (Read 49210 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
The way I judge whether someone is a max player is whether his presence alone makes the team a playoff team.  Rondo does not.  Therefore he is not. 

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Taking this directly from the front page for some discussion:

Here's the transcription from Ben Rohrbach at WEEI:

"I think it basically gives you an indicator of what the Celtics want to do," Maxwell told Yahoo Sports Radio. "Rumor has it that Rondo has asked for a $100 million extension. You've got Smart, the young kid, and you've got Young, the other kid from Kentucky - both guards. And in the NBA system right now, the way they're being paid, you would pay both those guys probably about $4 million for one year instead of the $100 million right now that Rondo wanted to ask for.

"So, if you're Rondo, you might want to start calling that moving company and say, ?Eh, come get my stuff. I don't think I'm going to be here too long.'"

Thoughts? Does Rondo really believe he is worth $100 million?

Who is "Maxwell?" Is this Cedric? If so, I'm surprised he's stirring the pot. Sounds like a comment with an agenda.

Someone needs to check the math. If Rondo is asking for an extension on his current deal, that's 4 years tacked on to the final year of his current deal (where he's $13 mil).

Are those four years really going to pay him an additional $87 mil? I don't think so.

3 years at $44.8m is the maximum extension he can get right now.

He's worth that healthy. $100 mil is right out of Mr. Rogers neighborhood.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

"I think it basically gives you an indicator of what the Celtics want to do," Maxwell told Yahoo Sports Radio. "Rumor has it that Rondo has asked for a $100 million extension. You've got Smart, the young kid, and you've got Young, the other kid from Kentucky - both guards. And in the NBA system right now, the way they're being paid, you would pay both those guys probably about $4 million for one year instead of the $100 million right now that Rondo wanted to ask for.

"So, if you're Rondo, you might want to start calling that moving company and say, ?Eh, come get my stuff. I don't think I'm going to be here too long.'"

Who is "Maxwell?" Is this Cedric? If so, I'm surprised he's stirring the pot. Sounds like a comment with an agenda.

Someone needs to check the math. If Rondo is asking for an extension on his current deal, that's 4 years tacked on to the final year of his current deal (where he's $13 mil).

Are those four years really going to pay him an additional $87 mil? I don't think so.

What about the super max that players like Durant signed? The absolute max he can get is around $15 a year for 3 years?

Red's army has a good breakdown of the situation: http://redsarmy.com/2014/06/30/rumor-rajon-rondo-has-asked-for-100-million/

The max he can sign as an extension differs from what he can sign as a free agent. He can sign a 5 year, $104 million max contract next summer staying with the C's, compared to a max deal of 4 years, $85 million with other teams. Currently, without becoming a FA, he can only sign a three-year, $44.8 million extension.

Correct the story on the front page goes further saying the rumor is that's the deal he will be seeking in free agency, not signing a extension during the season.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Do you have a link or support for that? Thanks.

Its in the CBA.  ;)

http://www.nba.com/media/CBA101_9.12.pdf

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

http://www.nbpa.org/cba/2011

Part of the reason why all these guys are "becoming free agents" is because signing an extension before you hit the market is completely and utterly moronic under the new CBA, since you're severely handicapping yourself when it comes to the maximum amount of money you can make. Even and especially if you want to stay with your hometown team.

Which is why all the "Rondo's not signing an extension, therefore he's gone" posts are so detrimental to the IQ's of anyone who reads them, because its an incredibly dumb jump that ignores the realities of the new situation.
Thanks. TP to you and RJ87. I had looked quickly at the CBA FAQ, but it was easier to find in the first link you gave.  I came up with $45.1M using Rondo's $13M salary at HoopsHype, but it's very close. IOW, the $100M number is still wrong.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Max' Max Rumor is worthless.

Danny's conundrum: The better Rondo plays this coming season, the higher his trade value, but also the higher his FA contract value.  Ideally, he will show great return form early in the season, so that if we have determined to trade him, we do so with enough left on his contract to get decent value. 

I am beginning to wonder what we could actually get from trading Rondo at this point.  A future first? Doubt a bad team would offer that without lotto protection, and he would probably make clear in advance of the trade that he would not extend with a bad team.  Doubt a good team would offer more than a first round pick or maybe, two.  Not sure I even want that, since they will likely be at the end of the first round.

Could we swing a deal with MIL where we get Larry Sanders and a future first?  That I would be interested in doing.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Bye bye Rajon

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

What about the super max that players like Durant signed? The absolute max he can get is around $15 a year for 3 years?

Red's army has a good breakdown of the situation: http://redsarmy.com/2014/06/30/rumor-rajon-rondo-has-asked-for-100-million/

The max he can sign as an extension differs from what he can sign as a free agent. He can sign a 5 year, $104 million max contract next summer staying with the C's, compared to a max deal of 4 years, $85 million with other teams. Currently, without becoming a FA, he can only sign a three-year, $44.8 million extension.

Correct the story on the front page goes further saying the rumor is that's the deal he will be seeking in free agency, not signing a extension during the season.

in that case, it's fine, he's being financially responsible that's all. It's a big difference in terms of money, for a 3 year vs the other deals

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

in that case, it's fine, he's being financially responsible that's all. It's a big difference in terms of money, for a 3 year vs the other deals

Right but is it a price DA will be willing to pay? I think RR will have to come down on his pay significantly if he wants to stay here.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rumor had it he was seeking $85 million on his last contract before signing it for $55 million.

Something to think about

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Can't believe how many people trust this rumor.......

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
The way I judge whether someone is a max player is whether his presence alone makes the team a playoff team.  Rondo does not.  Therefore he is not.
There are probably only two guys who could have gotten last year's Celtics to the Playoffs.

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
If this is true Rondo is gonna be traded for sure
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Confirmation bias.  People who think poorly of Rondo or want to trade him will be inclined to believe this rumor because it bolsters their case.

Max is always around the team, played for the Cs, and played with Ainge. If he's saying it, I would tend to believe him. Which begs the question, is the rumor so outlandish? This will be Rondos final huge contract so is it really such a stretch that he would ask for max money to provide financial security?

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

He's also a top 10 jersey seller. It's not all purely about impact on the court.

Which is why all the "Rondo's not signing an extension, therefore he's gone" posts are so detrimental to the IQ's of anyone who reads them, because its an incredibly dumb jump that ignores the realities of the new situation.

To be fair, the same is true for all the "I'm not worried about Rondo, he said he would like to stay a Celtic" nonsense. Of course he would say that, anything else would be unnecessary bad PR.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:22:35 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.