Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension  (Read 49355 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Taking this directly from the front page for some discussion:

Here's the transcription from Ben Rohrbach at WEEI:

"I think it basically gives you an indicator of what the Celtics want to do," Maxwell told Yahoo Sports Radio. "Rumor has it that Rondo has asked for a $100 million extension. You've got Smart, the young kid, and you've got Young, the other kid from Kentucky - both guards. And in the NBA system right now, the way they're being paid, you would pay both those guys probably about $4 million for one year instead of the $100 million right now that Rondo wanted to ask for.

"So, if you're Rondo, you might want to start calling that moving company and say, ?Eh, come get my stuff. I don't think I'm going to be here too long.'"

Thoughts? Does Rondo really believe he is worth $100 million?

Who is "Maxwell?" Is this Cedric? If so, I'm surprised he's stirring the pot. Sounds like a comment with an agenda.

Someone needs to check the math. If Rondo is asking for an extension on his current deal, that's 4 years tacked on to the final year of his current deal (where he's $13 mil).

Are those four years really going to pay him an additional $87 mil? I don't think so.

3 years at $44.8m is the maximum extension he can get right now.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

"I think it basically gives you an indicator of what the Celtics want to do," Maxwell told Yahoo Sports Radio. "Rumor has it that Rondo has asked for a $100 million extension. You've got Smart, the young kid, and you've got Young, the other kid from Kentucky - both guards. And in the NBA system right now, the way they're being paid, you would pay both those guys probably about $4 million for one year instead of the $100 million right now that Rondo wanted to ask for.

"So, if you're Rondo, you might want to start calling that moving company and say, ?Eh, come get my stuff. I don't think I'm going to be here too long.'"

Who is "Maxwell?" Is this Cedric? If so, I'm surprised he's stirring the pot. Sounds like a comment with an agenda.

Someone needs to check the math. If Rondo is asking for an extension on his current deal, that's 4 years tacked on to the final year of his current deal (where he's $13 mil).

Are those four years really going to pay him an additional $87 mil? I don't think so.

It's being reported by Cedric the Entertainer.

He's getting involved in basketball.

Hey, his sources can't be any worse than Broussard's or Blakely's.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

That's a far, far cry from "$100 million."
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

What about the super max that players like Durant signed? The absolute max he can get is around $15 a year for 3 years?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

What about the super max that players like Durant signed? The absolute max he can get is around $15 a year for 3 years?

Red's army has a good breakdown of the situation: http://redsarmy.com/2014/06/30/rumor-rajon-rondo-has-asked-for-100-million/

The max he can sign as an extension differs from what he can sign as a free agent. He can sign a 5 year, $104 million max contract next summer staying with the C's, compared to a max deal of 4 years, $85 million with other teams. Currently, without becoming a FA, he can only sign a three-year, $44.8 million extension.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:10:58 PM by zerophase »

Become Legendary.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

That's a far, far cry from "$100 million."

and that's what Rondo is worth imo. He is worth between 11-14 mil, not anything higher. 100 mil, how much is that spread? 4 years? 5 years? that is a lot of money that I am not willing to give him.

Also, Maxwell is not a source I would trust...I'll believe it when I see it. Love Rondo, but I think management is not too quick to evaluate him before the season even starts

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
So Maxwell says it so it must be true? Why wouldn't Rondo ask for it -- If they say no, you negotiate....
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Do you have a link or support for that? Thanks.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
I'll wait for something vastly... and I mean VASTLY more solid than a "Rumor has it" from Cedric Maxwell.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Its in the CBA.  ;)

http://www.nba.com/media/CBA101_9.12.pdf

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

http://www.nbpa.org/cba/2011

Part of the reason why all these guys are "becoming free agents" is because signing an extension before you hit the market is completely and utterly moronic under the new CBA, since you're severely handicapping yourself when it comes to the maximum amount of money you can make. Even and especially if you want to stay with your hometown team.

Which is why all the "Rondo's not signing an extension, therefore he's gone" posts are so detrimental to the IQ's of anyone who reads them, because its an incredibly dumb jump that ignores the realities of the new situation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Its in the CBA.  ;)

http://www.nba.com/media/CBA101_9.12.pdf

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

http://www.nbpa.org/cba/2011

Part of the reason why all these guys are "becoming free agents" is because signing an extension before you hit the market is completely and utterly moronic under the new CBA, since you're severely handicapping yourself when it comes to the maximum amount of money you can make. Even and especially if you want to stay with your hometown team.

Which is why all the "Rondo's not signing an extension, therefore he's gone" posts are so detrimental to the IQ's of anyone who reads them, because its an incredibly dumb jump that ignores the realities of the new situation.

TP. Agreed.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Way too much to pay a role player. He's going to make D-Will's contract look good.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Way too much to pay a role player. He's going to make D-Will's contract look good.

If Rondo is a role player, then Deron Williams is a bench warmer.