Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension  (Read 49226 times)

Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Taking this directly from the front page for some discussion:

Here's the transcription from Ben Rohrbach at WEEI:

"I think it basically gives you an indicator of what the Celtics want to do," Maxwell told Yahoo Sports Radio. "Rumor has it that Rondo has asked for a $100 million extension. You've got Smart, the young kid, and you've got Young, the other kid from Kentucky - both guards. And in the NBA system right now, the way they're being paid, you would pay both those guys probably about $4 million for one year instead of the $100 million right now that Rondo wanted to ask for.

"So, if you're Rondo, you might want to start calling that moving company and say, ?Eh, come get my stuff. I don't think I'm going to be here too long.'"

Thoughts? Does Rondo really believe he is worth $100 million?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Re: Rumor: Rondo wants max extension
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
If I where him I would get the most I can get out of the next contract as well. Considering his age, knee surgery, and never actually playing meaningful games without the big three, has should take advantage to get his pay day now.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
If I where him I would get the most I can get out of the next contract as well. Considering his age, knee surgery, and never actually playing meaningful games without the big three, has should take advantage to get his pay day now.

I agree every player has the right take try and make as much as possible, but there are so many great point guards in the league that I don't see a team paying Rondo $100 million.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If this is the case does it hurt his value if we trade him to another team? Knowing that he wants that type of money, or on a better team will he likely take what he can to contend.....

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Who cares if he thinks he's worth it, the question is if he thinks he can get it.  Or, if he can't, whether starting with that number will raise the amount he eventually gets.  I'd say the likely answer to both is yes.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Rondo is not anything close to a max player - you don't give max money to guys that are fringe top 10 at their position in the whole league....

Thanks for the memories and good luck moving forward...

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
Contract year rondo. He's gonna go ballistic this season. Should still try to pursue love, though incredibly unlikely
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Fair enough. Rondo is worth that if returns to pre-injury form.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
The report is based on the literal line of "rumor has it..."

Most rumors are based on things like that as well, but I wouldn't go carving it in stone.

Also, as FWF pointed out, it's not what he thinks he's worth, it's what he can actually get.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Contract year rondo. He's gonna go ballistic this season. Should still try to pursue love, though incredibly unlikely

This is exactly why we will not trade him until early January at the earliest.  It's going to be like playoff Rondo every game, and someone is going to bite the bullet and give Ainge the offer he's been looking for for years. 

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

"I think it basically gives you an indicator of what the Celtics want to do," Maxwell told Yahoo Sports Radio. "Rumor has it that Rondo has asked for a $100 million extension. You've got Smart, the young kid, and you've got Young, the other kid from Kentucky - both guards. And in the NBA system right now, the way they're being paid, you would pay both those guys probably about $4 million for one year instead of the $100 million right now that Rondo wanted to ask for.

"So, if you're Rondo, you might want to start calling that moving company and say, ?Eh, come get my stuff. I don't think I'm going to be here too long.'"

Who is "Maxwell?" Is this Cedric? If so, I'm surprised he's stirring the pot. Sounds like a comment with an agenda.

Someone needs to check the math. If Rondo is asking for an extension on his current deal, that's 4 years tacked on to the final year of his current deal (where he's $13 mil).

Are those four years really going to pay him an additional $87 mil? I don't think so.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

This is exactly why we will not trade him until early January at the earliest.  It's going to be like playoff Rondo every game, and someone is going to bite the bullet and give Ainge the offer he's been looking for for years.

Rondo has been my favorite player for a few years and I'd hate to see him wear another jersey, I think if I were Danny it'd probably what I'd be looking to do
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Good point.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown

Who is "Maxwell?" Is this Cedric? If so, I'm surprised he's stirring the pot. Sounds like a comment with an agenda.

Someone needs to check the math. If Rondo is asking for an extension on his current deal, that's 4 years tacked on to the final year of his current deal (where he's $13 mil).

Are those four years really going to pay him an additional $87 mil? I don't think so.

Yes, its Cedric Maxwell.