Author Topic: Draft Night Ben McLemore trade rumor  (Read 3101 times)

Draft Night Ben McLemore trade rumor
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I avoided twiiter during the draft, but caught Woj rumor the Celtics were considering trading the 6th pick for Ben McLemore.  is that correct?  Seems like we put a pretty low value on that pick if that is the case. I wonder if there was more to the trade proposal than that.

Re: Draft Night Ben McLemore trade rumor
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
there were a few post about that, but not sure if anyone confirmed it was true or not

so, what I saw was, 6th for #8 and Mclemore, and it was offered by the Kings which we shot down

Another rumor was King were pursing Smith to lure Rondo, or trading Rondo for their #8 and Mclemore...

glad that rumored died down

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Can't remember where I rad it this weekend, but someone had a story about teams already souring on their first round picks from last year.  Good opportunity maybe for Danny to buy low on one or more of these guys.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Can't remember where I rad it this weekend, but someone had a story about teams already souring on their first round picks from last year.  Good opportunity maybe for Danny to buy low on one or more of these guys.

Could be.  That said, last years draft was widely regarded as abysmal, so perhaps there's a reason teams have soured...

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
We dont need any more Guards. We need a Center badly.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
there were a few post about that, but not sure if anyone confirmed it was true or not

so, what I saw was, 6th for #8 and Mclemore, and it was offered by the Kings which we shot down

Another rumor was King were pursing Smith to lure Rondo, or trading Rondo for their #8 and Mclemore...

WOJ twitter (pretty reliable) just said Celtics discussing trading 6th pick for McLemore. Said nothing about getting the 8th pick.  Was this swap mentioned by another journalist?  Dramatic difference between the two proposals. Hard to imagine we would not have swapped 6 for 8 and gotten McLemore in the process.  Danny would not have turned that down, especially with Embiid and Gordon already gone at 6.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
except danny only liked 6 players in this draft.  and he might not have wanted mcclemore.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
We dont need any more Guards. We need a Center badly.
the celtics are a bad team. they need talent in any form they can get it. to fill a need with lesser talent and pass on greater talent leads to disaster.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

WOJ twitter (pretty reliable) just said Celtics discussing trading 6th pick for McLemore. Said nothing about getting the 8th pick.  Was this swap mentioned by another journalist?  Dramatic difference between the two proposals. Hard to imagine we would not have swapped 6 for 8 and gotten McLemore in the process.  Danny would not have turned that down, especially with Embiid and Gordon already gone at 6.

I searched for someone else who might have confirmed it. No one did. A lot of references to Woj's tweet and he's the gold standard, though not infallible.

I suspect that if a proposal was made that it was 6 for 8 + McLemore which makes more sense given that McLemore was 7th in a weak draft, had a bad rookie season, was mentioned in trade rumors midway through his rookie season, and SAC drafted a possible replacement in this year's draft. However, I have no evidence.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

There is no way the 6th pick was going to be traded for a guy who has shown nothing after a year in the league.  And even if the 8th pick were included, as I'm sure it had to have been, of course Danny could turn that down.  McLemore is no prize, and apparently Smart is a prize to Danny or else he would have taken Randall or Vonleh or someone else.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

There is no way the 6th pick was going to be traded for a guy who has shown nothing after a year in the league.  And even if the 8th pick were included, as I'm sure it had to have been, of course Danny could turn that down.  McLemore is no prize, and apparently Smart is a prize to Danny or else he would have taken Randall or Vonleh or someone else.

Strongly disagree with your bolded sentence. Give up the 6th pick for the 8th pick and McLemore?  Just don't see that being turned down.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Strongly disagree with your bolded sentence. Give up the 6th pick for the 8th pick and McLemore?  Just don't see that being turned down.
I do. Easily.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 03:08:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

That's the sort of deal that tends to be highly contingent on which players are still available at #6.  I stand by suspicion that if there was any merit to this rumor, that it probably was dependent on Gordon or Embiid being available at #6 (or Smart not being available).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference