Author Topic: Accelerate the rebuild - reasonable Rondo, Green, Wallace deal  (Read 2591 times)

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Deal 1: Rajon Rondo to Minnesota, Jeff Green and Gerald Wallace to New Orleans
Boston sends: Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green, Gerald Wallace
Boston receives: Gorgui Dieng, Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, JJ Barea, Ricky Rubio, 2015 MIN first, 2017 MIN first

Minnesota sends: Gorgui Dieng, Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, JJ Barea, Ricky Rubio, 2015 MIN first, 2017 MIN first
Minnesota receives: Rajon Rondo, Eric Gordon

New Orleans sends: Eric Gordon
New Orleans receives: Jeff Green, Gerald Wallace

We get a real pu-pu platter of players from Minnesota in this deal, but we do it for Dieng and the firsts, as well as offloading Wallace's salary. Barea and Rubio come off the books after this season, and Budinger the year after. Minnesota does this so they can roll out a starting lineup of Rondo-Gordon-Brewer-Love-Pekovic. That's a playoff contender, and that's what Saunders wants. New Orleans desperately needs a defensive SF who can shoot, and Green fits the bill. They roll out Holiday-Evans-Green-Davis-Asik. Another playoff contender.

Deal 2: Acquire Chandler Parsons
Boston sends: Jared Sullinger, TPE
Houston sends: Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lin

Parsons becomes our SF of the future, and we decide to roll with Olynyk going forward, although he could be subbed for Sully here; I don't have a strong preference. Either will fit well with Howard, spreading the floor a bit to allow him to operate and Harden to slash. This deal also gives Houston the cap room to pursue Lebron or Melo, hopefully sending out Beverley-Harden-Anthony-Sullinger-Howard.

When all is said and done, here are the 2014-15 Celtics:

PG: Smart/Lin/Rubio/Barea
SG: Martin/Bradley/Young
SF: Parsons/Budinger
PF: Olynyk/Bass
C: Dieng/Faverani

This might seem like a step back for this year. It is.

But it accomplishes a few very key things for us, and they are as follows.
1. We get rid of Gerald Wallace's deal. This is a big one. While we still have Martin and Budinger on the books for the same amount of time, they are both actually useful players that would be much more easily moved in a year or so. Martin has become very undervalued in my opinion. His defense is weak, but his offense makes up for it. He is still a very useful player to a contender, especially if surrounded by strong defensive players. For instance, he could be flipped for Brandan Wright (expiring) in Dallas. Think we could flip Wallace for expirings? No way.
2. We get young assets to fit with our core in Parsons and Dieng. Dieng showed real promise towards the end of the season, and could end up being a strong defensive center, the kind that we've been lacking. Parsons is an excellent #2 or #3 scorer, much more consistent than Green, and younger. From an asset standpoint, these two are the prize.
3. We allow Marcus Smart to develop. Smart is ready for the NBA, and we need to be ready to give him major minutes. If he's going to develop into an all-star, which I think he has the potential to do, he doesn't need to be spending his first season largely on the bench because Rondo is still in town. Rubio is never gonna be anything, so we don't give him minutes and just let his contract expire.
4. We get some more picks. That's always nice right?

A few years down the road, when salaries have come off the books, we're looking at a core of Marcus Smart (now 20), Chandler Parsons (25), Kelly Olynyk (23), Gorgui Dieng (24), and whoever from our 10 firsts over the next four years pans out, along with a good amount of cap space.

An added bonus: I think that team I just outlined would still be fun to watch. I don't know about you guys, but this last season was tough. I think watching Smart, Parsons, Olynyk, and Dieng develop is a lot more fun than seeing role players (Humph, Bass, Bayless) who have no part in our future winning just enough games for the sixth pick.

Let me know what y'all think, and be nice ;D

Re: Accelerate the rebuild - reasonable Rondo, Green, Wallace deal
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:17:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think any of that accelerates the rebuild... just to opposite.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:23:14 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Negative.

Don't want to do any business with Minnesota unless it involves Love coming to Boston.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
accelerate? how about slow down?

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:29:12 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Perhaps I'm missing something but someone explain how moving Rondo Green and Wallace for young high-upside pieces and picks is not accelerating a rebuild.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Perhaps I'm missing something but someone explain how moving Rondo Green and Wallace for young high-upside pieces and picks is not accelerating a rebuild.

By undervaluing our players/roster and overvaluing those "young high-upside pieces".

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:35:01 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen

By undervaluing our players/roster and overvaluing those "young high-upside pieces".

Eh, to each his own. These are fair deals in my opinion. Deals that Houston, Minny, and New Orleans would actually listen to, unlike most of the proposals on this site.

And as for Love to Boston, that ship has sailed.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Eh, to each his own. These are fair deals in my opinion. Deals that Houston, Minny, and New Orleans would actually listen to, unlike most of the proposals on this site.

And as for Love to Boston, that ship has sailed.

Not necessarily.

Remember, the KG deal didn't happen til July 31st of 2007.

And if Flip Saunders is actually stupid enough to keep Love, in the long run that probably helps us because we can just sign him as a free agent, next summer.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think Ainge is going to get value for Rondo in a trade at this point in time so the only reason I see for moving Rondo in that situation is if you want the Celtics to move into a fully blown rebuilding process like Philly. Bottom out. Lose 60 games a year for 2-3 years (maybe more). Pickup multiple top 5 draft choices in the process and rebuild the team around them.

But this does not accomplish that because of acquisitions like Chandler Parsons and G.Dieng as well useful depth throughout the team. That team is too good to lose 60 games a season. It can be a solid 30-38 win team.

(1) I can understand the value keeping Rondo and trying to retool quickly.
(2) I can understand the value dumping Rondo (+others) and bottoming out.
(3) But this in between zone of dumping most attractive asset on the team for squad depth and balance while refusing to bottom out - this I do not understand. Rules Celtics out of top draft picks and out of top FAs.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
And if Flip Saunders is actually stupid enough to keep Love, in the long run that probably helps us because we can just sign him as a free agent, next summer.

And if Danny Ainge is actually stupid enough to keep Rondo, in the long run that probably helps MIN because they can just sign him as a free agent, next summer.

Do you see the flaw in your logic?  You can't have it both ways.

I think this is a reasonable trade idea, but the last post by Who nails it--we need to either build a title contender right now or bottom out.  I'm very skeptical that we'll be able to get Love and other pieces this offseason, and we already have a big youth movement going on (with lots of picks on the way), so I think that bottoming out is a much more realistic plan.

How about leaving Dieng and one of the MIN picks out of the first deal?

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

And if Danny Ainge is actually stupid enough to keep Rondo, in the long run that probably helps MIN because they can just sign him as a free agent, next summer.

I think this is a reasonable trade idea, but the last post by Who nails it--we need to either build a title contender right now or bottom out.  I'm very skeptical that we'll be able to get Love and other pieces this offseason, and we already have a big youth movement going on (with lots of picks on the way), so I think that bottoming out is a much more realistic plan.

there is absolutely NO way Rondo goes to Minny even if he bounces. If he were to leave, I would say Detroit, SacTown, or even NO as a destination with upcoming players or to be with his buddy J Smoove.

However, back to the point, I do believe Rondo has value. If we are not tanking next season in which we are fighting for a playoff spot, there WILL BE NO EXCUSE from Rondo. You can argue, he came back 70%, 80%, whatever it is because of the ACL tear, but next season I fully expect him to be 100%, and playing like the old Rondo, getting triple dubs. Now, at that point, if you don't think we can compete, you can either trade him before trade deadline OR do a sign and trade.

I trust Ainge in making the right decision. We shouldn't rush trading Rondo out without at least knowing how he will play next season and alongside new backcourt mate Smart, or even see how a Rondo/Bradley/Smart rotation will look like.

Like the other thread title suggests, do not jump the gun.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I think Love and Rondo would much rather like to team up in Boston than in Minnesota.

You already have Kevin Love saying he wants out of Minnesota

Why on earth would he decide to resign in Minnesota in 2015?

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Yep . . .I think we need to wait things out a little more before making a move like this . ..

If we're really targeting summer 2015 as our year to have cap room for FA signings, then showing wins in 2014-15 is going to help make Boston more attractive to Rondo and pending FA's.

Rondo/Smart, Bradley/Young, Green/Wallace, Sully/Bass, KO/Fav/Iverson/FA TBD is a squad that can make a little noise in the East. I truly believe this team intentionally lost games last year and will not do so again this year.

We add a true center, a fully healthy Rondo, a ready for action Smart, added maturity in KO and Sully and vet stability in Wallace and Bass . . . and we'll be far better off than last year. I don't expect much from Young as a rook, but you never know. No doubt we have better players this season than last, and if we resign Avery at a reasonable price, I think we're in good shape.

Getting to the .500 mark or better will encourage FA's to consider Boston. It will encourage Rondo to see it through and deflect overtures from other teams. A full reset could be trouble.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8

I think Love and Rondo would much rather like to team up in Boston than in Minnesota.

I was probably a little too cute in my post, so that's my fault.  I'm not trying to say that Rondo and Love will actually end up in MIN together; I'm just saying that Ainge doesn't have a ton of leverage because we all know there's a very real possibility that Rondo leaves after this season.  People on here completely understand that Saunders doesn't have leverage, but many of the posters here treat Rondo's situation as if it's totally different.

We should accept that dealing Rondo means getting 75 cents on the dollar, which is okay with me.  As I said, I think we're set up much better for the full rebuild with youth, and I'm willing to be patient with that approach.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 10:44:50 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I was probably a little too cute in my post, so that's my fault.  I'm not trying to say that Rondo and Love will actually end up in MIN together; I'm just saying that Ainge doesn't have a ton of leverage because we all know there's a very real possibility that Rondo leaves after this season.  People on here completely understand that Saunders doesn't have leverage, but many of the posters here treat Rondo's situation as if it's totally different.

We should accept that dealing Rondo means getting 75 cents on the dollar, which is okay with me.  As I said, I think we're set up much better for the full rebuild with youth, and I'm willing to be patient with that approach.

I'll take my risk with keeping Rondo with a hope he will re-sign with us. I agree with the people above that said if we try to compete this year, and hopefully Smart, Sully or even KO develops even more, makes it easier to attract other FA or trade some of our places to compliment Rondo. I prefer this approach as you can test and try lineups and gut out the players that don't fit in. I just do not think trading Rondo so early before the season starts is a good idea.