Author Topic: Ed Davis - Celtics starting center?  (Read 3563 times)

Ed Davis - Celtics starting center?
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:36:12 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Ed Davis has very good numbers per 48 minutes and he is very similar size and athletically to Derrick Favors.  Sullinger/Olynyk can score well enough at PF if we can have Davis protecting the rim at Center.  What's the best way to go after him?

Sign him to MLE?

Or would there be a chance that Gerald Wallace for Tayshaun Prince and Davis would work?  We would have to throw in a pick to make it worth it to them and then turn around and sign Davis to an extension.  I think Wallace actually fits in with Memphis and could help hem at SF.  After extending Randolph, they won't have much room to work with salary cap wise anyway, so taking the extra year on Wallace won't hurt them too bad.  Plus they just don't have enough minutes behind Randolph/Gasoline to warrant paying Davis.

Read this on Davis:

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2014/3/5/5473276/Memphis-grizzlies-ed-davis-disappointing-season

Re: Ed Davis - Celtics starting center?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:37:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The police commissioner?

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I believe he is a restricted free agent so we would probably have to overpay for him or work on a trade with Memphis.

I'm not sure he's big enough to guard the true centers, but he is young and better than we have, so I'm on board with trying to acquire him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has protected the rim in the past ,  not so much last year with only .7 BPG.  With that play we might as well keep Kelly or Sully who block the same number per game.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
He has a 7 foot wingspan (same as James Young) but he is 6'9' without shoes and can jump out the gym. Id rather target Bismac Biyomu

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:59:53 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
sure.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:13 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
Really I think we could go for Biyombo and Davis.  Davis has a 9'0" standing reach, his wingspan is t as long as Favors because he was so skinny coming out of college.  He is just now 25 years old.

Just think if we had 48 minutes worth of Biyombo and Davis out there attacking the glass and blocking shots.  Sullinger and Olynyk could focus more on offense and both play their more natural position which is power forward.  We would be a much longer team if we got those guys instead of. Bass and Humphries. 

Davis might be the cheap way to get an athletic big that at least matches up obis ally to Favors, Drummond, Jordan.  I know he isn't near their level of player, let's just call him a poor mans Favors. 

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:57:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I suspect Memphis wants to keep Ed Davis and Kosta Koufos as a young tandem behind Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol who they see as potential future starters when the incumbents decline too much due to age.

If I were them, I'd be inclined to hold onto both players at least until I find out if Marc Gasol is still going to be a Grizzlie after his contract expires next summer.  It doesn't sound like he's going anywhere else, but I'd prefer to lock him up.  Even then, I would prefer not to move them without getting a significant player in return.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Could be but he's not the shotblocker we need.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I'm actually really high on Davis as rotational big. I think he could compliment Olynyk coming off the bench. If I'm not mistaken, I think he lost playing time down the stretch to Koufos and considering the Memphis is trying to create some cap space (for some reason I thought I read that), I think he could be had without over paying.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I liked Davis when he came into the league but he hasn't progressed as much as I anticipated.  i still see him as a PF rather than a center -- much like Monroe in Detroit.  I don't see him as the answer at Center

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Could be but he's not the shotblocker we need.
The % of opponents attempting to finish against him at the rim is actually very low, so while he might not be a huge shot blocker, he bothers shots in away that will provide rim defense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
We just dont have this kind of athleticism in our frontcourt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAOvsM1QB-Y

We can pay through the nose for Jordan, Drummond, Favors.

Or we can pay for tall and crazy: Javale McGee or Larry Sanders.

Or we can look at a Ed Davis and get him a little cheaper.  The Knicks would be crazy to not try and reunite him with Calderon. 

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 05:33:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Memphis will allow Davis to become an unrestricted free agent.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234035/Ed-Davis-To-Become-Unrestricted-Free-Agent
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Memphis will allow Davis to become an unrestricted free agent.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234035/Ed-Davis-To-Become-Unrestricted-Free-Agent
Memphis need a backup PF who can make a jump-shot. Ed Davis was not a good fit there after they acquired Kosta Koufos. Flaws too similar.

Smart decision by Memphis.