Poll

Pick your favorite trade

Green to Cleveland
Green to Detroit
Green to Washington
Green to Oklahoma City
Green to Portland
No trade

Author Topic: Landing spots for Green  (Read 6538 times)

Re: Landing spots for Green
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If Green's still in the league at age 60.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 12:08:14 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Is there a team out there that might absorb Green, Bass and Anthony for a 2nd rounder? To me that's the deal. Let's become players in free agency THIS offseason. Then if we miss out on key free agents, absorb expiring contracts for assets.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 12:27:06 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is there a team out there that might absorb Green, Bass and Anthony for a 2nd rounder? To me that's the deal. Let's become players in free agency THIS offseason. Then if we miss out on key free agents, absorb expiring contracts for assets.

No.  You'd probably have to give up two firsts to get teams to absorb that amount in contracts without taking anything back.

And if key free agents are gone, they'll have gone to the teams that were looking to move existing deals for assets to create space and there will be no one left to trade with.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 01:35:09 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I vote no trade.

Green is more bankable to the team then people gone him credit for,  and the small forward position is nowhere near as stacked with talent as people give it credit for.

You have maybe 3 or 4 elite small forwards in the NBA, and after that an argument can be made that green is a good as any of the others. 

Iggy? Deng? Hayward? Ariza?  Pierce? Leonard? 

You can realistically argue that neither one of those guys is on a clear a clear level above Green at this point in their careers.

Green's a good player.   An underrated player.   There aren't many SF's in the league who can shut down LeBron one nigh Defensively,  hit a clutch game winning three the next,  shut down Durant the next night,  then score 40 a couple of games later.   He may not do it every night,  but that's why he's getting paid $9m a year instead of $18m.  He's a good player and on a fair contact. If you replace him,  you'll unlikely get somebody better back... Unless we get Melo.

You can argue that Green is better than Hayward.  But I believe you would lose that argument.  I would LOVE to have Hayward.  He brings some of the same things to the table as Green plus heart and playmaking ability. He makes everyone else a little better.  A lot better if they move without the ball. He would be an awesome 3 for us.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 02:17:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Atlanta should be added to this list. They just dumped Williams and I'm assuming that's so they can fill their gaping hole at SF. They could also use some depth at PF and Center. Short term contracts of quality players would be right up their alley.

Green, Bass and Anthony

For

2nd round pick

Gives Atlanta a good starter at SF who could plug right in, Bass to replace Brand and Anthony as a 3rd string Center on an expiring contract.

Gives Boston the money to make a legit run at Melo or James.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 02:27:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Atlanta should be added to this list. They just dumped Williams and I'm assuming that's so they can fill their gaping hole at SF. They could also use some depth at PF and Center. Short term contracts of quality players would be right up their alley.

Green, Bass and Anthony

For

2nd round pick

Gives Atlanta a good starter at SF who could plug right in, Bass to replace Brand and Anthony as a 3rd string Center on an expiring contract.

You don't make that terrible trade unless you have agreement beforehand.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 02:28:40 AM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6

Green, Bass and Anthony

For

2nd round pick

Dear God No! Not LBJ!!
And the trade doesnt work for two main reasons:
1. We would need to take money back
2. IT DOESNT MAKE ANY FRIKIN SENSE FOR EITHER TEAM!
No way would Ainge give up two quality role players and a backup C just to dump salary for a second round pick and Atlanta would need a couple of firsts to even consider that deal...
But anyway salaries dont match so no!
And NOOOO to Lebron in Boston!

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 02:33:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I vote no trade.

Green is more bankable to the team then people gone him credit for,  and the small forward position is nowhere near as stacked with talent as people give it credit for.

You have maybe 3 or 4 elite small forwards in the NBA, and after that an argument can be made that green is a good as any of the others. 

Iggy? Deng? Hayward? Ariza?  Pierce? Leonard? 

You can realistically argue that neither one of those guys is on a clear a clear level above Green at this point in their careers.

Green's a good player.   An underrated player.   There aren't many SF's in the league who can shut down LeBron one nigh Defensively,  hit a clutch game winning three the next,  shut down Durant the next night,  then score 40 a couple of games later.   He may not do it every night,  but that's why he's getting paid $9m a year instead of $18m.  He's a good player and on a fair contact. If you replace him,  you'll unlikely get somebody better back... Unless we get Melo.

You can argue that Green is better than Hayward.  But I believe you would lose that argument.  I would LOVE to have Hayward.  He brings some of the same things to the table as Green plus heart and playmaking ability. He makes everyone else a little better.  A lot better if they move without the ball. He would be an awesome 3 for us.

Yes, and his "amazing" defense. Plus his production wasn't good last year to make up for his "amazing" defensive ability.

Pass on Hayward, he's bound to be severely overpaid and will be regretted quite rapidly.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 02:41:39 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Green, Bass and Anthony

For

2nd round pick

Dear God No! Not LBJ!!
No way would Ainge give up two quality role players and a backup C just to dump salary for a second round pick and Atlanta would need a couple of firsts to even consider that deal...

Atlanta has enough space under the cap that they would be able to absorb the salaries. Why would Boston be giving up anything more? This trade is a steal for them, for Boston it's about cap space and letting the kids play next season.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 02:44:26 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Green, Bass and Anthony

For

2nd round pick

You don't make that terrible trade unless you have agreement beforehand.

It's a good trade even if the Celtics strike out in free agency. At this point you take the risk to put over the top players with Rondo THIS offseason or you go the other direction. In this case, it would mean more playing time for our youngesters to develop and another high draft pick.

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 02:57:59 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Green, Bass and Anthony

For

2nd round pick

I suspect that Atlanta would only look at trading for Green if they whiffed on attempts to sign Deng, Hayward, Parsons, or Stephenson.  They might even try to sign Bradley before they make an offer for Green.  I'd guess they are trying to clear cap space to sign one of those guys plus a center, with an option to make a longshot run at Carmelo Anthony.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 07:45:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

These guys hate us, the chances of this happening are about as good as our government becoming functional which is zero.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If Green is moved this offseason I think it will be to a team that missed out of a FA signing. This is a very strong SF FA class but ultimetly someone will miss out and have a void to fill. I expect a team like the Mavs or ATL to come to the Cs looking for Green after they miss out of Melo, Parson, Hayward, Deng or Ariza. The same goes for the teams that could be potentially loosing these players but are still playoff teams EX Wiz, CAvs
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6

Green, Bass and Anthony

For

2nd round pick

Dear God No! Not LBJ!!

Atlanta has enough space under the cap that they would be able to absorb the salaries. Why would Boston be giving up anything more? This trade is a steal for them, for Boston it's about cap space and letting the kids play next season.
This trade is anything but a steal... First of all ATL want the cap space themselves to target Deng or possibly even a bigger FA... And the Celtics would never do this unless Melo swore hed sign in Boston and unfortunately there r no such guarantees...