Poll

Pick your favorite trade

Green to Cleveland
Green to Detroit
Green to Washington
Green to Oklahoma City
Green to Portland
No trade

Author Topic: Landing spots for Green  (Read 6518 times)

Re: Landing spots for Green
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 08:06:13 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
First I added an option for no trade because a couple of people mentioned that was their preference.

Second
Green and Anthony for MKG and Biyombo (Brendan Haywood for filler)

Is not a reasonable trade, yet. MKG would have to have another sub-par season to warrant being moved. He was the #2 overall pick and he's only 20 years old.

I'm not necessarily in favor of trading Green but if it becomes more clear that we're doing a full multi-year rebuild (ie. striking out in FA this season) the logic says trading your best scorer for future assets is a good move.

I personally think that we won't land enough talent to compete in the East this season (which is pretty miserable) and wouldn't be opposed to phoning in another season to get one of the top center prospects in 2015. The worst case for us is to let our veteran players (Green, Bass, Hump, Wallace, Anthony) deprive our young guys of playing time while racking up enough wins to put our pick in the late mid-to-late teens. I am against that.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
"I personally think that we won't land enough talent to compete in the East this season (which is pretty miserable) and wouldn't be opposed to phoning in another season to get one of the top center prospects in 2015. The worst case for us is to let our veteran players (Green, Bass, Hump, Wallace, Anthony) deprive our young guys of playing time while racking up enough wins to put our pick in the late mid-to-late teens. I am against that."

That's called pulling a Philly, and yeah, I agree with you.  The next dominant big man to play for the Celtics will likely come in the draft.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I'd rather wait for a desperate team to slightly overpay for Green than just dump him for expirings or if it takes on long-term salary. It does depend on whether the Celtics think he will opt out, however. If the alternative is losing him for nothing (because it's pretty clear the Celts are not going to bend backwards to re-sign him) then we might as well get something for him.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 09:08:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Does anyone buy that Jeff Green will be either, a) improve; b) be around when a championship run returns to Boston; or c) both? If not, trade him now for what (little) you can get.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Does anyone buy that Jeff Green will be either, a) improve; b) be around when a championship run returns to Boston; or c) both? If not, trade him now for what (little) you can get.

Agreed.

I think Jeff Green has shown enough inconsistency during his time here in Boston that I am absolutely shocked some fans still don't want to see him traded.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I do not want to trade Jeff Green.

His combination of (1) size and athleticism (2) defense (3) solid all-around offense is a valuable skill-set at the SF. His ability to matchup physically and athletically against the top small forwards in the league (LeBron, Durant, Melo, George) is hugely valuable.

Replacing Jeff Green with a SF who can do those things would be a difficult task.

What?!

I don't think it's going to be very difficult to replace Jeff Green

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Think keeping AB, Bass and Green is really ludicrous  .

Oh ..well maybe DA will land LeBron

And I might grow wings and fly.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Charlotte seems like they want to go for winning now with Al Jefferson.  I think Green and Anthony for MKG and Biyombo (Brendan Haywood for filler) gets that done.  We get a one year rental on Biyombo to see if he can be our backup center going forward and at the very least we save some money a year from now because MKG makes less than Green.
I have been thinking about Green and how he would fit well with CHA. I would want Noah and Biyambo. Maybe we can get something done if we send Bass as well or something else. Cody Zeller made the all rookie 2nd team last year and I thought he was better than what he played. Zeller actually has a 40 inch vertical, just small arms, but still a 9ft standing reach.

Who knows how they feel about Biyambo...he only played 13 min last year.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Some of those trade scenarios are interesting, but I don't see the point in forcing a trade of Green. He's a good player on a reasonable deal! $9M for what he offers is somewhat inexpensive. Luol Deng might be a reasonable replacement and he'll command $12-15M per year. Frankly, I'd rather have Green.

We've put in the time to get this kid healthy. Let's see what he can do with a healthy Rondo, a half way decent center and some other upgraded parts on the team.

People can't stand him bc he's an unselfish player. Well, unselfish players might not do a good Carmelo ball hog impression but they fit in great with an actual team.

Rondo, Avery/Smart, Green/Wallace/Young, Sully/KO and Fav/Iverson/FA Center is going to be better than 25 wins. Really depends if/who we sign at C, but I think we try to get wins next season and wind up in the 40's, around .500.

We have a lot of young pieces now, and don't need to get more just for the sake of getting more. Let's try to win games and rebuild at the same time. Rondo and Green should have strong seasons this year!

Disagree.

That lineup isn't going to get it done.

We need more talent

The East is awful, I would say 35 wins.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 09:47:04 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Do you think the Nets would trade us back PP for Green?  ;D

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I do not want to trade Jeff Green.

His combination of (1) size and athleticism (2) defense (3) solid all-around offense is a valuable skill-set at the SF. His ability to matchup physically and athletically against the top small forwards in the league (LeBron, Durant, Melo, George) is hugely valuable.

Replacing Jeff Green with a SF who can do those things would be a difficult task.

What?!

I don't think it's going to be very difficult to replace Jeff Green

I think you underestimate how hard it is to get a two way player like Jeff Green.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »

• Ray Allen
Remember when we thought Jeff Green would be an all star. He needs scorers around him. I think if we keep him this year there may be a chance he does better and we can trade him for more.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
1. Are people seriously worried about replacing Jeff Green? This shouldn't even be an issue. He is an average overall player who isn't a cornerstone of a team. The C's are rebuilding. If there's a deal out that can net the C's a pick or possibly a young player with upside, I would not hesitate making a deal. Most likely, Green is dealt at the trade deadline.

2. There is no way the C's win 25 games next year. They barely hit 25 this year (and they basically won half those games in the first 1.5-2 months of the season). This team will still be a bottom 5 record team in the NBA this year.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »

• Ray Allen
Do you think the Nets would trade us back PP for Green?  ;D
i know your joking but what about this. PP, 1st rounder, mason plumlee, 4 jeff green and others

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 10:58:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think B is possible.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference