Poll

Pick your favorite trade

Green to Cleveland
Green to Detroit
Green to Washington
Green to Oklahoma City
Green to Portland
No trade

Author Topic: Landing spots for Green  (Read 6539 times)

Landing spots for Green
« on: June 29, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I've been reading lately that the C's have a taker for Green if they decide to move him. I figured I'd throw out a few packages I can see being reasonable value for Green.

Trade 1:
C's trade Green, Bogans expiring and the LAC 2015 1st for Waiters and Varejao
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kka78hw

Why for the C's:
We get a legitimate center prospect that allows our PFs to play their natural position more often and a good prospect in Waiters. I know this would make our guard position a little heavy but you really can't even have too many young/cheap assets in a rebuild.

Why for the Cavs:
They move Waiters to make room to start Wiggins while also filling the starting SF position (Deng is on the move for sure). Bennett isn't ready to start yet and Green would be an excellent complementary piece for a team trying to compete now. They also shed about $4M in salary and pick up a late 1st round pick in the deal.

Trade 2:
C's trade Green for a S&T of Monroe at $40M/4years

I actually don't like this move but I think it's possible. I'm not sure I think Monroe is a good enough prospect defensively to play center for us. His agent, David Falk, reps Green and Sully so working with him on a S&T isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Why for the C's:
We get our first legitimate center prospect in...what seems like forever. We move laterally at best and get an excellent young player on a very manageable contract (for a center).

Why for the Pistons:
They get to move Smith to the 4 where he is most effective and have a front line rotation that makes sense on paper.

I personally hope this doesn't happen. I'm more enamored with the centers in the upcoming draft (Okafor, Towns, Lee) than Monroe, who might be a PF anyway.

Trade 3:
C's trade Green to the Wizards for Otto Porter

Otto Porter had an injury riddled rookie campaign and when he played he was pretty awful. He's still young but man for the hype he had coming out of Georgetown he has really spelled bust so far.

Why for the C's:
We get younger. Green is bad salary on a rebuilding team and we would be better off with a rookie contract than his.

Why for the Wiz:
They are looking at having to retain Ariza's services (yeah I'm baffled) and this trade would me him more expendable. Wizards are looking to compete now and Porter looked anything but ready last season.

Trade 4:
C's trade Green and Anthony to the Thunder for Perkins (expiring), Lame, and PJIII
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nlxbomd

Why for the C's:
We get out of Green's contract while getting back two young players. It's a no-brainer. We also get Perk back on the last year of deal.

Why for the Thunder:
They get a legitimate 3rd option for scoring. Green had success in OKC and if they can retain Jackson their lineup would be scary athletic.

This is actually tied for my favorite deal (Porter being the other). I'm thinking more and more that we'll be bad again next year and stock piling assets from teams that are trying to compete now seems like the best we can do.

Trade 5:
C's trade Green to the Trailblazers for Robinson and McCollum

Why for the C's:
This is a pattern I guess. We get young assets while trading a good scorer and defender to a playoff team.

Why for the Blazers:
To be honest, this is so their starters don't fall over dead. Portland needs to build a bench and Green will tear up any 2nd unit SF he plays against. He's pricey but Portland needs some guys to come in and play well while their starters rest. Green has experience doing that well.

Those are my top 5. I just now decided to add a poll so vote for your favorite!

Re: Landing spots for Green
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Any where, but Boston

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Only unload Green if we are going full-on youth movement. He was our leading scorer last year and a good defender. People want a scapegoat for last year's tank and instantly blame him, which is ridiculous.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:48:52 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
doubt hes going anywhere.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Charlotte seems like they want to go for winning now with Al Jefferson.  I think Green and Anthony for MKG and Biyombo (Brendan Haywood for filler) gets that done.  We get a one year rental on Biyombo to see if he can be our backup center going forward and at the very least we save some money a year from now because MKG makes less than Green.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:14:31 PM by jay »

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
For all of Green's warts it's going to be tough to upgrade the SF position given what could be available around the league.  We may need him to ideally be the 3rd option if we get Love, and if Smart lights the world on fire.  Something like Love averaging 25, Smart close to 20 (might be wishful thinking) Green his usual 16 or 17, Bradley and Rondo around 15.  Green can't be the 1st option, but maybe a 2nd option, and definitely a 3rd option on a strong playoff team IMO.

I think we might only trade Green if Rondo is traded, or if we are lucky to pull off a Melo trade.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I do not want to trade Jeff Green.

His combination of (1) size and athleticism (2) defense (3) solid all-around offense is a valuable skill-set at the SF. His ability to matchup physically and athletically against the top small forwards in the league (LeBron, Durant, Melo, George) is hugely valuable.

Replacing Jeff Green with a SF who can do those things would be a difficult task.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
WAS SnT Gortat + Singleton for Green + J.Anthony would be my preference.
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Why do you guys want to dump the team's best offensive player without a replacement for him at SF?

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 06:37:33 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I vote no trade.

Green is more bankable to the team then people gone him credit for,  and the small forward position is nowhere near as stacked with talent as people give it credit for.

You have maybe 3 or 4 elite small forwards in the NBA, and after that an argument can be made that green is a good as any of the others. 

Iggy? Deng? Hayward? Ariza?  Pierce? Leonard? 

You can realistically argue that neither one of those guys is on a clear a clear level above Green at this point in their careers.

Green's a good player.   An underrated player.   There aren't many SF's in the league who can shut down LeBron one nigh Defensively,  hit a clutch game winning three the next,  shut down Durant the next night,  then score 40 a couple of games later.   He may not do it every night,  but that's why he's getting paid $9m a year instead of $18m.  He's a good player and on a fair contact. If you replace him,  you'll unlikely get somebody better back... Unless we get Melo.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 07:07:23 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

His combination of (1) size and athleticism (2) defense (3) solid all-around offense is a valuable skill-set at the SF. His ability to matchup physically and athletically against the top small forwards in the league (LeBron, Durant, Melo, George) is hugely valuable.

Replacing Jeff Green with a SF who can do those things would be a difficult task.

And with Smart penciled in at the 2, Green's lack of ball-handling/pick & roll game will be much less of a problem. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 07:33:35 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Some of those trade scenarios are interesting, but I don't see the point in forcing a trade of Green. He's a good player on a reasonable deal! $9M for what he offers is somewhat inexpensive. Luol Deng might be a reasonable replacement and he'll command $12-15M per year. Frankly, I'd rather have Green.

We've put in the time to get this kid healthy. Let's see what he can do with a healthy Rondo, a half way decent center and some other upgraded parts on the team.

People can't stand him bc he's an unselfish player. Well, unselfish players might not do a good Carmelo ball hog impression but they fit in great with an actual team.

Rondo, Avery/Smart, Green/Wallace/Young, Sully/KO and Fav/Iverson/FA Center is going to be better than 25 wins. Really depends if/who we sign at C, but I think we try to get wins next season and wind up in the 40's, around .500.

We have a lot of young pieces now, and don't need to get more just for the sake of getting more. Let's try to win games and rebuild at the same time. Rondo and Green should have strong seasons this year!

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Love all options but if we go after Gortat or Monroe or any other C we would need an immediate replacement at SF to be in any playoff discussion...
For me it goes (with more pieces involved obviously-perhaps Joel Anthony,Bogans,A late pick, etc)
1. Green for Gortat
2. Green for MkG and Biyombo
3. Green for Varejao and Waiters
4. Green for Monroe
6. Green for Otto Porter
7. Green for Perk,Lamb,PJ3
But i like all options and wouldnt be disapointed woth none of the options
Worse comes to worse, we get any temporary C (okafor, udoh,etc) keep jeff green, try to win, and be competitive in the postseason to give our young guys some playoff experience for future runs at the championship...

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Some of those trade scenarios are interesting, but I don't see the point in forcing a trade of Green. He's a good player on a reasonable deal! $9M for what he offers is somewhat inexpensive. Luol Deng might be a reasonable replacement and he'll command $12-15M per year. Frankly, I'd rather have Green.

We've put in the time to get this kid healthy. Let's see what he can do with a healthy Rondo, a half way decent center and some other upgraded parts on the team.

People can't stand him bc he's an unselfish player. Well, unselfish players might not do a good Carmelo ball hog impression but they fit in great with an actual team.

Rondo, Avery/Smart, Green/Wallace/Young, Sully/KO and Fav/Iverson/FA Center is going to be better than 25 wins. Really depends if/who we sign at C, but I think we try to get wins next season and wind up in the 40's, around .500.

We have a lot of young pieces now, and don't need to get more just for the sake of getting more. Let's try to win games and rebuild at the same time. Rondo and Green should have strong seasons this year!

Disagree.

That lineup isn't going to get it done.

We need more talent

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

This.