Author Topic: Nerlens?  (Read 3334 times)

Nerlens?
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
Can we nab Nerlens from Philly? Would we want to? Would they trade him? What would it take to get him?

I'm not yet convinced they plan to play both him and Embiid together. Naturally, they have 4 - 6 months to figure that out. I think they grabbed Embiid because they didn't like the alternatives at 3. If he pans out, he may become untouchable soon enough, and this may be an opportunity to get him while still somewhat of an unknown (with some risk, but also cheaper).

Could Nerlens be the rim protector we so desperately need and would Philly trade him, and for what?

CB

Re: Nerlens?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I agree with you.  I would offer up to 2 future first round picks but with protections.  I liked him in college, and he is a local kid.  I would then see if we can sign Okafor so we are planning for the future and present.  Philly is all about aquiring future assets as they won't be good for at least a couple years, and they now have Embiid.  They can draft another big man with their own high lottery pick next year if they want as it's deep at that position.  Maybe draft someone that would complement Embiid better. They then add 2 more protected first round picks from our deal.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
he's the center i'd want. athletic, long, shot blocking. does his job well.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Would likely cost Sully/ko and the Brooklyn 2016 pick

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'd love to get Noel, but I can't imagine Philly trading him unless we blew them away with an offer

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think they trade any of their young centers until they get a chance to evaluate them in actual NBA games.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Would likely cost Sully/ko and the Brooklyn 2016 pick

for a young defensive center I would do it

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
It's a big risk

I would do either KO or Sully + 1st round to grab him...but I'll start by low balling Philly first :)

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
They're nowhere near competing and Embiid's nowhere near ready to step foot on an NBA court... they're in absolutely no rush to worry about Noel and Embiid not fitting together.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 01:54:36 PM »

Offline Londongreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Maybe, with summer league comming up, they wanna see him play against people from a "better" draft class and see how is in competion. He's value may rise and they may either keep or trade him while high.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
They are not going to want veterans in their current state, so that leaves us with young guys and draft picks. I'd give up pretty much anything for him. Big, skilled, elite defensive bigs are pretty rare. I'd do next year's pick, KO or Sully, and Avery Bradley and even something else. Trade Rondo and Green for younger assets/picks and do a proper rebuild.

Remember, Nerlens was a shoe in for #1 last year before he hurt his knee.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:45:02 PM by budMovin »
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Noel isn't going anywhere. 

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
he's the center i'd want. athletic, long, shot blocking. does his job well.

But he hasn't played a single game in the NBA yet.

I guess I kinda see the appeal but don't his injuries and lean body frame for a center scare anybody away?

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
I think it will be difficult to pry him from Philly, but he will be well worth the cost which will be steep. I just think there might be a small window of opportunity in the wake of drafting Embiid. Philly has other needs they could fill in, plus pick up a 1st or two in the process.

If neither Noel nor Embiid were injured and both were in this year's draft class, I say they would have gone 1 - 2, with Noel being the 1st pick.

Maybe we should be trying to trade for Embiid?

CB

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I could see the asking price being Sullinger or Olynyk and multiple firsts, including at least one of the Nets picks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference