Author Topic: Who do you think was on Stevens top 11 big board?  (Read 1859 times)

Who do you think was on Stevens top 11 big board?
« on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:44 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Brad Stevens has mentioned he had both Smart and Young in his top 11 big board.   I still can't decide how I feel about Young.  On one hand I remember an announcer saying he was the worst passer in the conference and he had underwhelming stats, and on the other hand I believe he is the 3rd youngest player in the draft with natural scoring instincts (and I'm partial to lefties).   

Well anyway here is my shot at BS top 11.

1) Embiid -I think we would have taken the risk.
2) Parker- I think Ainge saw him at least twice in person.  Exactly what we need is a potential go to scorer.
3) Wiggins
4) Gordon- I think it was tossup between him and Smart.
5) Smart- love the pick and he may end up just as good as anyone else with a safe floor.
6) Exum
7) Randle
8) Vonleh
9) McDermott
10) Stauskas
11) Young -Can't believe they had him rated this high!   

On the other hand I'm not that big on Lavine, Payton could be a sleeper but I wasn't blown away watching his videos, Payne might have a lower ceiling, Warren might be one of those great college scorers that struggles in the NBA (lack of outside shooting), and don't know much about Nurkic.  The one guy I would have considered above Young is Harris who was drafted after us, but with already drafting Smart it didn't make sense to take him. 

I left Saric out since I'm not sure we would have pulled the trigger knowing he is overseas for 2 years.

If BS is telling the truth about Young being in his top 11, then it's like we ended up with 2 lottery picks with the Nets not making the playoffs which we were rooting for all season.  lol 

What do you think was BS top 11? 

Re: Who do you think was on Stevens top 11 big board?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He liked hard nose guys who do the little things, move the ball, play team ball and play D at Butler.   That knocks some of these guys off the list.   

I think from his reaction that James Young and Marcus Smart were on that list.  I think Gordon was on that list.   Stevens likes stats so he is going to like what he can see instead of a guy like Exum who hid the last 10 months and didn't play.   He might be great or maybe there is a reason his handlers hid him because they thought playing would lower his stock.

Keep in mind, that Hayward was probably his favorite at Butler.   So he likes guys who can fill out a stat sheet.   Young and Smart do that.  Effort seems very important to him.  I think this makes Gordon a lock for the list.   I think he most likely follows the Atlantic Ten, Big Ten, Big East and Horizon league since he has roots there and probably contacts.  Whether guys were on that list is another question though.

I think Embiid, Parker and Wiggins were on everyone's list.   

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think Young was high on many peoples boards until he missed some workouts.  A few of the analysts and writers did have him in the lottery in some of the mocks.  The kid was in the green room after all.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:31:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I think Young was high on many peoples boards until he missed some workouts.  A few of the analysts and writers did have him in the lottery in some of the mocks.  The kid was in the green room after all.
a number of analysts were high on young's potential and physical skills, especially his scoring. but i believe there was concern over whether or not he would reach his ceiling. he is 18 and hard to predict. everyone knows he can score, but what else?

in this draft there were so many players who were both talented and safer picks that young fell. i was/am not convinced he was the best choice, but i will trust ainge and stevens.

but he may be gone after his rookie contract and before he can develop for the celtics. in any case, it will be fun to see if stevens can get the most out of this guy.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think that list is probably pretty close--would have been my top 10 anyway--except I wonder if they were really put off from Vonleh for some reason. I'd have had the likes of Anderson and Napier and probably a few others ahead of Young.