Author Topic: July 10-12  (Read 3380 times)

July 10-12
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
These dates now become the next big milestone on the C's off season.  I read recently on CB that Ainge can't use the $10m TPE generated in the Nets trade until July10, but the must use it by July 12. I hope I read that right because is seems like a narrow window. In any case, I suppose there is a change that Ainge doesn't use it especially now that Asik has been traded.

Re: July 10-12
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Marcin Gortat.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
These dates now become the next big milestone on the C's off season.  I read recently on CB that Ainge can't use the $10m TPE generated in the Nets trade until July10, but the must use it by July 12. I hope I read that right because is seems like a narrow window. In any case, I suppose there is a change that Ainge doesn't use it especially now that Asik has been traded.

This is true, but free agent contracts and trades, while they cannot be made official until July 10th, can be negotiated beginning July 1st.  So the window is a bit larger than 3 days.  Technically trades can be negotiated earlier than that -- I'm sure Houston has 2-3 teams it will call if they convince Carmelo to come to Houston to move Jeremy Lin's salary, with the terms of the trade largely agreed upon in advance, for example.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:17:48 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If they use it than I would guess either AB or Hump is not coming back. They may go over the cap, but sure is hell wont go into the luxury tax unless they can build a competitive team. Next 2 weeks will be telling that's for sure.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Marcin Gortat.

Is that possible?

Yes, if Wizards agree to sign and trade him and the price is right.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wait a second. He has only two days to use it in?

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Wait a second. He has only two days to use it in?

Yes, but a bit misleading. They can begin negotiations prior to that, and that TPE has certainly been in play in trade talks all along, but the usage has a very limited window.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:16 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Can we combine a TPE with a player in a trade?

I want to use these things as a tool to take advantage of Western Conference teams going after LeBron and Carmelo.

I know signs are pointing to LeBron staying in Miami, but if by July 5th it looks like Clippers have a chance at him- we should be talking Sullinger/Picks going over along with TPE from Pierce trade for DeAndre Jordan.  LeBron has to think real hard about joining a team that will have a real big 3 (3 of top 5 players in league)

On a less pipe dream note, can we combine Bogans with the Courtney Lee TPE for Lin and whatever assets we can get?  Capela, Nick Johnson. 

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Marcin Gortat.

Can't wait for Marcin to march-in.  8)

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
What if we could make a move for Horford? I thought I read somewhere Hawks were going to be in play for Melo. Now I know ATL won't be really high on Melos destinations but its a thought for them if they needed the cap room. I think Hawks played more wide open and can have more potential without Horford anyway. Not taking away from his skill level at all just the say Hawks play it seems the way Horford plays may be redundant
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 09:32:53 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I want a young athletic big since we are in rebuilding mode

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I bet it does not get used.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 10:04:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
What if we could make a move for Horford? I thought I read somewhere Hawks were going to be in play for Melo. Now I know ATL won't be really high on Melos destinations but its a thought for them if they needed the cap room. I think Hawks played more wide open and can have more potential without Horford anyway. Not taking away from his skill level at all just the say Hawks play it seems the way Horford plays may be redundant

I believe the point of Melo is teaming him with Horford and Millsap.  Additionally, with approximately $15 million in cap room, they would probably just like to dump Lou Williams' expiring contract to make room.  That said, Melo seems to be uninterested (he's looking at Houston, Dallas, Lakers, Chicago, and Knicks according to reports).

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Can we combine a TPE with a player in a trade?

I want to use these things as a tool to take advantage of Western Conference teams going after LeBron and Carmelo.

I know signs are pointing to LeBron staying in Miami, but if by July 5th it looks like Clippers have a chance at him- we should be talking Sullinger/Picks going over along with TPE from Pierce trade for DeAndre Jordan.  LeBron has to think real hard about joining a team that will have a real big 3 (3 of top 5 players in league)

On a less pipe dream note, can we combine Bogans with the Courtney Lee TPE for Lin and whatever assets we can get?  Capela, Nick Johnson.

For the about 1000th time on this board, you cannot combine the salary of a player and the TPE to take on a single salary which is larger than the TPE.   However, as mentioned at least a few times, Bogans+Johnson+Pressey+Babb (all non-guaranteed) can combine to fit Jordan's salary.