Author Topic: Rondo for Harden  (Read 4572 times)

Rondo for Harden
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:02:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
The Rockets are clearing cap room to sign a major free agent this summer.  Harden's game is ball-dominant and unique, and his lack of defensive effort rubs some the wrong way.  The top two free agents they're wanting to sign are Melo and Lebron. We all know Melo won't fit well with Harden, and I suspect that Lebron would be hesitant to play with Harden, too. If they can clear the cap room for one of them, why not try and appease them by switching Harden for Rondo, who have nearly identical contracts? Hear me out...

Harden is the better player for sure, but his playing style really hinders their chance of picking up either of the two aforementioned free agents. Melo already has a fondness of Rondo, and Lebron has mentioned a time or two about loving his style, as well.  Where both Harden and Rondo are ball-dominant, Rondo wants to pass where Harden wants to shoot. Rondo would instantly give Howard many more easy looks, and Melo and Lebron would both get much easier looks than they're accustomed to. Can you imagine a Rondo/Howard/Lebron threesome?

For us, it gives us a franchise player under contract for four more years to build around. Granted, it will probably cost a pick or two to attain him depending on whether Rondo would agree to sign there next year, which seems likely.  Also, by picking Smart we can try and help develop Harden's defense a little more by pairing him with the great defense of Smart and hiding him a little bit. A lineup of Smart, Harden, Green/Young, Sully, Olynyk would be decent next year, and that's not including any trades of Green, Bass, or Anthony or use of the TPE.  Finally, this team would be a prime landing spot for free agents next summer, sort of like how Houston was last summer.

Realistic or no?

Re: Rondo for Harden
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The Rockets are clearing cap room to sign a major free agent this summer.  Harden's game is ball-dominant and unique, and his lack of defensive effort rubs some the wrong way.  The top two free agents they're wanting to sign are Melo and Lebron. We all know Melo won't fit well with Harden, and I suspect that Lebron would be hesitant to play with Harden, too. If they can clear the cap room for one of them, why not try and appease them by switching Harden for Rondo, who have nearly identical contracts? Hear me out...

Harden is the better player for sure, but his playing style really hinders their chance of picking up either of the two aforementioned free agents. Melo already has a fondness of Rondo, and Lebron has mentioned a time or two about loving his style, as well.  Where both Harden and Rondo are ball-dominant, Rondo wants to pass where Harden wants to shoot. Rondo would instantly give Howard many more easy looks, and Melo and Lebron would both get much easier looks than they're accustomed to. Can you imagine a Rondo/Howard/Lebron threesome?

For us, it gives us a franchise player under contract for four more years to build around. Granted, it will probably cost a pick or two to attain him depending on whether Rondo would agree to sign there next year, which seems likely.  Also, by picking Smart we can try and help develop Harden's defense a little more by pairing him with the great defense of Smart and hiding him a little bit. A lineup of Smart, Harden, Green/Young, Sully, Olynyk would be decent next year, and that's not including any trades of Green, Bass, or Anthony or use of the TPE.  Finally, this team would be a prime landing spot for free agents next summer, sort of like how Houston was last summer.

Realistic or no?

That's exactly the main reason why the Rockets wouldn't trade us Harden.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72

Realistic or no?

Not exactly.  You wouldn't give up Harden to get Rondo and LBJ?  I'll even take Lin's contract using the TPE to make it happen.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
That's why I said it would probably require Rondo re-upping there, which is probable, and us sending a pick or two along with it, which I think is a fair price for what some people call a top five player in the league.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
But as DChuck said, they wouldn't think twice about giving up Harden if it meant getting a threesome of Rondo, Howard, and Lebron/Melo with all of its potential, as well as some draft pick compensation.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I wouldn't be opposed to it. It assure us of a star for the next four years when Rondo might walk after next season.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »

Offline celticsjs

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
There aren't many Rondo trade ideas I like, but this one I do and it makes some sense from the Rockets perspective.

Also, if you look at the 12/13 Rockets roster and see that they finished 45-37 with a roster that basically had Harden and Asik and not a whole lot else.  You'd have to think we'd be a playoff team right off and a good defensive big away from being a top 4 team in the East (assuming Smart is as good as we hope).

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Realistic or no?

Not exactly.  You wouldn't give up Harden to get Rondo and LBJ?  I'll even take Lin's contract using the TPE to make it happen.

There ARE many other ways that HOU can bring in LBJ/Melo, and giving up Harden just seems like a lesser to extent last option... DM was trained by the best, so I'm sure any of the avenues that he can possibly explore would be suitable rather than giving up their superstar.

But as DChuck said, they wouldn't think twice about giving up Harden if it meant getting a threesome of Rondo, Howard, and Lebron/Melo with all of its potential, as well as some draft pick compensation.

You should it do any given day, but I just don't think DM wants to let go of Harden that easily...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I'd be okay with this for the simple fact that Harden brings the certain star power that Boston has with Rondo to lure other players to sign here.

Next offseason, Marc Gasol would look pretty good on a team featuring Harden and Smart.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Harden and Howard are pretty much untouchables.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If Lebron/Melo choose Rondo over Harden then Houston of course pulls the trigger because they can also forcing C's to take Lin with TPE  thus resigning Parsons.

Rondo, Parsons, Lebron/Melo, Jones, Howard> Beverley/Lowery, Harden, Parsons, Jones, Howard

The C's would accept because Harden can easily be flipped to another team for big time rebuild pieces. I'd go to Cleveland and offer Harden for Wiggins, Jack and Thompson.

Smart, Young, Wiggins, Thompson, Sully is a bright future.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 03:17:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Honestly, I'd rather keep Harden rather than flipping him, because he's that instant offense that we've been sorely lacking lately. Plus, his presence would potentially net us some bigger offseason additions next year. Also, he's still pretty young and contracted for four more years, so there's that, too.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72

Realistic or no?

There ARE many other ways that HOU can bring in LBJ/Melo, and giving up Harden just seems like a lesser to extent last option... DM was trained by the best, so I'm sure any of the avenues that he can possibly explore would be suitable rather than giving up their superstar.

You should it do any given day, but I just don't think DM wants to let go of Harden that easily...

You have to think of fit as well.  Rondo setting the table for LBJ and Howard makes more sense. 

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Honestly, I'd rather keep Harden rather than flipping him, because he's that instant offense that we've been sorely lacking lately. Plus, his presence would potentially net us some bigger offseason additions next year. Also, he's still pretty young and contracted for four more years, so there's that, too.

I hear ya. There is definitely the option to keep him as well. Either way I think it proves if you are the C's it's a no brainer.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
When does free agency begin and end? :P
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk