Author Topic: Possible trading partners for Rondo?  (Read 6943 times)

Re: Possible trading partners for Rondo?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 11:48:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Depending on what happens with the Bledsoe situation in Phoenix, I wonder if dealing Rondo for Bledsoe might make some sense

Has crossed my mind but do you think they are better with Rondo apposed to just giving Bledsoe the type of many he's going to want? Also not sure if he would resign.

It's interesting.

I think Rondo would be a very good fit in Phoenix because they are an up-tempo team.

Bledsoe on the other hand, I think, would flourish and play really well for Brad Stevens with Sullinger, Marcus Smart, Olynyk, etc.

Likely, Bledsoe probably stays in Phoenix but I also know (or think) the GM of the Suns used to work for the Celts with Danny and perhaps wants to further reinvigorate the Suns fan base by landing a star like Rondo.

Food for thought I guess.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Make a list of teams you could envision rondo re-signing with. Then filter those teams by who would want to upgrade their PG to rondo.  Then filter those teams by who has expendable assets we'd want.

Short list.  Lakers for randle, maybe.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 11:51:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Make a list of teams you could envision rondo re-signing with. Then filter those teams by who would want to upgrade their PG to rondo.  Then filter those teams by who has expendable assets we'd want.

But if such a deal to either the Lakers or Kings were to happen, wouldn't it have happened last night?

That's why I am holding out hope that Ainge still either thinks or will continue to try to land an all-star before he chooses the nuclear option of dealing Rondo and totally rebuilding.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Why trade Rondo? I don't get it. People are over reacting. He has one year on his contract and we don't even know if Avery Bradley is coming back. We only have one real SG under contract and that is James Young. There is plenty of playing time for Rondo, Smart, Young and one other player. Smart is a combo guard with size. He can defend shooting guards. He can play with Rondo. Young can play with Rondo. The one who should be worried is Bradley.

Besides. Rondo was no where near 100% last year and has yet to prove to other teams that he is anywhere close to being back to his old self. The Celtics will not get any value for him until he can prove that he has regained at least some of his lateral quickness. Otherwise people will continue to blow right by him.

I don't want to trade him unless he goes to Danny and says "I'm out of here next year so trade me or I'm walking". I think this thread will if anything show people how unlikely it is we do NOT get read of Rondo.

@knuckleballer I thought he made it clear he would not sign to the Kings or did I make that up?

The Kings might take the risk.  Plus, they have also been in discussions to get Josh Smith who is friends with Rondo going back to high school.  They could possibly work out a three way trade.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 11:54:28 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4

But if such a deal to either the Lakers or Kings was to happen, wouldn't it have happened last night?

That's why I am holding out hope that Ainge still either thinks or will continue to try to land an all-star before he chooses the nuclear option of dealing Rondo and totally rebuilding.

If Smart/Gordon where both available at #6 and #7 I think we for sure would have done Rondo for #7 + Steve Nash last night.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 12:02:24 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

I disagree you just have to lower your expectations of what you want in return. If Indiana or a similar team would give 2 or 3 unprotected future picks I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'd be on the phone with teams like Indiana, Houston, Memphis and Dallas. Specifically the last two. They are gunning for relevancy now but in 2-3 years time they will both probably be in the lottery. Unprotected 2016-2018 picks sound like gold on those teams. Similar to what we did with pierce and KG in getting the nets picks.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 12:04:53 AM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I would want the Lakers to take Bass if Rondo was going there. Take back Nash, Sacre, and Randle, along with a future first.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 12:06:36 AM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4

I disagree you just have to lower your expectations of what you want in return. If Indiana or a similar team would give 2 or 3 unprotected future picks I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'd be on the phone with teams like Indiana, Houston, Memphis and Dallas. Specifically the last two. They are gunning for relevancy now but in 2-3 years time they will both probably be in the lottery. Unprotected 2016-2018 picks sound like gold on those teams. Similar to what we did with pierce and KG in getting the nets picks.

Don't see him signing With Memphis, possibly Dallas if they are successful in getting Melo. Would a team take a chance on renting him for a year?

@celticbos I think they would happily take Bass without a Rondo trade, that's if they land a major F/A.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Sacramento still makes sense.  I'd rather have Stauskas than McLemore.  Stauskas and picks plus contract filler.

I could get onboard with this.

Marcus Smart and Stauskas would be an interesting back court moving forward.  Lots of size with those two, leadership and swagger

Stauskas, Jason Thompson, next years 1st for Rondo would work.

Smart, Stauskas, Green, Sullinger and Thompson as the base this year would struggle but would be exciting.  At this point we'd trade Green and Bass too and Young could start.

This would leave us with a ton of cap space next year to sign at least 2 max guys in addition to another nice lotto pick.  Problem is which free agents would be interested to play on a team so young?

Definitely would prefer Randle though..  Everyone says we have a log jam at the power forward spot.  The way I see it none of our forwards are sure fire all stars.  Randle would be a big upgrade to Sully.  He and Smart have that killer F-you attitude which would be awesome in Boston.  I like the sound of this core

Smart, Bradley, James young, Randle, Olynk..  1-4 that is some top notch athleticism!!  We could trade Sully for a decent player in my estimation or he could be a sixth man
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:41:08 AM by Celticjay »

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 12:37:06 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I like what Sacramento has to offer in terms of young talent but I don't know how realistic it is since Rondo has no interest in re-signing.  Dallas seems like a possible match now with the recent Chandler trade.  I'm not sure if Rondo and Ellis could play well together offensively, but they definitely have a hole in their backcourt with Calderon gone and are looking to compete now so they might have some interest.  They don't have much to offer in the way of young talent (Ricky Ledo, anybody?), but a first rounder 4-5 years from now could potentially be a great asset if Dirk retires and they blow it up.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would still target Sacramento.

C's
Assets-
Stauskas
McLemore
Future 1st rd pick

Contract fillers-
Terry
Williams
Outlaw
Evans

Kings
Rondo
Wallace

We're able to dump Wallace's deal, which the likely price tag to do would be a 1st rd pick. We also add shooting, which we sorely lack. This would give us three good shooters, to varying degrees along the perimeter (Staukas, McLemore, and Young). This is giving us assets. We can always trade anyone if the fit doesn't work. This also allows for protection against Bradley being overpaid in free agency. Also protects against Rondo bolting or being overpaid by us this summer.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 07:55:45 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Could trade Smart in a package to bring back some veteran talent to go with Rondo.

But if we trade Rondo I'd like to get back a young center.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't see anything HOU, OKC or LAL have to offer that is worth considering parting with Rondo.

Not high on Randle and that is LAL's only good trade asset. OKC have little on their team outside of main three guys who they are highly unlikely to give up. HOU's best asset is Parsons who is a role player.

Indiana could be (somewhat) interesting. An offer based around Lance Stephenson and multiple draft picks. A perimeter trio of Marcus Smart (PG), Lance Stephenson (SG) and Jeff Green (SF). More of an equal opportunity offense like CBS seems to want vs PG centric around Rondo. Multiple ball-handlers and creators. Incredible size & power + defense & rebounding from backcourt positions.

I still probably wouldn't do that Indiana trade but I do like that mix of talent it would create. I think Rondo is important to attracting FAs and getting Boston back amongst title challengers in near future. I do not think a Smart-Lance combo has anywhere near as much of a draw for veteran FAs. So yeah, I wouldn't do it. A bit of pity, that Smart-Lance combo could have been really fun to watch.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 08:20:43 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Rondo, Sully and/or Olynyk and a future first for Drummond.  Pair Rondo with his boy Josh, Munroe at center, Sully at 4.  Rondo, Smoove and Munroe are a good young, athletic trio with Sully adding toughness.

We move forward with Smart, Young and Drummond. 

Let's face it.  We don't get a superstar in here this year, Rondo is gone!  And he is not worth a max deal anyway, which is what he wants.

The longer we wait, the less we get.  I like Rondo, but he has to go!

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 08:22:28 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Rondo, Sully and/or Olynyk and a future first for Drummond.  Pair Rondo with his boy Josh, Munroe at center, Sully at 4.  Rondo, Smoove and Munroe are a good young, athletic trio with Sully adding toughness.

We move forward with Smart, Young and Drummond. 

Let's face it.  We don't get a superstar in here this year, Rondo is gone!  And he is not worth a max deal anyway, which is what he wants.

The longer we wait, the less we get.  I like Rondo, but he has to go!

Drummond is untouchable.