Author Topic: What happened to the rumored Sacramento deal? Speculation welcome.  (Read 2097 times)

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Does anybody else wonder what happened to the Sac deal Woj tweeted about? Did we ever get confirmation that it was indeed pick 6 for McLemore/8th pick? That was always a little unclear.

My guess is that the guy Sac targeted must have been taken, meaning either Exum or Gordon. But then, that would also mean Danny was not in love with either, or not in love enough to not make a potential depth-building deal. Or, maybe Ainge was afraid the Lakers would take whomever he was targeting?

I would have been fine with taking Payton at 8 if Smart wasn't there (e.g. if he had gone to the Lakers), but maybe Ainge preferred Smart and thought LA was "into" him as well. PG has been a huge need for LA for awhile now, though they need players everywhere besides SG.

Of course it's also possible it was all a big smokescreen but Woj is usually pretty reliable with his info. What do you guys think happened?

Re: What happened to the rumored Sacramento deal? Speculation welcome.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
They tried to low ball us and Danny said no.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

The last rumor I heard was Mclemore and the 8th for the 6th, which is laughable.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
a rumor that gave most Celtics fan a heart attack - ie me...

I in no way wanted to trade with SacTown

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I kinda wish we traded them Rondo for the 8th and selected Vonleh. But I have a feeling (speculation) that they found out he did steroids between sr yr of hs and freshman yr college....and moved away from him and the pick.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I kinda wish we traded them Rondo for the 8th and selected Vonleh. But I have a feeling (speculation) that they found out he did steroids between sr yr of hs and freshman yr college....and moved away from him and the pick.

That way we would have had

Smart
James Young
Green
Sully
Noah Vonleh

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
 Danny already said he thought there was a big drop off after the 6th pick or at least their top 6 best players, so that's probably what stopped it. The only reason for the Celtics to do the deal would have been if they thought they could get smart or one of their other top 6 players at #8. That's assuming they where set on Smart if embiid wasn't available, which is the way it seemed.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
One scenario is that Sacto didn't want to pull the trigger on a Rondo deal until they also had a Josh Smith deal lined up.  And assuming that Sacto plans on keeping Rudy Gay, the Kings may not have had enough contracts available to deal to both the C's and the Pistons.  My guess is if this is the case this trade could go down later by using Isaiah Thomas in a s'n't, or possibly using a guy like Aaron Gray in a s'n't a la Keith Bogans from last years Nets deal.  And correct me if I'm wrong, but a s'n't trade can't be done until after July 1st.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Rondo's name was never mentioned. It was 6 for 8 + McLemore.  Not sure why it died, but doubt that it was because SAC had 2nd thoughts about trading McLemore since they picked Staukas for the same position.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I assumed that Danny wanted Smart or Gordon and would do the trade contingent on one of them falling to 8. When Gordon was selected at 4, the deal was dead because Smart would surely have been selected by Sac at #6. I guess the hope was that Orl or Utah would select Vonleh almost guaranteeing Gordon would be there for the Cs at 8, but alas, it was never meant to be.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Rondo's name was never mentioned. It was 6 for 8 + McLemore.  Not sure why it died, but doubt that it was because SAC had 2nd thoughts about trading McLemore since they picked Staukas for the same position.

Perhaps the player Sac wanted at 6 was gone, or perhaps the Celtics didn't want to risk missing out on Smart and had no one else they wanted at 8.  Or perhaps it wasn't really that close to happening.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I assumed that Danny wanted Smart or Gordon and would do the trade contingent on one of them falling to 8.

A different possibility is that Ainge wanted Smart or Gordon and a trade was contingent on those guys going 4 and 5 and being off the board when the Celtics pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I thought it was "McLemore for the 6th pick were discussed" in the tweet report.

I could see McLemore and 8th for 6th and 17th but not McLemore and 8th just for 6th.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
My speculation -- Sacramento made an offer. It was a bad deal. Ainge was never interested. Nothing was ever close to happening.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

The last rumor I heard was Mclemore and the 8th for the 6th, which is laughable.

Laughable? If you have a tier of 3 equally valued guys, why not move back, save some dollars, get the extra motivation from that guy going a few picks later and pick up an asset in Mclemore who might pan out. Honestly if they offered Stauskas and Mclemore for Smart today I'd consider it.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.