Author Topic: Report: Bosh, Wade to opt out of deals  (Read 8877 times)

Re: Report: Bosh, Wade to opt out of deals
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This assumes that New York won't match that, because after all, there's no more limit. If anything, the Bucks are in a worse slot because any big market team who wants their FA can offer exactly what they're offering. And on a year where many teams have cap space (like whenever LBJ enters free agency), if there's no max, then it'll look similar to how things currently are.

Maybe it should be a hybrid, where teams resigning their own players have no max, but teams luring other players are capped by a "max". That way, smaller market teams can keep their advantage and they can clearly outdo other bigger market teams. Of course, that doesn't protect teams from their stupid GMs who will sign Rashard Lewis to a 20m/yr contract  ;D

Anyway, more importantly (for me at least), taking out the max doesn't answer this whole "collusion"-esque thing that Miami is doing. Going back to my NBA player appraiser idea, what it really is proposing is something like a tiered-"minimum slalary" (instead of a maximum). For example, a guy like Lebron James (multiple time MVP, etc. etc.) won't be allowed to sign for less than the maximum (let's say, the max is pegged at 20M or something). At the time of his signing, Wade - who was all 1st NBA team, MVP candidate, etc. etc. - won't be able to sign for less than the maximum either. Meanwhile, a lesser star like Bosh (but who was still an all-star, etc. etc.) would have to sign for at least 16M, a tier below but still up there.

Getting rid of (or keeping) the max contract rule can still work in this type of structure, because nothing is stopping teams from signing LBJ to say, a 30M/yr contract. However, LBJ can't run off to his top-tier friends and create a superteam of his own because of the minimum salary.

I like this post a lot.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.