Author Topic: Report: Bosh, Wade to opt out of deals  (Read 8886 times)

Re: Report: Bosh, Wade to opt out of deals
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Let's go after Bosh. He's an available Center!

NO, NO, NO!  How could any Celtics fan stomach the thought of seeing a key member of our former adversary don the green and white?  He is the antithesis of a Celtic anyway - he plays for Pat Riley.

Re: Wade and Bosh opt out
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
http://t.co/UazTOX4XpB

Bosh might be seeking a deal elsewhere. I'll say it since I know it's gonna be said, Bosh in green?

NO, NO, NO!  See above haha  ;D

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

NO, NO, NO!  How could any Celtics fan stomach the thought of seeing a key member of our former adversary don the green and white?  He is the antithesis of a Celtic anyway - he plays for Pat Riley.

Bosh is a good player. I'd love to see him in green.

"Playing for the enemy" didn't stop Ray Allen from going to Miami.

Sports is a business. In my eyes, if someone is a good player, his former team or "locker room personality" is irrelevant.

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think there's a small chance he leaves the heat but if he does he's getting max money most likely. Do we want to give Bosh a max contract at this point?

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 10:30:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I think there's a small chance he leaves the heat but if he does he's getting max money most likely. Do we want to give Bosh a max contract at this point?

Lol

Why wouldn't we?

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Sports is a business. In my eyes, if someone is a good player, his former team or "locker room personality" is irrelevant.

Believe me, I both respect and understand your opinion, I just don't agree with it, haha  Plus, using Ray Allen's decision really isn't helping your case ;D  Did you like seeing Johnny Damon in pinstripes?

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Believe me, I both respect and understand your opinion, I just don't agree with it, haha  Plus, using Ray Allen's decision really isn't helping your case ;D  Did you like seeing Johnny Damon in pinstripes?

Happens.

Nowadays guys switch teams like they change their socks.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2014, 10:44:49 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4

Lol

Why wouldn't we?

Maybe it's because I never really watched him play for Toronto but I can't imagine him being the first option. But I'm starting to like the idea now that I think about it. Who would be the "big 3"  Rondo + Bosh + ?

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Lol

Why wouldn't we?

Maybe it's because I never really watched him play for Toronto but I can't imagine him being the first option. But I'm starting to like the idea now that I think about it. Who would be the "big 3"  Rondo + Bosh + ?

Even if Bosh wanted to sign here, Celtics would need a sign and trade to land Bosh.

Miami would not do a sign and trade because cannot take back salary from a Chris Bosh sign and trade. They would need to keep cap space to sign max contract replacement for Bosh.

Not possible.

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Lol

Why wouldn't we?

Rondo, Bosh and Monroe would be pretty sweet!

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Lol

Why wouldn't we?

Even if Bosh wanted to sign here, Celtics would need a sign and trade to land Bosh.

Miami would not do a sign and trade because cannot take back salary from a Chris Bosh sign and trade. They would need to keep cap space to sign max contract replacement for Bosh.

Not possible.

Not really, I think the opportunity still remains to sign a max free-agent. It'll depend on what we do with the trade exception, then finding a taker for Bass (someone like Charlotte might be game for it) and we'll have the space for it. If needed be, we can waive Wallace and use the stretch provision if it came to that.

Also, if the target is a SF, I don't think it would be difficult to find someone to swallow Green's contract if needed be.

X factor would be Avery Bradley.

So, if the opportunity presents itself, I think we have a puncher's chance to get creative.

That said, ZERO interest on Bosh.

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Lol

Why wouldn't we?

Not possible.

Not really, I think the opportunity still remains to sign a max free-agent. It'll depend on what we do with the trade exception, then finding a taker for Bass (someone like Charlotte might be game for it) and we'll have the space for it. If needed be, we can waive Wallace and use the stretch provision if it came to that.

Also, if the target is a SF, I don't think it would be difficult to find someone to swallow Green's contract if needed be.

So, if the opportunity presents itself, I think we have a puncher's chance to get creative.

Wow, did not know that. That's great.

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Lol

Why wouldn't we?

Not possible.

Wow, did not know that. That's great.

I still need to see what our rookies will take from the cap, but I think there's opportunity to get creative, and our big salary guys are on short deals, and still bring value to a team trying to make a push as contenders that they'll willingly take them on if needed be. But creative and someone else to help out is a bit key, but I think it's achievable under the right circumstances.

And this also depends if the salary cap jumps as much as it's projected.

So I think we have a few hidden cards to play if needed be, but it'll be work to accomplish it.

I wonder if the stories surrounding Celtics already having takers for Green's contract projects into a scenario like this one.

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
this is why the max salary needs to be raised, would they really take ~$17 million each if the max was $30 million?

I think an interesting idea is eliminating the max contract altogether. If someone wants to give LeBon $30M-$40M let them, and let them fill out their roster with MLE types. You'd get more competition for titles because you'd be pitting teams like that against teams with no super-duper stars but 3-4 very good players. In effect, the 2012 Celts vs the 2009 Cavs or similar matchups.

I don't think that would really change anything, they are taking pay cuts not asking for more money. Lebron would still be taking the same amount of money to play on a good team. Winning a championship probably results in $15M-$25M+ extra in apparel sales and endorsements for Lebron and also a lot of times pre-existing sponsorship deals have a bonus that kicks in if you win the finals.

They're taking small pay cuts. If there wasn't a max salary they never would have joined up in the first place. It's one thing for LeBron to give up 1M or so a year to help the team, it's another thing if he's giving up 15M+. I mean if they really wanted to help the team they'd all sign for the vet min, since none of them really need the money. But they won't. None of them do.

It's an interesting idea, but I think the max contract was put in place to protect teams from stupid GM's. Plus, the max is in place to encourage superstars to stay with their original team (the home team can offer the most). If there's no limit, then small market teams would suffer. The flaw in this whole thing is that superstars are signing contracts clearly below their market value.

What if...and this is just another crazy idea...there's an "NBA player appraiser" who would determine what range of salary a player can sign for.

I see your logic but I disagree that removing player maximums puts small market teams at a disadvantage.  In fact, if anything I would say it's better for small market teams than the current system.  If we didn't have a maximum salary, teams could only afford to pay market value to one star (perhaps two but with no supporting cast) and stay under the salary cap.  That just means more stars to go around for small market teams.  And having a maximum salary also puts more emphasis on the market you're going to.  If you can only get a certain amount, and you're offered it by New York and Milwaukee, you're going to pick New York every time because it's more fun and there are more endorsement opportunities.  Having no maximum at least gives Milwaukee a chance to compensate for being a smaller market by offering a higher salary. It's true that small market teams would no longer have the advantage of being able to offer the most money to their own free agents, but they'd also have a better chance of replacing free agents who leave.  We'll never totally eliminate the advantage that big market teams have, but I think eliminating the max contract would help a lot.

I see your point and yes, you will pick NY almost every time because of those reasons you mentioned, but to highlight something you mentioned:

Having no maximum at least gives Milwaukee a chance to compensate for being a smaller market by offering a higher salary.

This assumes that New York won't match that, because after all, there's no more limit. If anything, the Bucks are in a worse slot because any big market team who wants their FA can offer exactly what they're offering. And on a year where many teams have cap space (like whenever LBJ enters free agency), if there's no max, then it'll look similar to how things currently are.

Maybe it should be a hybrid, where teams resigning their own players have no max, but teams luring other players are capped by a "max". That way, smaller market teams can keep their advantage and they can clearly outdo other bigger market teams. Of course, that doesn't protect teams from their stupid GMs who will sign Rashard Lewis to a 20m/yr contract  ;D

Anyway, more importantly (for me at least), taking out the max doesn't answer this whole "collusion"-esque thing that Miami is doing. Going back to my NBA player appraiser idea, what it really is proposing is something like a tiered-"minimum slalary" (instead of a maximum). For example, a guy like Lebron James (multiple time MVP, etc. etc.) won't be allowed to sign for less than the maximum (let's say, the max is pegged at 20M or something). At the time of his signing, Wade - who was all 1st NBA team, MVP candidate, etc. etc. - won't be able to sign for less than the maximum either. Meanwhile, a lesser star like Bosh (but who was still an all-star, etc. etc.) would have to sign for at least 16M, a tier below but still up there.

Getting rid of (or keeping) the max contract rule can still work in this type of structure, because nothing is stopping teams from signing LBJ to say, a 30M/yr contract. However, LBJ can't run off to his top-tier friends and create a superteam of his own because of the minimum salary.

- LilRip

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2014, 06:00:34 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
Now it's official.  Bosh has opted out, the last domino to fall.

MIAMI (AP) -- Chris Bosh told the Miami Heat on Sunday that he is opting out of the last two years of his contract, and will join LeBron James and Dwyane Wade as free agents starting at midnight Tuesday.

Bosh's agent, Henry Thomas, said he told Heat President Pat Riley of the decision Sunday afternoon.

Bosh had until Monday to make his decision and choose to forgo $42.7 million over the next two seasons. He has said many times in recent weeks that he wants to stay in Miami, and it now is clear that he's willing to stretch his money over a longer period of time in order to make that happen.

Riley confirmed the decision in a statement:

"Today we were notified of Chris' intentions to opt-out of his contract. Chris is one of the most versatile and dynamic big men in this league, and he has been an instrumental key to our championship success over the last four seasons. We look forward to meeting with Chris and his agent in the coming days to discuss keeping him in Miami for many years to come."

We all knew it was coming.  I think they all stay in Miami, take less money (except LBJ?) and continue their dominance in the weak Eastern Conference.  They still have that alluring power to draw quality free agent veterans for less money.

We need another elite team to rise in the East, or for whoever represents the West in the finals to truly be a great team.  I'm not banking the Pacers, they're weak.  Maybe Rose finally gets healthy (<10% chance?) and Chicago picks up Melo.  Out West, the Thunder, as constructed, cannot beat the Heat in a 7 game series.  Neither could the Clippers.  It's up to San Antonio next year if it comes down to it.

It's not looking good.