Author Topic: Report: Bosh, Wade to opt out of deals  (Read 8889 times)

Re: Report: Bosh, Wade to opt out of deals
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Bosh is going to Toronto and Lowry is going to Miami if the internet is to believed, which let's be honest, it isn't

Yeah I've read that as well.

Take it with a grain of salt.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 09:06:11 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
this is why the max salary needs to be raised, would they really take ~$17 million each if the max was $30 million?

I think an interesting idea is eliminating the max contract altogether. If someone wants to give LeBon $30M-$40M let them, and let them fill out their roster with MLE types. You'd get more competition for titles because you'd be pitting teams like that against teams with no super-duper stars but 3-4 very good players. In effect, the 2012 Celts vs the 2009 Cavs or similar matchups.

I don't think that would really change anything, they are taking pay cuts not asking for more money. Lebron would still be taking the same amount of money to play on a good team. Winning a championship probably results in $15M-$25M+ extra in apparel sales and endorsements for Lebron and also a lot of times pre-existing sponsorship deals have a bonus that kicks in if you win the finals.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 09:22:43 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
this is why the max salary needs to be raised, would they really take ~$17 million each if the max was $30 million?

I think an interesting idea is eliminating the max contract altogether. If someone wants to give LeBon $30M-$40M let them, and let them fill out their roster with MLE types. You'd get more competition for titles because you'd be pitting teams like that against teams with no super-duper stars but 3-4 very good players. In effect, the 2012 Celts vs the 2009 Cavs or similar matchups.

I don't think that would really change anything, they are taking pay cuts not asking for more money. Lebron would still be taking the same amount of money to play on a good team. Winning a championship probably results in $15M-$25M+ extra in apparel sales and endorsements for Lebron and also a lot of times pre-existing sponsorship deals have a bonus that kicks in if you win the finals.

The rumors have been that Wade would actually take a little more money than he's owed -- just spread out over more years to act as a lower cap hit.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
https://twitter.com/RicBucher

Just posted an apology for reporting on the assumed Bosh to Toronto sign and trade, that turned out to be an lie (who would have guessed that someone reporting on a basketball related rumor turns out just to be pulling stuff out of his butt for attention?)

Any journalistic sports report with the mention of a "source" has basicly become a walking joke but is the joke on us? or on the journalists?
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Yeah the rumors are that Wade will sign his last deal with the Heat to retire with them. He will take less money for more years.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They're taking small pay cuts. If there wasn't a max salary they never would have joined up in the first place. It's one thing for LeBron to give up 1M or so a year to help the team, it's another thing if he's giving up 15M+. I mean if they really wanted to help the team they'd all sign for the vet min, since none of them really need the money. But they won't. None of them do.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 05:41:05 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
even they option out
where can you find ray allen mike miller shane battier type of players?
mario chalmers who can hit 3's?

heat will not win anything, i have faith in brooklyn nets, a healthy lopez

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 06:34:08 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

They're taking small pay cuts. If there wasn't a max salary they never would have joined up in the first place. It's one thing for LeBron to give up 1M or so a year to help the team, it's another thing if he's giving up 15M+. I mean if they really wanted to help the team they'd all sign for the vet min, since none of them really need the money. But they won't. None of them do.

It's an interesting idea, but I think the max contract was put in place to protect teams from stupid GM's. Plus, the max is in place to encourage superstars to stay with their original team (the home team can offer the most). If there's no limit, then small market teams would suffer. The flaw in this whole thing is that superstars are signing contracts clearly below their market value.

What if...and this is just another crazy idea...there's an "NBA player appraiser" who would determine what range of salary a player can sign for.

- LilRip

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 07:03:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Bosh is going to Toronto and Lowry is going to Miami if the internet is to believed, which let's be honest, it isn't

Yeah I've read that as well.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Well, not exactly...

Ric Bucher @RicBucher  ?  11h
My deepest and sincere apologies. My report on Lowry and a S&T between the Raptors-Heat is wrong. I should've known better. I could not...

...be more embarrassed. I can't explain why someone would go the lengths "my source" did to set me up, but that's irrelevant. I allowed...

my zeal to break a story take too much for granted. I'd like to think I'm better than that. Yesterday and today I was not.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Wow, it sound like they are taking pay cuts along with Lebron to sign more talent.  I don't think it makes financial sense for them, but Lebron must have talked them into it.  That kind of sucks.  I don't want to see the Heat get better.

I don't think they're going to take less, I think Bosh and Wade are trying to get their last large deals while they can. A lot can happen in a year, better to get it now.

Wade isn't worth his current contract.

Per 36 minutes last season:

21 PPG
5.1 APG
4.9 RPG
1.6 SPG
0.6 BPG
55% FG (career high)
73% FT

When you're nearly 30, and you just came off an injury, and you're sharing the ball with Lebron James, Chris Bosh and Ray Allen...and you STILL put up those types of numbers?  Hard to argue he didn't earn his pay.

The fact that he shot 55% from the field - as a guard - just shows how easilly and effortlessly he put up those 19 points (in 32 mintutes) each night.  Put Wade on playoff team where he is the #1 option and he'll be putting up 22-25 a night. 

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
bosh lebron wade allen birdman cole (new pg) with these sure guys to stay will not win 3 or 4 rings , never, add center or not

lebron will be forced to carry it all

any pf's can outrebound bosh at PF or even at C spot

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 08:31:38 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Wow, it sound like they are taking pay cuts along with Lebron to sign more talent.  I don't think it makes financial sense for them, but Lebron must have talked them into it.  That kind of sucks.  I don't want to see the Heat get better.

I don't think they're going to take less, I think Bosh and Wade are trying to get their last large deals while they can. A lot can happen in a year, better to get it now.

Wade isn't worth his current contract.

Per 36 minutes last season:

21 PPG
5.1 APG
4.9 RPG
1.6 SPG
0.6 BPG
55% FG (career high)
73% FT

When you're nearly 30, and you just came off an injury, and you're sharing the ball with Lebron James, Chris Bosh and Ray Allen...and you STILL put up those types of numbers?  Hard to argue he didn't earn his pay.

The fact that he shot 55% from the field - as a guard - just shows how easilly and effortlessly he put up those 19 points (in 32 mintutes) each night.  Put Wade on playoff team where he is the #1 option and he'll be putting up 22-25 a night.

He played 54 games last year in the regular season and was cooked by the end of the playoffs. Do you honestly believe any team would offer him $20 million per year if he was a free agent?

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

It's an interesting idea, but I think the max contract was put in place to protect teams from stupid GM's. Plus, the max is in place to encourage superstars to stay with their original team (the home team can offer the most). If there's no limit, then small market teams would suffer. The flaw in this whole thing is that superstars are signing contracts clearly below their market value.

What if...and this is just another crazy idea...there's an "NBA player appraiser" who would determine what range of salary a player can sign for.

I see your logic but I disagree that removing player maximums puts small market teams at a disadvantage.  In fact, if anything I would say it's better for small market teams than the current system.  If we didn't have a maximum salary, teams could only afford to pay market value to one star (perhaps two but with no supporting cast) and stay under the salary cap.  That just means more stars to go around for small market teams.  And having a maximum salary also puts more emphasis on the market you're going to.  If you can only get a certain amount, and you're offered it by New York and Milwaukee, you're going to pick New York every time because it's more fun and there are more endorsement opportunities.  Having no maximum at least gives Milwaukee a chance to compensate for being a smaller market by offering a higher salary. It's true that small market teams would no longer have the advantage of being able to offer the most money to their own free agents, but they'd also have a better chance of replacing free agents who leave.  We'll never totally eliminate the advantage that big market teams have, but I think eliminating the max contract would help a lot.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 11:14:51 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Haslem just opted out, too. That leaves the current Miami Heat payroll at:

Norris Cole $2,038,206
Shabazz Napier $958,100
Justin Hamilton $816,482 (but this is fully non-guaranteed)

Once the free agency period opens, and assuming the NBA raises the soft cap to at least $63M like rumored, Miami has essentially $60M to spend this summer before they even have to worry about using exceptions such as Bird Rights, the MLE, etc. Barring something incredibly amazing, it's very realistic the Big 3 will stay together, and if everyone involved is willing to accept a "measly" $15M/yr contract, we actually might be looking at a Big 4 feat. Napier.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's an unfair competitive advantage for teams with top players because their value is well above what they get paid. It's probably put in place to insure that the top players are on the best teams and many of the casual fans are more into just following a few teams with a lot of stars on them.