Larry Sanders trade
Derrick Favors trade
Enes Kanter trade
Timofey Mozgov trade
Kosta Koufos trade
Sign Cole Aldrich
Sign Ekpe Udoh
Nerlens Noel Trade

Author Topic: How Boston Celtics can fix the Center position now that Draft is over  (Read 20110 times)

Re: How Boston Celtics can fix the Center position now that Draft is over
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Myles Turner from THE University of Texas
DKC Suns

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
"Vonleh is a wild card.  I could see him becoming a 21/12 guy while also averaging 2 blocks a night.  He's just too versatile offensively (and too gifted physically) to bust.  It's once a generation that you find a 7 footer who can score in the post, hit the three consistently, block 2 shots a game, and lead the college class in rebounding...while having freakish physical attributes.  I think he'll become a bonafide all star."

When did he grow 3 inches?  Not close to being a 7 footer.  Look at pic standing next to Embiid, a true 7 footer.

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2014, 10:11:58 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
"Vonleh is a wild card.  I could see him becoming a 21/12 guy while also averaging 2 blocks a night.  He's just too versatile offensively (and too gifted physically) to bust.  It's once a generation that you find a 7 footer who can score in the post, hit the three consistently, block 2 shots a game, and lead the college class in rebounding...while having freakish physical attributes.  I think he'll become a bonafide all star."

When did he grow 3 inches?  Not close to being a 7 footer.  Look at pic standing next to Embiid, a true 7 footer.

Sorry, just meant to say a big man - no idea why I wrote 7 footer LOL

A tthe same time he's 6'10" so he'd only need to grow two inches, not three!

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2014, 10:28:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

C - Rim protection
I really like our overall lineup right now, but the one thing I think we're really lacking is a rim protector to put alongside Sully/Olynyk. 

The traditional way of adding a rim protector is to look for a big center, which makes perfect sense given that optimally you don't want either Sully nor Olynyk playing center.  But I ran some numbers to work out who are the best 'rim protection' in the NBA by checking which players allowed the lowest FG% at the rim. 

To ensure there are no bogus numbers coming from small sample sizes, I filtered players using the following criteria:

1) At least 40 games played and 20 MPG (eliminate the small sample of guys who didn't play much)

2) Players who had at least 3 Opponent FG's attempted at the rim per game (eliminate the guards and swingmen who's figures are skewed by small sample size)

The end results for the top 20 rim protectors were as follows:

1- Roy Hibbert - 41.4%
2 - Robin Lopez - 42.5%
3 - Giannis Antetokounmpo - 43.5%
4 - Serge Ibaka - 43.9%
5 - Tiago Splitter - 44.1%
6 - Andrew Bogus - 45%
7 - Taj Gibson - 45.7%
8 - John Henson - 46.3%
9 - Joakim Noah - 46.8%
10 - Timofey Mosgov - 46.9%
11 - David West - 47%
12 - Josh Smith - 47.1%
13 - Kevin Garnett - 47.4%
14 - Tim Duncan - 47.6%
15 - Omer Asik - 47.7%
16 - Dwight Howard - 47.8%
17 - Amir Johnson - 47.9%
18 - Jermaine Oneal - 47.9%
19 - Paul Pierce - 48.2%
20 - Jason Thompson - 48.3%

Andrew Bogus?  Hahaha ;D  That made me laugh, so TP.  I never would have thought that the Greek Freak would be the 3rd best in the league in this statistical category, but that actually supports my belief that KJ Mcdaniels would have been a huge help in this department.  Sigh.  Isn't it interesting, though, that KG, Pierce, and Jermaine O'Neal are all in the top 20, and at their advanced ages, to boot.  I mean, we all know how great of a shot blocker O'Neal still is, and KG is just incredible at every facet of defense, but who knew that Pierce would be ranked so high?  I know that it's because of the fact that he takes charges, but still, it's very impressive.

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think Danny's going to kick the tires on a retread center on a 3-year deal (only first guaranteed) that will have everyone groaning. Our center of the future is coming in next year's draft.

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2014, 10:45:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Now that you mention this, he's 18 and some think he's not done growing yet.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2014, 11:34:04 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

C - Rim protection
I really like our overall lineup right now, but the one thing I think we're really lacking is a rim protector to put alongside Sully/Olynyk. 

The traditional way of adding a rim protector is to look for a big center, which makes perfect sense given that optimally you don't want either Sully nor Olynyk playing center.  But I ran some numbers to work out who are the best 'rim protection' in the NBA by checking which players allowed the lowest FG% at the rim. 

To ensure there are no bogus numbers coming from small sample sizes, I filtered players using the following criteria:

1) At least 40 games played and 20 MPG (eliminate the small sample of guys who didn't play much)

2) Players who had at least 3 Opponent FG's attempted at the rim per game (eliminate the guards and swingmen who's figures are skewed by small sample size)

1- Roy Hibbert - 41.4%
2 - Robin Lopez - 42.5%
4 - Serge Ibaka - 43.9%
6 - Andrew Bogus - 45%
7 - Taj Gibson - 45.7%
8 - John Henson - 46.3%
9 - Joakim Noah - 46.8%
11 - David West - 47%
12 - Josh Smith - 47.1%
14 - Tim Duncan - 47.6%
15 - Omer Asik - 47.7%
19 - Paul Pierce - 48.2%

Andrew Bogus?  Hahaha ;D  That made me laugh, so TP.  I never would have thought that the Greek Freak would be the 3rd best in the league in this statistical category, but that actually supports my belief that KJ Mcdaniels would have been a huge help in this department.  Sigh.  Isn't it interesting, though, that KG, Pierce, and Jermaine O'Neal are all in the top 20, and at their advanced ages, to boot.  I mean, we all know how great of a shot blocker O'Neal still is, and KG is just incredible at every facet of defense, but who knew that Pierce would be ranked so high?  I know that it's because of the fact that he takes charges, but still, it's very impressive.

Hahahaha I didn't see that  ;D

Defiantely impressive.  Just goes to show why this team was so tough defensively when we had those three guys on the court.

Pierce I think was really underrated defensively late in his career.  I think he uses his strength very well to hold his position and to push guys off their spots.  I'm sure he'd struggle to defend a 6'10" big man down low, but against smaller PF's (like Thadeous Young) or SF's I think he can really hold his own.

KG is definately not the spring chicken he once was in terms of lateral quickness, but he has a very high BBIQ, is much stronger than he looks, and uses his incredible length very well.  He's also very good at getting in to an opponents head.  It's not too often that you see a big man score against KG in the paint.  Usually it's stretch bigs like Bosh (stepping out to the three point line) who give him trouble these days.   

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Can't believe Danny let Asik go to New Orleans for next to nothing. Like Greg Monroe; but not sure he is the answer. Perkins is not the answer either; but would not mind bringing him back for the transition period.

Gortat is the man; but would not come cheap and he wants to win now.

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2014, 12:39:26 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
a healthy bynum might be better than hasik, if you got a pass 1st guy 15assist per game, hasik don't fit this team, give me pau gasol and lets go

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2014, 08:00:50 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Turns out Daniel Orton had a double-double once. Also he's just 23 which is surprising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1QlLlJCmQ

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2014, 08:08:35 AM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
I said this in a previous post. What about a trade for All Horford?
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2014, 08:14:41 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I don't think we will need to give up a ton of assets to get him because of his injuries the last couple years, but if the Hawks trade him it means they are rebuilding.  Not sure that is the case. 

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2014, 08:28:47 AM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18

I don't think we will need to give up a ton of assets to get him because of his injuries the last couple years, but if the Hawks trade him it means they are rebuilding.  Not sure that is the case.

Even with the way they played in playoffs without him? The end of season run they made was without him, they play better with a small ball lineup. What if they got Olynyk along with our TPE?
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2014, 08:48:23 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm actually going to make a completely different suggestion that isn't on this list - trade for Josh Smith.  Yes, I know you're all going to think I'm crazy but hear me out, for I have my reasons... 

A: Value
First of all, Detroit pretty much HAS TO get rid of one of their starting front court players.  Drummond is pretty much untouchable, which leaves Monroe and Smith as potential trade options.

Monroe is younger (more upside) plus he can stretch the floor with his shooting as well as score in the post, and he's also a very good passer.  This offensive versatility makes him a very nice fit alongside Andre Drummond, who is a more defensive oriented big.

All this means that Detroit's unquestionable preference would be to trade Smith, not Monroe.  Because of this (and the fact that they absolutley cannot keep all three and succeed) it means that Josh Smith would most likely be available for a major bargain.  Detroit would probably be happy to give Smith up for almost nothing if it means getting his salary off their books, so a combination of Hump's expiring contract, Bogan's non-guaranteed contract and a second round pick might be all it takes to get Smith in Boston Green. Even if it means upgrading that pick to the Clippers 1st rounder, that's still a bargain deal to bring in a player of Smith's calibre. 

B - Rebutting Smith's reputation as an inefficient scorer
The biggest reason for people don't like Josh Smith is because he's seen a highly inefficient scorer - a guy who takes too many jumpers (especially threes).  This was really highlighted in Detroit last season when he shot a career worst 42% from the field and equally poor 26% from three (on a ghastly 3.4 3PA per game). 

Lets take a look at those with a little more depth.

Firstly, perimeter shooting is one of Smith's well documented weaknesses.  He's not incapable of hitting the odd open jumper (from midrange or from three) but it's certainly not something you focus your offense around. 

However one area Smith does excel is inside the paint.  In the paint, over his past 4 seasons, Josh Smith has shot:

2010-11: 69%
2011-12: 69%
2012-13: 77%
2013-14: 71%

Over his entire career Smith has shot a very impressive 67% in that 0-3 foot range, and has never shot below about 60% in that area.

Smith's struggles in Detroit came from the the fact that he was forced to play the SF position, leaving him with no chioce but to spend more time on the perimeter.  With a role like this, Smith was doomed from the start to be nothing but horribly inefficient.  Lets check the stats to prove it.

In seasons where Smith has predominantly played SF, his per-36 minute averages have been:

15.1 Pts
7.9 Reb
3.0 Ast
2.5 Blk
1.2 Stl
43% FG

In seasons where Smith has predominantly played PF, his per-36 minute averages have been:

17.2 Pts
8.6 Reb
3.7 Ast
2.0 Blk
1.4 Stl
47% FG

Smith has has had production in every statistical area (bar blocks) in the season's where he's played mostly at the PF spot, but the two numbers that stand out the most are his scoring and shotting percentages.  Not only has he scored 2 PPG more as a PF, but he's also shot a whopping 4% more efficiently.   

There is no doubt about it - for Josh Smith to produce at his best, he needs to be starting at the PF spot.  In Boston that's exactly where he would be - down low, in the paint.

For those who are worried about replacing Sully with Smith...Sully's 3PA, 3P% and FG% from last season were all on par with what Smith shot last year as a SF.  Even in his absolute worst case, Smith's still won't make you cringe any more than Sully already does. 

C - Rim protection

1- Roy Hibbert - 41.4%
2 - Robin Lopez - 42.5%
4 - Serge Ibaka - 43.9%
6 - Andrew Bogus - 45%
7 - Taj Gibson - 45.7%
8 - John Henson - 46.3%
9 - Joakim Noah - 46.8%
11 - David West - 47%
12 - Josh Smith - 47.1%
14 - Tim Duncan - 47.6%
15 - Omer Asik - 47.7%
19 - Paul Pierce - 48.2%

No, your eyes do not decieve you. 

According to pure statistics, Josh Smith was a slightly better rim protector last season then:

Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Omer Asik
Dwight Howard

He also ranked only slightly below the reigning DPOTY, Joakim Noah. 

By comparison our current bigs ranked as follows:

Kris Humphries - 50.8%
Jared Sullinger - 53.9%
Brandon Bass - 54.1% 
Kelly Olynyk - 56.3%

He's not the first person you think of because of his lack of imposing size (realistically, closer to 6'8") but statistics show that Josh Smith is an ELITE rim protector.  His impressive length and insane athleticism (and surprising strength) allow him to challenge shots better than most 7 footers out there, and he also managed to do that without getting himself in to foul trouble  (2.8 FPG for his career).

Suddenly the thought of combining Josh Smith with somebody like Kelly Olynyk starts to make quite a bit of sense.  Not only does Smith have the ability to protect the rim as well as any big man out there, but he also has the quickness to switch on picks and defend opposing centers, small forwards or even shooting guards.  This would go a long way to masking Olynyk's limitations, and would Stevens to start Olynyk at the center spot, knowing that Smith has his back if he slips up. 

D - Perimeter Defense and rebounding
If there's one thing we do know about Marcus Smart, it's that he's one hell of a defender.  He's got the combination of strength and athleticism to defend either guard spot, and could even step out and guard the off small foward from time to time (much like Tony Allen does).

At SG we have Avery Bradley, a guy who (at 22 years old) has already made an All-Defensive team. 

At SF we have Jeff Green - a highly underrated defensive player who has shown on countless occasions that he's capable of slowing (or shutting down) even the most dominant superstar small forwards.

Now you add Josh Smith at the PF spot. 

Right now it doesn't even matter who your center is - that's an elite defensive team.

E - Rebounding
Small sample size, but Kelly Olynyk averaged about 9.5 rebounds per 36 minutes last season. 

Josh Smith has averaged 8.5 RPG in seasons over his career when playing the PF spot.  Avery

Bradley from memory ranked top 5 among all NBA guards last year in rebounding (just over 4 per game).

Marcus Smart was a beast on the boards in college. 

Throw in Jeff Green's typical 6 RPG and you're getting about 33 boards a night from your stating 5. 

If you can get another 15 boards from your bench (by no means unrealistic) then you have a pretty good rebouding team too.

F - Transition game
Now we're getting to the fun part.  Once this elite defensive lineup gets a stop, you have two bigs (Josh Smith and Kelly Olynyk) who are both exceptional - maybe even elite - passing big men ready to throw the outlet pass.  Hell, even Olynyk has shown he's very willing (and suprisingly fast) runner in transition. 

Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, Josh Smith - you'll be putting points on the board before your opponent even knew what happened.

On the other end of the court, those four guys will be entertaining you will so many chase-down blocks that you'll be hitting the replay button over, and over, and over, and over....

I know it seems crazy but again, I actually really think Smith would fit in incredibly well here - with or without Rondo.   It seems like the perfect situation to bring the best out of him, and he'd be available on the cheap.

If not smith, then the next guys I'd go for (in order) are:

Gortat (only other player who can win you games on both ends of the court)
Noah (defense definately helps cover for Olynyk/Sully)
Monroe (Give us much needed post presense and front court scoring)
Okafor (if budget is limited, he's a nice pickup)

Okay, first off, tp for the effort with this post - this seems more like a well-thought out opening thread message. Not all will agree, but it was nicely articulated.

As for Smith, I can definitely see how it would work - he should be cheap, productive, and help keep Rondo around. My only concern would be the center position and an overloaded PF spot. If we could swing Sully or KO for a [very] viable center, then this move would really help round out the roster. It would also make it 'okay' if we got a center who wasn't terribly athletically gifted.

What do people think it would take to get Smith? Remember, he was signed as a FA and didn't cost the Pistons anything except cap space. I would like to hold on to Green, if possible, since the line-up would be very well-balanced (if we acquired a center), but that might be the only move. Would people be willing to deal Green?

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'd like to see Gortat.  I think we could get him for a decent price.  Thompson/McLemore for Rondo.  It may not work out in the $ so add in pieces to make it work, maybe including Detroit in a Smith three way with the Kings. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."