Larry Sanders trade
Derrick Favors trade
Enes Kanter trade
Timofey Mozgov trade
Kosta Koufos trade
Sign Cole Aldrich
Sign Ekpe Udoh
Nerlens Noel Trade

Author Topic: How Boston Celtics can fix the Center position now that Draft is over  (Read 20068 times)

Re: How Boston Celtics can fix the Center position now that Draft is over
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 07:02:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Other possibilities not discussed yet include Channing Frye and Andray Blatche (both UFAs).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
And by the way, KG was a skinny PF playing center well after his prime. In his prime (and playing today) would we dismiss him playing center at 6'11 cause he is to skinny?
Kevin Garnett didn't play center in his prime. In fact, word is he specifically insisted that he was listed at 6'11 so that his coaches don't get the idea of sending him to bang down under with the trees.

Can we knock off the nonsense already?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2014, 07:07:01 PM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I like Emeka Okafor, he is an experienced, cheap option, with vet knowledge to help bring along Iverson and Fav.... then hopefully we have a shot at his namesake in next years draft
I don't think we need to worry about "bringing along Faverani", a 26-year old center who played himself out of the rotation on a horrible team, and ultimately broke down. Let's just say this experiment didn't work, and move on.

If Hill can be had for cheap as an UFA, you gotta roll the dice. Okafor worries me in that he can't stay in one piece, but beggars can't be choosers.

I totally forgot Fav was so old!
You're right, beggars can't be choosers... this is why i've gone the conservative option with Okafor as I can't see us getting any of the bigger names like Gortat etc... Okafor is a little glass-like, but if he stays in one piece he's a good option. I also think Oden is in the same grouping, obivously not as experienced, but worth a shot.

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Get Larry Sanders.  Brad can fix him.

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Maybe we could trade for Gorgui Dieng from Minnesota. he was a rookie last year is there back up center and is a very good player was in the running for rookie of the year.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I like Emeka Okafor, he is an experienced, cheap option, with vet knowledge to help bring along Iverson and Fav.... then hopefully we have a shot at his namesake in next years draft
I don't think we need to worry about "bringing along Faverani", a 26-year old center who played himself out of the rotation on a horrible team, and ultimately broke down. Let's just say this experiment didn't work, and move on.

If Hill can be had for cheap as an UFA, you gotta roll the dice. Okafor worries me in that he can't stay in one piece, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'd stay away from Hill on account of a domestic violence charge two years ago where he choked his ex girlfriend in his Houston apartment.  What are we trying to do, turn the Celtics into the Portland Jailblazers?  NO, NO, NO!  I don't want Sullinger here, either, for the same reason (obviously).

What about Kevin Seraphin?  He's got excellent moves in the post, even though he's not much of a defender.  I'd also look into Cole Aldrich.  He's a good shot blocker, post player, and can pass.  He'll be 26 in October.  What about Samardo Samuels if we can get something or someone for Sulinger?  Jeremy Tyler could probably be had for next to nothing from the Knicks.  Sorry everyone, I just like big guys who play actually like big guys :o  What a concept, right?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:02:24 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If it worked for t-rex, maybe it can work for Oly.

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
What about Kevin Seraphin?  He's got excellent moves in the post, even though he's not much of a defender.
Don't like Seraphin. Can't rebound and doesn't play defense. Might as well play Brandon Bass at C.

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2014, 07:42:18 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Kozlodoev... No nonsense...just read the post. I never said KG played center in his prime. I said that He was PLAYING center well after his prime. I would have assumed you would have understood that KG was always considered a PF...which is my point of how ridiculous it is to  label a guy is when he has the length and skill to meet the teams needs.

IF he was needed In his prime to play center, we would have used him that way and he would have handled it. HE might not have liked it, but that is irrelevent.

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2014, 07:42:39 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If we trade away Rondo as part of a rebuild, I would go after a cheap guy like Henson or Mozgov.  If we keep Rondo, I'd go after Sanders or Gortat.

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Exactly... Let those cheaper options get PT  to see what they can do moving forward? It's pretty much a waste of time trying to get a Gortat if we can't contend.

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2014, 08:13:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What about Kevin Seraphin?  He's got excellent moves in the post, even though he's not much of a defender.
Don't like Seraphin. Can't rebound and doesn't play defense. Might as well play Brandon Bass at C.

You can always teach defense, imo.  Does he not have the skill to rebound, or is it a lack of effort?  Keep in mind that he's never played, on average, more than 22 mpg during his career, and I think last year that was down to 10.9 :o  I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here haha.  At least he plays with his back to the basket, and I think we all know how hard it is to find that kind of a player nowadays.

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

You can always teach defense, imo.  Does he not have the skill to rebound, or is it a lack of effort?  Keep in mind that he's never played, on average, more than 22 mpg during his career, and I think last year that was down to 10.9 :o  I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here haha.  At least he plays with his back to the basket, and I think we all know how hard it is to find that kind of a player nowadays.
The reasons, to me, are immaterial. He's 24 years old, and he's been in the league for 2 seasons, and has seen major minutes in 2. He's probably very close to what he's going to be for the remainder of his career.

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
What about a couple of physical freaks that were drafted a few years ago?  Hassan Whiteside and Keith Benson.

Both were too skinny when they were 22 years old, maybe at 25 after bouncing around overseas, they have gotten better and stronger?

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2014, 09:20:17 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
And by the way, KG was a skinny PF playing center well after his prime. In his prime (and playing today) would we dismiss him playing center at 6'11 cause he is to skinny?
Kevin Garnett didn't play center in his prime. In fact, word is he specifically insisted that he was listed at 6'11 so that his coaches don't get the idea of sending him to bang down under with the trees.

Can we knock off the nonsense already?

Nonsense is saying he can't play center because of what? His weight?
Must not be able to play power forward either with the far heavier players like Zach Randolph, David west and sully manning that position.
 Such a myopic point of view I don't know why I'm even debating it... But I am
It's all about putting fitting the right pieces together. Putting a team together that maximizes players talents and minimizes individual weaknesses.
One of the biggest weaknesses  on last years team was a lack of length and athleticism in the paint.
Our defensive schemes didn't work with out that mobile help defense and shot blocking.
We have the muscle in sully, we have a stretch 4 I'm Oly. As I stated earlier they both have weaknesses that can be minimized by pairing them with the right player. We don't' need a "center" we need that player.

As an aside: How much did Noah weigh wen he came into the league? 223? He didn't weigh much more at 24. Didn't stop that dude from Becoming a beast.