Larry Sanders trade
Derrick Favors trade
Enes Kanter trade
Timofey Mozgov trade
Kosta Koufos trade
Sign Cole Aldrich
Sign Ekpe Udoh
Nerlens Noel Trade

Author Topic: How Boston Celtics can fix the Center position now that Draft is over  (Read 20069 times)

Re: How Boston Celtics can fix the Center position now that Draft is over
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Henson was rumored to be abailable.
Expiring contracts and a protected first?
If we're going young I'd prefer him or Saunders over Gortat, okafor.
If we get love get a vet.

Henson is not a center

By what measure?
Henson is 6'11" averaged 11pts, 7 rebounds and 1.7 blocks.
He is 24 and weighs 220. I bet he can still as 10 lbs.
Think he can play center.

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't see acquire Perk and get a draft pick from OKC for taking him off their hands on the list.  That's my plan B or C at this point.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Um, he's 24. His body is as close to a finished product as you're going to get.

Also, even 230 lbs is quite undersized for a center. Paul Pierce is listed at 235, for crying out loud.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Assuming there are no fireworks (i.e.: Love trade) that get us closer to "win now" mode, My preference at center is signing Greg Oden, along with a Steisma/Jason Smith-type back up.

We'll probably be in the lottery again next year, and the 2015 draft is loaded with center prospects.  That is where we find our long-term solution at the position.  In the meantime, we need size at the 5, and Oden offers an interesting balance of lower cost, with some upside.  He's still only 25, and if you can keep him in the lineup he is capable of being a very effective post player.  I think I'd want enough depth at the position to be able to limit his minutes to 25 min per game even if he is supposedly totally healthy though.

He seems like he'd be a worthwhile experiment for a team in our current situation.

My thoughts exactly on Oden.  What do we have to lose?  I'd also look into Emeka Okafor.  Out of all of the guys mentioned in the poll, he might be the only one willing to come here.

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Also, even 230 lbs is quite undersized for a center. Paul Pierce is listed at 235, for crying out loud.
If we're rolling with sully/ Oly at the 4 we need is a long, agile shot blocker to compliment our PFs.
Sully has proved he can muscle with the heavyweights but he ain't no shot blocker, Oly's skill set is a stretch 4 on O, he's a smart defender but not quick and neither pf can play the roaming, help defense and and rim protection that Henson can provide.
Henson compliments both.
 I don't know about you but I sure added weight in my late 20's. (Not in a good way...)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:23:28 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

If we're rolling with sully/ Oly at the 4 we need is a long, agile shot blocker to compliment our PFs.
Sully has proved he can muscle with the heavyweights but he ain't no shot blocker, Oly's skill set is a stretch 4 on O, he's a smart defender but not quick and neither pf can play the roaming, help defense and and rim protection that Henson can provide.
Henson compliments both.
How is this relevant to the fact that a 220 lbs. pogo stick will likely face major difficulties if asked to be an everyday center?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Henson compliments both.
How is this relevant to the fact that a 220 lbs. pogo stick will likely face major difficulties if asked to be an everyday center?
Sully can handle the heavier centers. Henson is mobile enough to cover 4's in this scenario and will cover the rim regardless of who he's guarding.
Besides, who's rolling out a 7 ' tank in the east? Indy... ?

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Marcus Smart is 225!

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
I'm with you arctic... People go ga-ga over what we name a player's position. What makes a center...does he have to be fat? A center is a 7 footer by god, but a 6'10 or6'11 guy has to be a PF. So who are these monsters that the everyday center has to guard? Doesnt quickness and long arms to block shots work for a center, or does he have to be labeled a PF?

Silly. what we need is shot blocking and defense, with at least some ability to score the ball. Because Henson is a PF, I guess those skills mean nothing. Yes, I would rather have Gortat! but I much prefer Henson to who we have right now, and he might be the only guy available or attainable.

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'm with you arctic... People go ga-ga over what we name a player's position. What makes a center...does he have to be fat? A center is a 7 footer by god, but a 6'10 or6'11 guy has to be a PF. So who are these monsters that the everyday center has to guard? Doesnt quickness and long arms to block shots work for a center, or does he have to be labeled a PF?

Silly. what we need is shot blocking and defense, with at least some ability to score the ball. Because Henson is a PF, I guess those skills mean nothing. Yes, I would rather have Gortat! but I much prefer Henson to who we have right now, and he might be the only guy available or attainable.
Sure. Let's get Josh Smith and play him at center. He's quick, has long arms, and can certainly block shots...

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 06:40:47 PM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I like Emeka Okafor, he is an experienced, cheap option, with vet knowledge to help bring along Iverson and Fav.... then hopefully we have a shot at his namesake in next years draft

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
Silly.. Not comparing (a shorter) smith... Irrelevent.
the comparison was a 6'11 guy with a7 foot guy.

That 1 inch is a game changer, huh.  the length of Henson stands to bother a post player as much as the girth of Gortat? Sully was hard to move, but bigger guys shoot over him all time with ease.

As arctic said, who are all these big guys that need to be muscled in the post every night?

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I like Emeka Okafor, he is an experienced, cheap option, with vet knowledge to help bring along Iverson and Fav.... then hopefully we have a shot at his namesake in next years draft
I don't think we need to worry about "bringing along Faverani", a 26-year old center who played himself out of the rotation on a horrible team, and ultimately broke down. Let's just say this experiment didn't work, and move on.

If Hill can be had for cheap as an UFA, you gotta roll the dice. Okafor worries me in that he can't stay in one piece, but beggars can't be choosers.

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
And by the way, KG was a skinny PF playing center well after his prime. In his prime (and playing today) would we dismiss him playing center at 6'11 cause he is to skinny?

mobility and length used properly can be effective. yes, you might get muscled out on occasion, as a lot of guys do. BUt what you gain in pick and roll defense from a quicker center can make up for the few times you get out-muscled. I'd rather have Hibbert trying to score on hooks, than a pick and roll mismatch that allows George to get to the rim because the center is too big And slow to move his feet.

I get your point, but dismissing Henson as a center option seems premature.

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
I do like Jordan Hill ...plays bigger than he is and hustles.

But I thought he was a PF.  :)