Author Topic: What do you think of this Simmons-Rose-Bilas-Davis broadcast lineup?  (Read 7443 times)

Re: What do you think of this Simmons-Rose-Bilas-Davis broadcast lineup?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »

Offline doinky

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
they were a delight after being subjected to mark jackson and van gumby.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 12:52:56 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hated it.  They seemed to ignore all of the most immediate questions.  When Smart was drafted, why were they not discussing what that meant for Rondo/AB?  That's potentially the biggest implication for the selection, that it may impact the C's plan for those two players.  And really seemed to be minimizing the risk of Emblid's stress fractures - the risk that it's a Yao/Bill Walton-type problem.

Also, as I pointed out to my wife, Jay Bilas seems to like guys who are long, good at penetration, but versatile.  Not sure if there's something going on in his subconscious.

LOL

Bahaha, TP ;D  Doesn't he also tend to describe great athletes as, "a freak of an athlete?"  I'm sure you can find a way to incorporate that into your Bilas analysis ;)  I certainly didn't miss him saying wingspan every five seconds last night, though.

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »

Offline thehumburger

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I do enjoy how easily Simmons wears out his welcome with ESPN's hosts, though -- you could see Davis starting to get some Sage Steele in his eyes by the time they made the Isiah Austen pick.

I like Simmons podcasts when he goes 1 on 1 with people, frequently Jalen, and the chemistry can be a little more free flowing. Sometimes when he's on those panels that are usually intended for a more general audience his commentary isn't always received as well by his fellow panelists. He's like an excitable wise-ass kid making quips to stodgy adults. There's always a few awkward moments where he blurts something out or cuts someone off or they just completely ignore what he said. Overall though I enjoy his style; definitely makes it more entertaining.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:33:56 AM by thehumburger »

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 01:01:23 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I thought it was really really good and they all brought the best out in each other.

Here are my favorite examples..

Jalen...."if you lock Napier and Exum in a room together Napier is coming out and I like to bet on guys like that"

Bill Simmons...."And if you locked them in a room with Jalen Jalen is coming out"

Jay Bilas "And if you came to my house. First you have to get through the butler, then if you get through him the nanny might wake me up"

Bill Simmons being hilarious...."PJ Hairston is no Bruno Cabasio but I think he'll be ok"

Bill Simmons..."I knew we were in trouble with that pick when Jay had to go through like 10 pages of notes to find this kid"

Jay..."I never found the notes"

Bill Simmons on the Kyle Anderson Spurs pick...."Typical. Well they say he is a high IQ guy so I'm concerned how he's going to fit in with all those low IQ Spurs guys"

Bill Simmons ...."A couple guys told me they think this could be the best 2nd round since 2005"

Jay Bilas...."The difference is that this year there's first round talent in the second round. Last year there was second round talent in the first round"

The only thing that ticked me off was Jay Bilas saying it was great that "America is evolving as a people and embracing soccer like the rest of the world has all along".  For God's sake Bilas. Move to France. That's just ESPN trying to sell something.

There was another moment when Simmons said that he fell in love watching some guy on YouTube at 3-4 in the morning, and the rest of them chimed in with Davis concluding matters by saying something like, "as opposed to other places (or websites.  Probably websites, but I can't remember it exactly right now) where you can fall in love at 3-4 am."  Um, what?  It was an awkward lol moment, sure, but totally inappropriate and shouldn't have made it on the air, imo.

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 01:13:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Solid.  Simmons and rose entertain me.

They're pretty good, imo, and I do enjoy them on grantland etc.  I just wish that Rose would stop trying to sing.  If he says, "You've got to give the people what they want," again, just, ugh.  Only I sound worse lol.  Of course, during a segway to a commercial on the show that followed the Bad Boys 30 for 30 feature, called 'Detroit Remix' or something, he had to sing, "Remix baby."  Just, please stop.  I beg of you ;D  I think there was a petition for him to stop singing haha.

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 01:19:04 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I thought it was really really good and they all brought the best out in each other.

Here are my favorite examples..

Jalen...."if you lock Napier and Exum in a room together Napier is coming out and I like to bet on guys like that"

Bill Simmons...."And if you locked them in a room with Jalen Jalen is coming out"

Jay Bilas "And if you came to my house. First you have to get through the butler, then if you get through him the nanny might wake me up"

Bill Simmons being hilarious...."PJ Hairston is no Bruno Cabasio but I think he'll be ok"

Bill Simmons..."I knew we were in trouble with that pick when Jay had to go through like 10 pages of notes to find this kid"

Jay..."I never found the notes"

Bill Simmons on the Kyle Anderson Spurs pick...."Typical. Well they say he is a high IQ guy so I'm concerned how he's going to fit in with all those low IQ Spurs guys"

Bill Simmons ...."A couple guys told me they think this could be the best 2nd round since 2005"

Jay Bilas...."The difference is that this year there's first round talent in the second round. Last year there was second round talent in the first round"

The only thing that ticked me off was Jay Bilas saying it was great that "America is evolving as a people and embracing soccer like the rest of the world has all along".  For God's sake Bilas. Move to France. That's just ESPN trying to sell something.

There was another moment when Simmons said that he fell in love watching some guy on YouTube at 3-4 in the morning, and the rest of them chimed in with Davis concluding matters by saying something like, "as opposed to other places (or websites.  Probably websites, but I can't remember it exactly right now) where you can fall in love at 3-4 am."  Um, what?  It was an awkward lol moment, sure, but totally inappropriate and shouldn't have made it on the air, imo.

It's really not a big deal to make a joke that kills the monotony of "upside" and "freak athlete" discussion for three hours.

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's also not any more "offensive" than the Bilas analysis going on at the top of this page.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Simmons is a fan. I enjoy him although I agree that sometimes we can get an OD of his opinions. But we lack this kind of perspective on TV, a fan's perspective. He doesn't try to be a "journalist". He's smart, he does his homework, he's funny and he's a fan of the game (someone that understands the beauty of a team like the Spurs surpassing a bunch of star-players like the Heat). That's why I think this broadcasting lineup is great. The draft wasn't great in comedy but I enjoyed it.
And by the way...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKgr0teW8F4

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think they were all great and knew their stuff. Bill Simmons is the man. And for why they seemed so positive about every pick, the reason was that this was and unbelievably deep draft.  There were so many good prospects especially in the late first, early second.