Author Topic: What do you think of this Simmons-Rose-Bilas-Davis broadcast lineup?  (Read 7428 times)

Re: What do you think of this Simmons-Rose-Bilas-Davis broadcast lineup?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The only thing that ticked me off was Jay Bilas saying it was great that "America is evolving as a people and embracing soccer like the rest of the world has all along".  For God's sake Bilas. Move to France. That's just ESPN trying to sell something.

Wait, so an offhand comment about people actually watching soccer is ESPN trying to sell something, but them conjuring a LeBron-to-Cleveland nonstory out of nothing (including bringing in Broussard) is not?

I do enjoy how easily Simmons wears out his welcome with ESPN's hosts, though -- you could see Davis starting to get some Sage Steele in his eyes by the time they made the Isiah Austen pick.
Right. I expect them to sell me nba intrigue during the nba draft. Not shove soccer down my throat.

The evolving part of the comment irritated me.  I don't like soccer, so I'm not evolved?  Are Europeans not evolved because they don't play baseball or American football?  It was a stupid comment and I hate that line of thinking.  It's very pretentious.

Given that most people who don't like soccer tend not to believe in evolution, I think its an if the shoe fits phenomenon. ;)

Only kidding -- you've never heard of "evolving" being used in terms of tastes? It's a pretty common analogous phrase to 'changing' as far as describing cultural shifts.

It's not really analogous to changing though. It means to develop and advance.  It was a snooty comment. 

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Oh, for sure. Bilas is a snooty fellow. Wingspan.

I don't think complaining about the ESPN agenda in regards to that comment is legitimate, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The only thing that ticked me off was Jay Bilas saying it was great that "America is evolving as a people and embracing soccer like the rest of the world has all along".  For God's sake Bilas. Move to France. That's just ESPN trying to sell something.

Wait, so an offhand comment about people actually watching soccer is ESPN trying to sell something, but them conjuring a LeBron-to-Cleveland nonstory out of nothing (including bringing in Broussard) is not?

I do enjoy how easily Simmons wears out his welcome with ESPN's hosts, though -- you could see Davis starting to get some Sage Steele in his eyes by the time they made the Isiah Austen pick.
Right. I expect them to sell me nba intrigue during the nba draft. Not shove soccer down my throat.

The evolving part of the comment irritated me.  I don't like soccer, so I'm not evolved?  Are Europeans not evolved because they don't play baseball or American football?  It was a stupid comment and I hate that line of thinking.  It's very pretentious.

Given that most people who don't like soccer tend not to believe in evolution, I think its an if the shoe fits phenomenon. ;)

Only kidding -- you've never heard of "evolving" being used in terms of tastes? It's a pretty common analogous phrase to 'changing' as far as describing cultural shifts.
The majority of Americans believe in evolution and the majority of Americans don't like soccer so the shoe doesn't fit. Or maybe in this case the $200 dollar pair of wingtips that Silas' butler bought and then his nanny picked out that morning didn't fit.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

But there is no NBA intrigue. That's exactly the point. Simmons even said something to that effect during the broadcast -- that they should be burying the story instead of perpetuating it, but they can't because they're ESPN.
Manufacturing intrigue isn't all that great. But I definitely found it to be the most intriguing and mysterious draft ever. There were a million rumors on everything from picks and trades to free agency. Twitter was absolutely off the charts for the past two weeks.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I personally don't like them at all.  Davis and Bilas are fine, but Rose and Simmons do absolutely nothing for me.

Now I've always enjoyed reading Bill Simmons' articles and I?ve enjoyed Jalen Rose's interviews and personality (from when he was a player, to things like the Fab Five documentary and he when he was a frequent guest on the Best [dang] Sports Show).  And I think they both have funny sides and enjoy being goofballs, which usually appeals to me.  I like those both those guys as individuals, probably would love hanging out with them and talking hoops...

But I think they're both terrible as broadcast commentators.  Ya I get it, they're buddies in real life now, but I think they have zero on-air chemistry.  Even individually, I think both are terrible as on-air analysts.  They don?t have the right voices, they're terrible at their timing and flow, etc.

To me, it seems like a terrible attempt by ESPN/ABC to replicate TNT's success with the goofball style.  I love the TNT broadcasts, I think all those guys have great chemistry from the main guys of Ernie, Kenny, and Charles, to the less obvious Marv Albert, Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller, Craig Sager. etc.  Pretty much everybody on TNT except Shaq.  ESPN has always been good at the humor too, just a different type with Sports Center and guys like Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, Scott Van Pelt, etc.  Everything doesn't need to be the goof around style which I think ESPN is pushing too much with Jalen and Simmons. 

It was much better when they had guys like Stuart Scott, or Greg Anthony and Tim Legler.  Even Tolbert and Walton.  Honestly, I'd rather have Stephen A Smith up there.  I just seems like a failed attempt to be more like TNT to me.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:01:54 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rece Davis is rock solid as a host. Much better than the years we had Stuart Scott thrust upon us.

Bilas comes prepared.  I enjoy him. 

Rose has no place on a draft show.  Don't know why they use him.  Much like not understanding why the NFL Network uses Irvin in the draft.    Those guys just really are not draftniks. 

Simmons is hot/cold.  Its nice to have the entertainment factor there and a bit of an "outside" view but some of his stuff is a bit ridiculous. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Simmons is the best. His James young fist pump was awesome haha.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The Davis MC was great.  Everyone else was mediocre. 

I suppose for the general audience (if such a thing exists for the NBA Draft) was satisfied. For draft nuts like me, though, found it pedestrian. Of course, the draft itself was disappointing, inasmuch as neither plan a (Embiid), plan b (Gordon) or plan c (Love trade) did not materialize.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What bothered me most about the draft was the apparent "Cap Expert" they had on there, who was pretty clueless in my opinion about how the salary cap actually works.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 11:32:59 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I've been listening to Jalen Rose's podcast for awhile. The guy has more insight and willingness to talk about it than almost any other announcer.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
They had some funny lines, but I hated the positivity in everything.  Seriously every pick was the greatest pick ever.  As an example, Boston is on the clock at 17, all 4 of them say Boston should select Gary Harris.  Boston selects James Young and all 4 of them say it was the right pick and a great selection.  They did that with every single pick.  Just total nonsensical puffery.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Solid.  Simmons and rose entertain me.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Nice coverage. Pretty informative. Not too heavy on the special interest BS.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 11:53:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I personally don't like them at all.  Davis and Bilas are fine, but Rose and Simmons do absolutely nothing for me.

Now I've always enjoyed reading Bill Simmons' articles and I?ve enjoyed Jalen Rose's interviews and personality (from when he was a player, to things like the Fab Five documentary and he when he was a frequent guest on the Best [dang] Sports Show).  And I think they both have funny sides and enjoy being goofballs, which usually appeals to me.  I like those both those guys as individuals, probably would love hanging out with them and talking hoops...

But I think they're both terrible as broadcast commentators.  Ya I get it, they're buddies in real life now, but I think they have zero on-air chemistry.  Even individually, I think both are terrible as on-air analysts.  They don?t have the right voices, they're terrible at their timing and flow, etc.

To me, it seems like a terrible attempt by ESPN/ABC to replicate TNT's success with the goofball style.  I love the TNT broadcasts, I think all those guys have great chemistry from the main guys of Ernie, Kenny, and Charles, to the less obvious Marv Albert, Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller, Craig Sager. etc.  Pretty much everybody on TNT except Shaq.  ESPN has always been good at the humor too, just a different type with Sports Center and guys like Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, Scott Van Pelt, etc.  Everything doesn't need to be the goof around style which I think ESPN is pushing too much with Jalen and Simmons. 

It was much better when they had guys like Stuart Scott, or Greg Anthony and Tim Legler.  Even Tolbert and Walton.  Honestly, I'd rather have Stephen A Smith up there.  I just seems like a failed attempt to be more like TNT to me.

I agree with most of this post.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 12:06:42 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Hated it.  They seemed to ignore all of the most immediate questions.  When Smart was drafted, why were they not discussing what that meant for Rondo/AB?  That's potentially the biggest implication for the selection, that it may impact the C's plan for those two players.  And really seemed to be minimizing the risk of Emblid's stress fractures - the risk that it's a Yao/Bill Walton-type problem.

Also, as I pointed out to my wife, Jay Bilas seems to like guys who are long, good at penetration, but versatile.  Not sure if there's something going on in his subconscious.

LOL

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell