Poll

Maybe We Can Get One Of Them?

bass for varejao + fillers?
5 (13.5%)
players and some cash for hawks 7'3 7'9wingspan tavares?
0 (0%)
sign ersa illyasova?
0 (0%)
sign artem klimenko?
2 (5.4%)
make a trade for nuggets mozvog
6 (16.2%)
trade for boozer + randolph?
2 (5.4%)
sign chris kaman?
1 (2.7%)
trade for thadues young? or derrick brown? or patrick patterson?
0 (0%)
make a run for pau gasol?
3 (8.1%)
rudy gobert? or spencer hawes?
0 (0%)
sign brendan haywood and make a run for kosta koufos
1 (2.7%)
other options
17 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Big Man Choices  (Read 6129 times)

Re: Big Man Choices
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 11:42:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
how about alex len or otto potter or jeff whitey

I always get a chuckle when people misspell Jeff's name that way.  It's pretty sophomoric of me, but oh well. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 12:27:19 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
A great way to tank is to not have a rim protector or a really poor center. I think we're in the tank again maybe for okafor. I would sign a stopgap one year solution and not resign Bradley. Got to keep the salary as low as possible. In two years we could have a great center (okafor or other collegian), sully, young, smart, olynyk and cap room for two max free agents.

I hate to rain on your parade, but, divine intervention not withstanding, the Celtics won't be getting a chance to draft any of those premier prospects.  Oh well, perhaps we can get the other, older, Okafor ;)

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 12:28:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I always get a chuckle when people misspell Jeff's name that way.  It's pretty sophomoric of me, but oh well.

You may enjoy this, then ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otEGbBsxMyM

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You may enjoy this, then ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otEGbBsxMyM

I did get a laugh out of that.  TP.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
too bad Porzingis dropped out of draft.  Would have been a great future rim protector. Slated to go top 4-5 in next year's draft.  Doubtful we will be able to get him then.

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Defensive-minded bigs are my choices. Stiemsma and Ty Thomas come to mind. They are very much available and may come cheap. Ty does well in helping on the weak side in defending the post/paint.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Koufos is an interesting idea. We probably need to target someone's backup center or hit the free agent market. Koufos probably would cost a first round pick. Is he worth that? I am having center panic trade flashbacks to Vitaly Potopenko.... While missing out on a Shawn Marion in the next draft.
Zaza Pachulia might not cost much.

I don't think teams are usually willing to give up a solid backup center unless they have a solid third-string center who they are confident in or if that backup has a bad contract.

If a team has a young starter-caliber back-up center, the more available target might be the guy in front of him.  That player might not be desirable.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 02:00:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Withey will  be resigned. Pelicans wont bring back stiemnsma .

Stiemer is an option. Cole aldrich you can have if you overpay. He was big in the 2nd half of the 2nd part of the year.  Just cant see danny overpaying for gortat or okafor. Koufus will be resigned per rumors. We could try to trade for mozgov or Ezeli

The worse case scenerio for me is hopefully od anoseki plays well and gets signed.  His overall game/size reminds me of ibakas without the jump shot

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Withey is on an unguaranteed contract for next season.  His status will depend on whether the Pelicans need to cut him to create cap space for the Asik trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 02:25:28 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
With this team as it is, not a championship caliber team, I say Emeka Okafor would be a good stopgap one year signing..at least we can be competitive with a decent big man in the middle...only thing is, is he healthy?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Withey is on an unguaranteed contract for next season.  His status will depend on whether the Pelicans need to cut him to create cap space for the Asik trade.

true, but he will be cheap to keep. I can't see the Pelicans only relying on Asik as the center of the team.  This team loves centers that are capable to defend/block shots

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
if we're tanking, just sign a d-leaguer who can put up baskets and call it a day.

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

true, but he will be cheap to keep. I can't see the Pelicans only relying on Asik as the center of the team.  This team loves centers that are capable to defend/block shots

I see them starting Davis and Asik and having Davis move over to center when Ryan Anderson comes in.  For their fourth big, they have Alexis Ajinca under a guaranteed contract for next season and he started 30 games for them last season.

Depending on what the salary cap is computed to be, they might have no choice but to waive Withey.  This would be doubly true if they want to try to bring back Al-Farouq Aminu instead of renouncing his Bird rights.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
A great way to tank is to not have a rim protector or a really poor center. I think we're in the tank again maybe for okafor. I would sign a stopgap one year solution and not resign Bradley. Got to keep the salary as low as possible. In two years we could have a great center (okafor or other collegian), sully, young, smart, olynyk and cap room for two max free agents.

I hate to rain on your parade, but, divine intervention not withstanding, the Celtics won't be getting a chance to draft any of those premier prospects.  Oh well, perhaps we can get the other, older, Okafor ;)

On the earliest 2015 mock draft there are 10 Centers projected to be taken, not including a couple of 6'9-6'11 power forwards who can protect the rim. Somehow I think we can grab one of them or trade up to get one