Poll

Maybe We Can Get One Of Them?

bass for varejao + fillers?
5 (13.5%)
players and some cash for hawks 7'3 7'9wingspan tavares?
0 (0%)
sign ersa illyasova?
0 (0%)
sign artem klimenko?
2 (5.4%)
make a trade for nuggets mozvog
6 (16.2%)
trade for boozer + randolph?
2 (5.4%)
sign chris kaman?
1 (2.7%)
trade for thadues young? or derrick brown? or patrick patterson?
0 (0%)
make a run for pau gasol?
3 (8.1%)
rudy gobert? or spencer hawes?
0 (0%)
sign brendan haywood and make a run for kosta koufos
1 (2.7%)
other options
17 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Big Man Choices  (Read 6128 times)

Re: Big Man Choices
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

This guy. (Here's the bandwagon)

Probably one of the most underrated Centers in the NBA. Unrestricted FA, could be available for the MLE. Good defender and shot blocker, great midrange game.

Bass is an expiring contract now. I would love if it Ainge could find a way to trade Bass for Koufos. Only a short term solution but it should be enough to give the Celtics a chance at making playoffs next year.

I agree with this. Kosta Koufos will be a solid option at the 5. He wont blow you away with what he can do, but he's going to grab boards, finish down low and defend solidly. An expiring $6.9 million should be enticing.

You got a rotation of Koufos and Smith, that would be a solid Center duo.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 11:16:35 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Expect some moderately priced stop gap type of big who can maybe defend a little.  This team won't be trying to really win for quite awhile I'm afraid.

Stiemsma and Okafor are free agents and  Dalembert might be gettable from the Knicks.

We'll see how much Ainge really values cap space because Gortat is the obvious choice but he'll cost at least 10-12 mil a year for 4 years.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 11:17:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
TPE + future picks for DeAndre Jordan.  Help facilitate moving Lebron out west.

Seriously they would have 3 of the top 5 players in the league (Paul, Lebron, Griffin) Durant and Davis being the others.  Bosh and Wade aren't even in the top 10 anymore (Love, George, Westbrook, Rose if healthy or Tony Parker, Lamarcus)

I think Lebron will do it and we need to take advantage and get Jordan here.

can u combine TPE's? cause I dont think Jordan fits into the pierce tpe alone

This is correct, and you cannot combine TPEs.  However, if we sent all four non-guaranteed contracts (Bogans, Johnson, Babb, and Pressey) we would be able to take back Jordan's contract.

That said, I think if LeBron winds up with the Clippers, it will be through a sign-and-trade with Miami. 

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »

Offline DinoGanga

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 31
A great way to tank is to not have a rim protector or a really poor center. I think we're in the tank again maybe for okafor. I would sign a stopgap one year solution and not resign Bradley. Got to keep the salary as low as possible. In two years we could have a great center (okafor or other collegian), sully, young, smart, olynyk and cap room for two max free agents.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Washington Wizards

PG: Darren Collison / Elfrid Payton / Tim Frazier
SG: Avery Bradley / Seth Curry
SF: Jae Crowder / Shaun Kilpatrick / Marcus Thornton
PF: LeBron James / Derrick Williams / JJ Hickson
C: Jusuf Nurkic / Meyers Leonard / Nikola Pekovic

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Some of the names being batted around are just not gettable. The Clippers need to keep Jordan. He is a top 10 center - the hardest position to fill. Mozgov is the Nuggets starting center. They aren't going to trade him for one of our backup big men.

Koufos is an interesting idea. We probably need to target someone's backup center or hit the free agent market. Koufos probably would cost a first round pick. Is he worth that? I am having center panic trade flashbacks to Vitaly Potopenko.... While missing out on a Shawn Marion in the next draft.
Zaza Pachulia might not cost much.

Marcin Gortat is an interesting option in free agency. If Washington loves Jeff Green, maybe a sign and trade would work.

Maybe the Celtics can lure a desperate center into a 1 year make good deal. A guy like Okafur or Hawes might fit if their free agent options run dry. Other than that i dont see a center free agent out there that is good enough to start.

Meanwhile 2015 is the summer of the center.

I know we dont want to go through another tank season, but next years draft is loaded with centers.

And if rondo stays and the Celtics find their winning ways, there are a stack of free agent big men next summer.

Marc Gasol
DeAndre Jordan
Omar Asik
Brook Lopez - if his foot heals
Robin Lopez
Roy Hibbert - if he opts out and finds himself again
Kanter - if he improves this year he might be worth the overpay
Vucevic - also might be worth overpaying as a restricted free agent
Chandler - might have enough in the tank, and if Dallas goes in another direction next year.

Gasol and Jordan are the big prizes though. Chase them down with the max. Make Memphis and LA think twice about paying the max themselves.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Green for Gortat?

Hayward to us then?

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Sign a scrub so we can tank more. I want Sullnger to play PF.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 10:57:19 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
how about alex len or otto potter or jeff whitey

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Fab Melo is 7ft

I agree with the stop gap idea. Pau or oakfor or both for 1 or 2 years. Solid until we find that next great Celtic big.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 11:27:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
how about alex len or otto potter or jeff whitey

Bahahahaha TP for that one.  It's Jeff Withey, not Whitey ;D

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I wonder what Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully/Pau Gasol could do in the East next year.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Probably one of the most underrated Centers in the NBA. Unrestricted FA, could be available for the MLE. Good defender and shot blocker, great midrange game.

Bass is an expiring contract now. I would love if it Ainge could find a way to trade Bass for Koufos. Only a short term solution but it should be enough to give the Celtics a chance at making playoffs next year.

I agree with this. Kosta Koufos will be a solid option at the 5. He wont blow you away with what he can do, but he's going to grab boards, finish down low and defend solidly. An expiring $6.9 million should be enticing.

Wasn't Jason Smith the guy who punked Blake Griffin a couple of years ago?  I seem to remember a very flagrant foul.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 11:34:34 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Would love to see Marcin Gortat on the Celtics. Outside of him and prospects like Noel or Drummond, not sure I'd want to see anyone tied up long term that would keep us from throwing big money at Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan. Always next year's draft as well. It's a big need, but one worth being patient with to get it right.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I wonder what Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully/Pau Gasol could do in the East next year.

You still think that Bradley will be here next season?  An emphatic no on Pau Gasol.  NO, NO, NO!  No former Lakers!  We don't need a Johnny Damon on the Yankees type of situation haha.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 11:41:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Wasn't Jason Smith the guy who punked Blake Griffin a couple of years ago?  I seem to remember a very flagrant foul.

Yes he was. He was the guy he did not gave up a highlight reel for Blake Grifffin, so he body checked him.

I love him as a player. A legit 7 footer with mid range game. Solid defensive skills too.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace