Author Topic: 6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.  (Read 26243 times)

Re: 6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2016, 11:28:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
for all you brain transplants, i wrote my post this morning pressing send, just as  cab arrived taking me to hospital for tests on my heart but they refused the tests because tuesday night,
 they thought i had a heart attack after going dizzy ,having full body torrential sweats going some ghastly color and getting fall down dizzy  and then the finale -projectile vomiting-i quickly recovered but wouldn't let my wife call an ambulance-

so back to marcus,

Sorry this made me LOL.

Get better my man.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2016, 12:38:52 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Get better Rollie! TP

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2016, 02:40:16 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Marcus Smart of last year, at least, could in no way run offense like Evan Turner good. Not in a million years. If he could have, the ball would have been in Smart's hands. Real tough skill to improve but the dude works hard so we'll see.
I was saying some of the role not all of it. The role where IT switches to off ball and Marcus would run a PnR with either Horford or Amir. Of course he couldn't have done it as effectively as ET but all it means is that he was lesser than ET not that he was extremely poor.
In the flashes we have seen him handle the ball he has been competent and showed promise. SL 2015, flashes during games and the USA select team this summer. The one thing he hasn't had is reps. You can only expect to get so far without consistent reps to hone the skill.
Bobby Manning wrote an article on it mid way through last year saying we should let go of ET at the end of the year and promote Smart. This was pre Rozier emergence tbf. At the time I said there was no way we should be letting go of ET just to make development time for Smart, of course I didn't see Portland paying that much for him. Worth a read as it brings up some good points. K O'Conner also wrote some good articles about his development.

@feckless I do agree that his shot selection is a problem. His off ball selection I think is due to him trying too hard to be a shooter when he isn't at that stage yet, his on ball selection is what worries me more. He isn't a good pull up shooter and he takes quite a few of those when on the ball. Again though consistent reps should help. As for the choices he makes I'll  need to watch him a bit more before agreeing on that, I tend to think he makes good choices. In the limited time he's spent on the ball he makes good decisions as to when to drop the pass to the rolling big or when to kick it out. Off the ball he makes the extra pass to the open man

« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2016, 06:40:37 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
another drag om marcus shot selection and stats is jerebko and kelly dumping the ball to marcus with time winding down
 jj needs time and kelly can be timid
-marcus would have to scan floor see if there was a play within time  or just shoot-
-in terms of bbiq, i am sure it increases with experience
this season will reveal much ,marcus didn't place that draft number on his back
 his injuries were of the hustle variety pushing the limits

i have a theory that the young kids often push their bodies to the limit and have to learn to temper their style of play
-a large majority of smarts class went down early in season and these were nba body ready kids

and thanks for concern guys-

any concern about rozier
-he got nailed at school over some sexual hijinks-this kid grew up hard and was still eating spaghetti sandwiches when drafted,now he has a lot of cash and snapping some pictures that should have stayed private along with some k insinuations
-add to that some young street fashions and bling that also can be misconstrued-
nobody likes to have a player cater too or alter their personal liberties but he should be made aware of the pitfalls of modern social media-

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:46:22 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2016, 07:19:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
i have a theory that the young kids often push their bodies to the limit and have to learn to temper their style of play

I think this is true, but not many push as hard as Marcus.

« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2016, 09:34:53 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Marcus Smart of last year, at least, could in no way run offense like Evan Turner good. Not in a million years. If he could have, the ball would have been in Smart's hands. Real tough skill to improve but the dude works hard so we'll see.
I was saying some of the role not all of it. The role where IT switches to off ball and Marcus would run a PnR with either Horford or Amir. Of course he couldn't have done it as effectively as ET but all it means is that he was lesser than ET not that he was extremely poor.
In the flashes we have seen him handle the ball he has been competent and showed promise. SL 2015, flashes during games and the USA select team this summer. The one thing he hasn't had is reps. You can only expect to get so far without consistent reps to hone the skill.
Bobby Manning wrote an article on it mid way through last year saying we should let go of ET at the end of the year and promote Smart. This was pre Rozier emergence tbf. At the time I said there was no way we should be letting go of ET just to make development time for Smart, of course I didn't see Portland paying that much for him. Worth a read as it brings up some good points. K O'Conner also wrote some good articles about his development.

@feckless I do agree that his shot selection is a problem. His off ball selection I think is due to him trying too hard to be a shooter when he isn't at that stage yet, his on ball selection is what worries me more. He isn't a good pull up shooter and he takes quite a few of those when on the ball. Again though consistent reps should help. As for the choices he makes I'll  need to watch him a bit more before agreeing on that, I tend to think he makes good choices. In the limited time he's spent on the ball he makes good decisions as to when to drop the pass to the rolling big or when to kick it out. Off the ball he makes the extra pass to the open man

I completely agree he should have had more reps at pg. I think the question of " can he be a point guard ? would have been answered by now. I think Stevens is good but He drives me nuts the way he has used him, not used Rozier( it took injuries to get his first non garbage minutes) and playing Sully over Olynyk.

« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
another drag om marcus shot selection and stats is jerebko and kelly dumping the ball to marcus with time winding down
 jj needs time and kelly can be timid
-marcus would have to scan floor see if there was a play within time  or just shoot-
-in terms of bbiq, i am sure it increases with experience
this season will reveal much ,marcus didn't place that draft number on his back
 his injuries were of the hustle variety pushing the limits

-a large majority of smarts class went down early in season and these were nba body ready kids

and thanks for concern guys-

any concern about rozier
-he got nailed at school over some sexual hijinks-this kid grew up hard and was still eating spaghetti sandwiches when drafted,now he has a lot of cash and snapping some pictures that should have stayed private along with some k insinuations
-add to that some young street fashions and bling that also can be misconstrued-
nobody likes to have a player cater too or alter their personal liberties but he should be made aware of the pitfalls of modern social media-

Rollie nothing to disagree with here, good post.

Feel better--take heart issues seriously--I had the the triple bypass a few years back, came out all positive...back to playing ball 2-3 times a week.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt