Author Topic: 6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.  (Read 26406 times)

Re: 6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I took the brain transplant myself as he doesn't have a high bbiq . He has to pull the ball out on a 3 on 2 break. He just hasn't shown the handle or awareness to play point.

That is in fact what I meant--I do not believe Marcus has PG instincts--just as Avery  &  Tony Allen--do not.  His brain is not wired that way--he has many talents but I do  not see him becoming a quality Point.

And yes I do respect his game for his defense and intangibles.

You just can't put him in the Bradley/Allen bracket of playmaking. That's unfair. Sure he's not an elite pg like Paul or Westbrook nor is he even starter level in his playmaking abilities yet. However he makes a good pocket pass on the PnR, he keeps his dribble alive and he shows a decent change of pace. I wouldn't trust him as the primary playmaker but he is certainly capable of running the 2nd unit or assuming some of the playmaking role of ET. For example the role ET played when IT moved off ball.

Bradley and Allen are in the class where you wouldn't trust them to bring it into the half court, although Bradley has improved in the last few years, as he has in all aspects. Allen is just not a ball handler.

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2016, 01:39:41 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I took the brain transplant myself as he doesn't have a high bbiq . He has to pull the ball out on a 3 on 2 break. He just hasn't shown the handle or awareness to play point.

That is in fact what I meant--I do not believe Marcus has PG instincts--just as Avery  &  Tony Allen--do not.  His brain is not wired that way--he has many talents but I do  not see him becoming a quality Point.

You just can't put him in the Bradley/Allen bracket of playmaking. That's unfair. Sure he's not an elite pg like Paul or Westbrook nor is he even starter level in his playmaking abilities yet. However he makes a good pocket pass on the PnR, he keeps his dribble alive and he shows a decent change of pace. I wouldn't trust him as the primary playmaker but he is certainly capable of running the 2nd unit or assuming some of the playmaking role of ET. For example the role ET played when IT moved off ball.

Bradley and Allen are in the class where you wouldn't trust them to bring it into the half court, although Bradley has improved in the last few years, as he has in all aspects. Allen is just not a ball handler.

I do not believe that Marcus without significant improvement in his BBIQ can play the role Evan Turner played last year. When injuries forced Brad to go deeper than Evan Turner he went to the rookie Terry Rozier to handle the ball and start the offense- not Marcus.  I would also point out that you list his skills with the ball, not his decision making-- choices which is where I think he presently is not a PG.  Due to his poor choices with ball movement and shot selection I do think he is no more of  a PG than Avery or TA.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2016, 02:05:35 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Just to clarify, I love Smart, and even if he's a role player coming off the bench for the next ten years, I'd still love to have him here.

He's everything that embodies true Celtic Character. The fact that he doesn't carry the burden of PG responsibilities, allows him to give even more energy on defense which is fantastic.

It's just that Randle plays exactly like I do, I love PF Bully's that play like him, but his shooting% sucks for a PF. Still glad we have Smart.

This is how I feel. He's a role player  you absolutely love to have on your team.

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
for all you brain transplants, i wrote my post this morning pressing send, just as  cab arrived taking me to hospital for tests on my heart but they refused the tests because tuesday night,
 they thought i had a heart attack after going dizzy ,having full body torrential sweats going some ghastly color and getting fall down dizzy  and then the finale -projectile vomiting-i quickly recovered but wouldn't let my wife call an ambulance-

so back to marcus, remember him guarding durant ,westbrook,porzingas,milsap,-remember his turn and block on cousins,his crashing the board putback,his diving for loose balls,his taking charges not his flops and just stripping the ball from power forwards
it is not easy to take that and switch gears to a clinical pointguard or get caught in the mindset i can hit from anywhere-[dang] the stats ,[dang] the clock
DANG THE CAPS

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2016, 02:12:25 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
In my opinion, Smart has demonstrated a consistent list of strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths:
*Extremely versatile and tenacious defender
*Above average court vision; high average capacity as a passer, but performing in the low average range due to weaknesses.
*Glue guy with above average intangibles -- would be well above average if he reduced the flopping and committed to making the right play on every possession.
*Offensive potential -- he has the ability to abuse smaller PGs in the post; he should be scoring more in transition, too, but needs to develop a euro-step and/or floater.

Weaknesses:
*Dumb fouls and bone-headed plays, in general, need to get worked out at this stage
*Well below average playmaker -- capable of making great passes, but struggles to create in iso and pnr.
* Not utilizing his strengths offensively. He has produced promising results when fed in the post against smaller PGs. I'm not sure if this is on coaching, Smart, or both (most likely).
*In general, obviously limited offensive ability -- can't shoot and his mechanics & hands need work imo; very limited in making plays for himself and others due to a) lack of a first step, b) low-below average handle for his position, c) struggle to finish at the rim, d) far less aggression on offense than defense

The cons don't outweigh the strengths-- every team wants and needs a guy like Smart to win a championship. I think his intangibles are top tier among all NBA players. But I also believe that if DA makes a big trade for a star happen, it'll include Smart -- due both to his weaknesses and his strengths.

Just my opinion but I don't agree with above avg court vision, not a good passer. I do like his post up but right now I struggle to find other pluses on the offensive side.
If say if he's not getting post ups and it's at a high success rate that's likely all on Stevens. I'm surprised he became a flopping guy but I'm confident he'll reign it in. He got unusual good treatment as a rookie from refs. I think he can gain that back without much trouble.

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2016, 02:24:11 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

I do not believe that Marcus without significant improvement in his BBIQ can play the role Evan Turner played last year. When injuries forced Brad to go deeper than Evan Turner he went to the rookie Terry Rozier to handle the ball and start the offense- not Marcus.  I would also point out that you list his skills with the ball, not his decision making-- choices which is where I think he presently is not a PG.  Due to his poor choices with ball movement and shot selection I do think he is no more of  a PG than Avery or TA.

Yeah, I actually think one of his weaknesses is he does NOT keep his dribble going. He has to pick it up or get rid of it under pressure usually. He just doesn't have good handle. Yeah, Rozier is much better with the ball and I don't think he has a pg brain either but he has quickness to keep the dribble going a little better. I think smart is careful with the ball so he picks it up or gets rid of it. Tony Allen I think has better handle but has been more reckless.

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Marcus Smart of last year, at least, could in no way run offense like Evan Turner good. Not in a million years. If he could have, the ball would have been in Smart's hands. Real tough skill to improve but the dude works hard so we'll see.

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
for all you brain transplants, i wrote my post this morning pressing send, just as  cab arrived taking me to hospital for tests on my heart but they refused the tests because tuesday night,
 they thought i had a heart attack after going dizzy ,having full body torrential sweats going some ghastly color and getting fall down dizzy  and then the finale -projectile vomiting-i quickly recovered but wouldn't let my wife call an ambulance-

so back to marcus, remember him guarding durant ,westbrook,porzingas,milsap,-remember his turn and block on cousins,his crashing the board putback,his diving for loose balls,his taking charges not his flops and just stripping the ball from power forwards
it is not easy to take that and switch gears to a clinical pointguard or get caught in the mindset i can hit from anywhere-[dang] the stats ,[dang] the clock
DANG THE CAPS
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Sending out good thoughts. Wish you well.

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

DANG THE CAPS
hope you get better rollie!

The forum needs you
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Get well, Rollie, some things are bigger than this game or blog.

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2016, 06:26:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Hope you feel better rollie!

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2016, 07:06:50 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hope you're well, rollie.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2016, 07:40:18 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
.  Obviously, Rollie is a popular dude. Nice community here. Very cool. I have a tight group  of exactly 10 wonderful friends . The 11 th guy is the only guy other than me who's favorite team is the Celtics. The others are either way more crazy about the  Pat's or Sox. The others definitely want the celts to win but more because a "way to go Boston" thing and don't all watch the playoff games. I'm grateful for Rollie and the rest of the crazy ( in a complimentary way) fans here to talk celts, that are such a passion for me.
Cheers dudes!🍺

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2016, 11:06:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Tp Danny, it's a good bunch of chaps for the most part :police:

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yep, for the most part (not this guy ^^^)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC