Author Topic: 6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.  (Read 26381 times)

Re: 6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Big Seek and Destroy PG. Overwhelming power and relentless attitude.

Opponents are going to hate playing against Smart.
Yeah he's going to have some foul trouble early in games.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I like the Smart pick.  He's big, strong, productive, and he's got great competitiveness. 

But, the comparison that instantly jumps into my head is Marcus Banks, another big, strong PG with excellent athleticism and quickness who put up great numbers in college.  The knocks on Banks were his lack of BBIQ and his anemic outside jumper.  Those are the same criticisms of Smart.

Every player is an individual, and needs to be judged on their own merits.  However, the Banks comparison is at least in the back of my head, which keeps me from getting *too* excited.

Marcus Banks wasn't supposed to be the best PG in two draft classes in a row and I have never heard Smart criticized for a low basketball IQ. 

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like the Smart pick.  He's big, strong, productive, and he's got great competitiveness. 

But, the comparison that instantly jumps into my head is Marcus Banks, another big, strong PG with excellent athleticism and quickness who put up great numbers in college.  The knocks on Banks were his lack of BBIQ and his anemic outside jumper.  Those are the same criticisms of Smart.

Every player is an individual, and needs to be judged on their own merits.  However, the Banks comparison is at least in the back of my head, which keeps me from getting *too* excited.

Marcus Banks wasn't supposed to be the best PG in two draft classes in a row and I have never heard Smart criticized for a low basketball IQ.

Regarding low BBIQ, here's what nbadraft.net says:

Not a very efficient scorer. Needs to take smarter jump shots and not settle for pull-up threes?Could stand to be more patient and unselfish rather than forcing it and becoming dead-set on taking a shot at times?His assist/turnover ratio of 1.78 is not great. Could certainly cut down on turnovers and be more patient on offense. ... Smart doesn't always maintain his composure, which can force him to make bad decisions both in and out of gameplay

So, substitute poor decision making and lack of composure with BBIQ, if it makes you feel better.  Those are his weaknesses right now, which are similar to Banks'.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sure there is NFL running back....

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2013/01/22/mens-college-basketball-oklahoma-state-marcus-smart-profile/1850729/

Pretty interesting article from last year that I only got to read now because I looked him up.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Not a very efficient scorer. Needs to take smarter jump shots and not settle for pull-up threes?Could stand to be more patient and unselfish rather than forcing it and becoming dead-set on taking a shot at times?His assist/turnover ratio of 1.78 is not great. Could certainly cut down on turnovers and be more patient on offense. ... Smart doesn't always maintain his composure, which can force him to make bad decisions both in and out of gameplay

So, substitute poor decision making and lack of composure with BBIQ, if it makes you feel better.  Those are his weaknesses right now, which are similar to Banks'.
I wonder whether it's going to help him if Rondo sets the table on offense.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I was just watching the defensive highlights and wow, I dunno how he will do in the NBA offensively, but defensively he is good. Different than Avery in that avery relies more on his quickness and tenacity to defend but Smart seems to know what the opponent will do before I even realize it (as I was watching). People say he is like Tony Allen defensively but TA defends much like bradley (thats why he bites on pump fakes a lot). MS is a smart defender (pun intended!)

We're going to be seeing plenty of those puns from now on.  ;D ;D

TP.

I do agree. MS seems to have better anticipation skills whereas Allen/Bradley are quicker, but rely more on using their hands. I personally love Allen/Bradley's defense, but its more foul prone, whereas MS seems to have a better knack which leads to less fouls, and more transitional offense from steals.

Yeah--I'm sick of them already.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Settled on the Wicked nickname?
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bradley is a decent shot , and can still play nice defense . He is horrible passer and ball handler in General .  Tuff little guy, who gets abused or ruffed up inside tying to finish . I think he is expendable for us at this point. .......

I like thought of shooting guard  Bayless paired with Smart at point guard .......these two have all business attitude on court , one can knock down shots outside and one take the ball to,the rim. 

Pressey backing Rondo and Smart up is good.  Kids attitude fits the Celtic mold.

I like the linebacker frame of Smart , and like D Wade , won't be afraid of the bigs inside when he goes to,the rim .   We do need somebody like Smart ......always looking to make teams pay when he attacks. 

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
This part is hilarious, "This guy will guard one's two's and threes with his weight, length, quickness, and toughness." Come on man, threes? Can we all just say Smart can't guard threes, no offense to Smart or anyone but the man is not guarding Durant although it would be cool to see Durant put 100 points on Smart. Durant would be taking set shots as if Smart was a bug flying around his waist.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This part is hilarious, "This guy will guard one's two's and threes with his weight, length, quickness, and toughness." Come on man, threes? Can we all just say Smart can't guard threes, no offense to Smart or anyone but the man is not guarding Durant although it would be cool to see Durant put 100 points on Smart. Durant would be taking set shots as if Smart was a bug flying around his waist.

More like a pit bull locked onto his ankle.  I agree, he won't be guarding threes.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »

Offline igorsure

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
He looks like a lot of Derrick Rose for me. Definitely, not in physical sense, with the way he is being on a game, presence and aggressiveness, looking for any hole in attacking the rim

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »

Offline igorsure

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
Durant is pretty unique beast for the threes. And yes, other then him there are a lot of other threes that are guardable for Smart

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The hilarious part is how people like to take statements completely out of context, and extrapolate that context to mean that a player will be able to guard everyone in a certain position in which he would be capable of filling in match-up specific opportunities.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 12:53:09 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

The hilarious part is how people like to take statements completely out of context, and extrapolate that context to mean that a player will be able to guard everyone in a certain position in which he would be capable of filling in match-up specific opportunities.

Durant is a freak of nature at 6'10 playing SF, and LeBron is 6'8

most 3s in the game are between 6'7 to 6'8, with a few in 6'9.