Author Topic: 6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.  (Read 26379 times)

6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.
« on: June 27, 2014, 02:53:59 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Ok I hope to have your attention. Now here is the scary part. The Scouts most important drill is the three lane drill. Between John Wall, Chris Paul, Smart, and Westbrook. The 230 Pound Smart beat them All!!! Now I was shocked at this. I guy this heavy 227 Officially. Is not supposed to beat John Wall and Westbrook of all people in a drill that's all about changing your direction and momentum. This year he was ranked Number One, of all point guards, in Wingspan, he's longer that Rondo, Steals per, Rebounds Per,  Opponent Defensive FG 27%!!!

This guy will guard one's two's and threes with his weight, length, quickness,  and toughness.

What other Heavy, quick, competitive, point guard can you remember. Body type maybe Baron Davis. but Smart is just so much more of an animal.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:44:27 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: 6'3" 230 Pound Point Guard. There is no comparison.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:56:06 AM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

Ok I hope to have your attention. Now here is the scary part. Out of the scouts all important three lane drill Between John Wall, Chris Paul, Smart, and Westbrook. The 230 Pound Smart beat them All!!! Now I was shocked at this. I guy this heavy 227 Officially. Is not supposed to beat John Wall and Westbrook of all people in a drill that's all about changing your direction and momentum. Thus year he was ranked Number One of all point guards in Wingspan, he's longer that Rondo. Steals per. Rebounds Per, Defensive FG% 27!!!

This guy will guard one's two's and threes with his weight, length, quickness, toughness. If you want me to try to compare someone he's Gary Payton but 50 pounds heavier and quicker and more athletic. And you won't be able to stop him from penetrating with his strength and ball handling.

What other Heavy, quick, competitive, point guard can you remember. Body type maybe Baron Davis. but Smart is just so much more of an animal.

All that, plus great two-way instinct, ridiculous tenacity and more intangibles than can be listed. He also led all prospects in WARP.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:57:37 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Bam there is your 10th TP.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:59:41 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Ok I hope to have your attention. Now here is the scary part. Out of the scouts all important three lane drill Between John Wall, Chris Paul, Smart, and Westbrook. The 230 Pound Smart beat them All!!! Now I was shocked at this. I guy this heavy 227 Officially. Is not supposed to beat John Wall and Westbrook of all people in a drill that's all about changing your direction and momentum. This year he was ranked Number One, of all point guards, in Wingspan, he's longer that Rondo, Steals per, Rebounds Per,  Opponent Defensive FG 27%!!!

This guy will guard one's two's and threes with his weight, length, quickness,  and toughness. If you want me to try to compare him to someone, he's Gary Payton, but 50 pounds heavier, and quicker and more athletic. And you won't be able to stop him from penetrating with his strength and ball handling.

Yup. I wasn't a huge fan at first, but I started watching more and more tapes of him. Wow. This guy works hard on the defensive end, and has a knack for piling on the steals. He moves like a cheetah when you take into the account he weighs over 230.

I also love how he sounded in his interviews. He sounds energetic, and really confident. I love that, you can tell him and Young will be great locker room individuals, and that's extremely valuable. I can't wait to see Rondo tutor him on passing.. Imagine if Smart could pass like Rondo...  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Smart is if I'm correct, excuse me if I'm not, just turned 19 right? Hes still pretty young, so he has plenty of room/growth and improvement in shooting. I'm not hard pressed for any obvious deficiencies... You know how people say Noah Vonleh, Exum, and a few other players need to bulk up and get more strength? LOL. You can't say that about Marcus Smart!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 03:06:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I was just watching the defensive highlights and wow, I dunno how he will do in the NBA offensively, but defensively he is good. Different than Avery in that avery relies more on his quickness and tenacity to defend but Smart seems to know what the opponent will do before I even realize it (as I was watching). People say he is like Tony Allen defensively but TA defends much like bradley (thats why he bites on pump fakes a lot). MS is a smart defender (pun intended!)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 03:09:05 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Ok I hope to have your attention. Now here is the scary part. Out of the scouts all important three lane drill Between John Wall, Chris Paul, Smart, and Westbrook. The 230 Pound Smart beat them All!!! Now I was shocked at this. I guy this heavy 227 Officially. Is not supposed to beat John Wall and Westbrook of all people in a drill that's all about changing your direction and momentum. This year he was ranked Number One, of all point guards, in Wingspan, he's longer that Rondo, Steals per, Rebounds Per,  Opponent Defensive FG 27%!!!

This guy will guard one's two's and threes with his weight, length, quickness,  and toughness. If you want me to try to compare him to someone, he's Gary Payton, but 50 pounds heavier, and quicker and more athletic. And you won't be able to stop him from penetrating with his strength and ball handling.

Like I said. he's the Lebron James of point guards......with a better shot tho, eventually.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 03:09:50 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I was just watching the defensive highlights and wow, I dunno how he will do in the NBA offensively, but defensively he is good. Different than Avery in that avery relies more on his quickness and tenacity to defend but Smart seems to know what the opponent will do before I even realize it (as I was watching). People say he is like Tony Allen defensively but TA defends much like bradley (thats why he bites on pump fakes a lot). MS is a smart defender (pun intended!)

We're going to be seeing plenty of those puns from now on.  ;D ;D

TP.

I do agree. MS seems to have better anticipation skills whereas Allen/Bradley are quicker, but rely more on using their hands. I personally love Allen/Bradley's defense, but its more foul prone, whereas MS seems to have a better knack which leads to less fouls, and more transitional offense from steals.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Big Seek and Destroy PG. Overwhelming power and relentless attitude.

Opponents are going to hate playing against Smart.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
It's not even that the pun is intended...it's unavoidable!
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:24:54 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I love his defense but he seems pretty one dimensional offensively. I can't wait till he starts passing better, and he gets some consistency on his shot.
- LilRip

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

Like I said. he's the Lebron James of point guards......with a better shot tho, eventually.

TP

I wrote this on another thread

I'm sure I'll get attacked for this but here is my perspective...

I watched a large amount of college basketball (it is the better version in my mind) and have been watching Smart since halfway through his freshman season.  He has some amazing qualities most of them previously stated by others on this forum, but here is my attempt at a concise list

+ Size, Strength, Physical Tools
+ Determination, Will, Competitiveness
+ Defensive ability to lock down opponents
+ Ability to hit big shots, penetrate and get to the line
+ Great Rebounder
+ Natural Leader

- turn over prone
- poor shot selection
- flops (often unfortunately)

+/- Intensity (live by the sword die by the sword)

The player he most reminds me of in playing style is Lebron.  I AM NOT SAYING HE IS GOING TO BE THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE. He just plays in the same mold.  Ball dominate at times, controlling the game with his physical tools, bullying his opponents with his strength, not a great shooter but hits big shots/timely shots.  I've been trying to make a comparison for him since last years draft when I thought Orlando was going to take him with the third pick, but as I watched him this season the style of Lebron's game just screamed out to me.  They're just the only two guards who I see use their gifts that way.  (Of also lived in South Florida for the last decade and seen an unfortunate amount of Queens James).  He'll be great with or with out Rondo as long as Rondo can deal with watching the ball move around to teammates, which is a worry I have about him anyway.  My two cents. 

another poster shared this http://grantland.com/features/marcus-smart-returns-oklahoma-state/

Read it.  The things some of these kids overcome is nothing short of amazing.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
^agreed about lebron especially physically.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think some of those guys just cruise through those drills and don't go all out. Someone posted his time in that lane drill in another thread and Smart had a similar time to JJ Reddick.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like the Smart pick.  He's big, strong, productive, and he's got great competitiveness. 

But, the comparison that instantly jumps into my head is Marcus Banks, another big, strong PG with excellent athleticism and quickness who put up great numbers in college.  The knocks on Banks were his lack of BBIQ and his anemic outside jumper.  Those are the same criticisms of Smart.

Every player is an individual, and needs to be judged on their own merits.  However, the Banks comparison is at least in the back of my head, which keeps me from getting *too* excited.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 09:46:50 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I also agree with this so +1000000

6'4", 230 lb? Mini Lebron in my honest opinion..not talking about size, I'm talking about being a TANK. LeBron is 6'8" at 250 and he just runs over anyone smaller than him...

I see Smart with his skill and size, will run over pg and sg that are smaller than him, heck, he may even bully some sg that are SLIGHTLY taller than him by an inch or two...most sg are < 230