Author Topic: welcome Marcus Smart and James Young  (Read 2675 times)

welcome Marcus Smart and James Young
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:35:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marcus Smart is a crazy player. 6'4 with a nice 6'9 wingspan for a pg/sg. He is a leader and willing to put his body on the line to make plays.  He can improve on his shooting efficiency and also shot selection . BS will help.  Get his overall shooting percentage to 45-47 percent (have him utilize his strength more like posting up, driving in more) and shooting threes at 35-37 percent.   He reminds me of a Tony Allen. But a more skilled version. A guy that has handles, can pass the ball and can shoot the ball better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0fCnp2oH_Y

James Young was great at the NCAA march madness run. He had a mediocre regular season but showed alot of people he is able to turn it on in critical games.  6'7 SG with a nice 6'11 wingspan.  Lefty with a very smooth shooting stroke and can shoot it from very deep.  Underrated athlete and still very young.  Sick dunk below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlARGQ1yrW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zSIQl1o5N8
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:41:40 AM by triboy16f »

Re: welcome Marcus Smart and James Young
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:44:15 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Can he play the 3? I was thinking that he could back-up Jeff Green for the meantime that Green is here.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 01:47:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Can he play the 3? I was thinking that he could back-up Jeff Green for the meantime that Green is here.

James Young actually has a 7'0" wingspan.   I think he can play some 3 but really is a SG.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Young has the length to play SF (6'6 with 7'0 wingspan, could still grow) but he has to bulk up to really play the position.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 03:45:52 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
I would like Danny Ainge to trade down & get McDermott plus an additional picks but i'm happy with these dudes. Smart can play pg/sg, Young can play sg/sf & both have a lot of potential. So welcome :)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 06:40:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Some full games i found on youtube.  If you want to get an idea of the type of players we are getting

Marcus Smart #33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m7K3442WxQ

James Young #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP0d1Ugh-wA

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:34:55 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Welcome aboard fellas!

I like these picks a lot.  Some versatility, toughness, and plenty of skill.

I wonder how long before they are starters.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 10:05:48 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
In that game against Kansas, I am actually blown away by how many times Smart takes it right at Embiid at the rim.  Obviously this only shows his highlights, so we don't see the shots that may have been blocked or stripped.  But even right down to the wire, he still had the cajones to drive it right at the #1 center prospect in the nation.  Impressive stuff.

I also really like the one drive where he gets just inside the free throw line and pulls up for a short, off-balance jumper in the lane.  It was like a floater-teardop hybrid shot.  Showed great touch at that distance.  And I think that's a shot that will be there for him in NBA.

I read the comparisons to Tony Allen, and I think they're valid.  But Tony had virtually no off-the-dribble jumper, and he was often out of control on his drives.  I don't see that at all with Smart.  He seems very much under control at all times.  He just needs to tweak his shot selection to become more efficient.

Overall I was initially very much against picking Smart.  But Celtics Nation has done a great job of "selling me on him in the past few days.  I have reversed course and am now happy with the pick.  I absolutely can't wait for summer league to see how he does against some bigger guys.

p.s. That James Young dunk in the tournament was one of the best in-game dunks ever in college basketball, IMO.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
idk why, for some odd reason I see James Young as a mini version of Paul George...tall for his position with probably potential to grow another inch or two. 7'0 wingspan HOLY SMOKES!

If he can develop right, I can definitely see him replace Jeff Green if we choose to part ways with him. I think him coming off the bench is good for him as it won't be too much pressure for him, and I think we have more expectations of Smart than Young.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:53:06 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Love the way he went at Embiid. Kinda made him look weak.

So, here's my Marcus Smart comp:

- Tony Allen, Sherron Collins hybrid. He's got the strength, quicks, defense and toughness of TA combined with the ball handling, shooting and play making ability of Sherron Collins. Anyone else feeling this? I'm liking this blend.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Love the way he went at Embiid. Kinda made him look weak.

So, here's my Marcus Smart comp:

- Tony Allen, Sherron Collins hybrid. He's got the strength, quicks, defense and toughness of TA combined with the ball handling, shooting and play making ability of Sherron Collins. Anyone else feeling this? I'm liking this blend.

Sherron Collins. . . hmmmmm, I consider myself an NBA junkie going back to the mid 80's.  But I do not recognize this name.  Had to look him up, and I do vaguely remember him from Kansas (he's a D-leaguer right now).  Can you compare him to someone a bit more well known?

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I don't know about comps but I do know this if Smart becomes a adequate shooter ( which I think he will, form is not awful )  he will be a perennial NBA All-Star...The make-up on this kid is through the roof + elite defense, ability to get to the rim ( shoots over 70% already ) and his passing ability....The absolute floor for this kid is a defensive stopper ( that's if he doesn't improve at all)  Ceiling for this kid is a NBA All-Star, team leader and cornerstone player for the next 10-12 years...